PDA

View Full Version : Suspension Setup Questions

GA400ex
12-09-2004, 07:05 PM
OK I have done a lot of searching and I think I got this much down:
(by the way this is for the 450r)

Sag/Pre-load
Loosen nuts at top of the springs to lower the quad which gives you more sag.
Tighten nuts at top of the springs to raise the quad which gives you less sag.

Rebound – downward motion of the shock (Bottom screw):
Turn to the right (clockwise) makes the shock move down slower.
Turn to the left (counter-clockwise) makes the shock move down faster.

Compression – upward motion of the shock (Top screw):
Turn to the right (clockwise) makes the shock move up faster.
Turn to the left (counter-clockwise) makes the shock move up slower.

I have been searching and the terminology seems to be different in the posts that I have found. Could someone please give me some examples of when to adjust rebound and compression. I ride mx and weigh about 190lbs with gear on.

I think that I have the sag part down; the quad should have about 8 inches of clearance if measured at the pegs and right behind the back lower a-arm mount. Thanks

R3Concepts
12-09-2004, 08:19 PM
Thats wrong. Compression meaning to come together(down stroke), rebound meaning come back up or apart(up stroke). Also if these are stock front shocks then you might get it 1/2 inch lower by running the collars all the way to the top but thats it. Zero preloads are what you need if you are worrying about sag. i doubt that you will get the 450R close to 8" ride height but I could be wrong. Adjust compression when you find your self bottoming out. Adjust rebound when you, say hit a fast section of whoops, if the rebound is set to slow the bike will "pack up" meaning the shock doesnt have time to return fast enough to its original state before the next bump or whoop.

Jpoutlaw250R
12-09-2004, 09:10 PM
Also w/the rebound on the rear shock if it is set too quick it will want to buck u over the bars because it will still be movin down when u hit the next woop. The easiest way for me to remember is the compression is when the shock compresses together (moves down) and the rebound is how it rebounds (extends or bounces) back up after it is compressed. Hope this helped a lil atleast.

GA400ex
12-10-2004, 05:35 AM
Thanks for the help

12-10-2004, 05:19 PM
Here's my web site and it explains everything you need to know under "tech guides" and click on suspension setup. Let me know if you have any more questions or if it is confusing after you read my guide?

GA400ex
12-12-2004, 05:24 PM
I think your site may be down, I will try again later

12-13-2004, 06:24 AM
It's not down.

GA400ex
12-13-2004, 10:48 AM
Thanks, lots of good info on your site