PDA

View Full Version : Light weight Piston

tdsongster
12-09-2004, 07:28 PM
Some commented in these forums that the ross piston and pin are just as strong as any other brand but weight less. Does anyone know this for a fact?

Thanks...

mojoe2878
12-09-2004, 07:32 PM
i dont know if they are as strong but they probably do weigh less because they are a little shorter than most other pistons.

Toadz400
12-09-2004, 09:25 PM
Won't a lighter piston throw off the balancing of the crank?

mojoe2878
12-10-2004, 03:58 AM
Originally posted by Toadz400
Won't a lighter piston throw off the balancing of the crank?
no, the crank and piston are balanced seperatly.
the crank is balanced and then the piston manufacturer balances there pistons when they are made.

cals400ex
12-10-2004, 11:23 AM
we need to realize that any aftermarket piston will be different in weight than stock. also, look as the bore changes. the piston gets larger as you bore it out. you can actually buy a ligher ross pin too. i believe this pin cost me an extra $30. the piston, rings, circlips, and regular piston pin will cost around $120 i believe. i also had my piston thermally coated which added to the price. the ross pistons are forged. i have ran an 86 and an 88mm ross piston. both worked great. my buddy actually got a je and by a quick glance, you can't even tell them apart. the wiseco's do look different though. well, the ones i have seen do.

400exrider707
12-10-2004, 12:12 PM
whats everyone's opinion about the wiseco, it seems to be a bigger name, but it seems that most people are running a je or ross, I would consider je, but never really heard of ross, but it seems like you guys have had good luck with them, anyways about the wiseco............

Toadz400
12-10-2004, 12:27 PM
Sorry about the stupid balancing question, I just had seen someone mention it on this site before, wasn't quite sure but I thought it was wrong since any piston is going to weigh differently.

cals400ex
12-10-2004, 07:10 PM
Originally posted by Toadz400
Sorry about the stupid balancing question, I just had seen someone mention it on this site before, wasn't quite sure but I thought it was wrong since any piston is going to weigh differently.

hey, not really a stupid question. the forum is here for us to learn.

most people tend to run je or ross pistons. some of the engine builders use wiseco, but i believe they custom cut their pistons to their standards. i personally will not change away from ross unless i have a builder custom a piston for my setup.