PDA

View Full Version : specality pc q'ssss

camatv
12-09-2004, 08:49 PM
hello i am so happy to find a place to ask about powder coat!!! on the specialty colors i am dooing a frame int he black stardust and going to try and topcoat in red trans.. have you ever done any dark colors under the trans colors? looking for a red/black/flake look.... and i am going to top coat a refleca chrome in the red trans ...... any translucent powder over polished alluminum looks a LOT like anodize.... check out the 350r at mpracing site ( i think..) also any tips on using the translucent colors?? thanks for any replies!!

Pappy
12-09-2004, 08:54 PM
mixing powders can sometimes bring out a decent effect..sometimes not.

translucents over a darker base will usually change the color of the translucent. silvervein is as dark as i like to go with. using the trans red over black with chrome mixed in sounds ok i guess, but i dont know how the 3 different powders (chemistry wise) will react.

try out a few small test tubes and play with the mixture and settle on something you like:confused:

camatv
12-09-2004, 09:08 PM
oh no just the red over the black flake... the reflecta i am using on the case halves they have a lof of scoring from old alluminum and i didnt want to take the time to polish them.. just blasted them and the coat with the reflecta and then the red.... gues you could get some weird stuff with mixing them.... also i have heard of coating with one color (like the reflecta) and then waiting until "flow out?" and then pulling the part and coating with the second color and then curing the piece the full time?? ever do that?? thanks this is going on a cr500 3 wheeler conversion i am working on....

Pappy
12-10-2004, 05:51 AM
yes i do 2 , 3 even 4 and 5 layer powders all the time. it takes practice but once you do a few hundred parts its not bad:p

if your using redflake additive i suggest mixing it in the black then using straight clear.

camatv
12-10-2004, 11:22 AM
additive?? where can i see the different types of stuff you can add..? all i have is a catalog from eastwood and caswell plating... what (if any ) are some good sources to find different powders? and i really appreciate the conversation so far!

Pappy
12-10-2004, 07:22 PM
i use www.columbiacoatings.com for the majority of my translucent colors and colors with pre mixed additives.