View Full Version : sparks or esr

mikes450r
12-09-2004, 06:45 PM
hey guys i just want to see what you all thought about these two companies...these two are the closest to me when it comes to doing motor work..i have been waiting to get my 450 into sparks for about 6 months now and still have been able to..he probably cant even do it till mid to late january..so i called ESR and they said they could have in it and out in about 2 wks from now..so my question is do you guys think it would be better to wait for curtis sparks to do it??do you guys think there will be that much of a power difference between the two...thanks for all your guys help..mike

beerock
12-09-2004, 07:08 PM
you gotta wait for the best

RedRacer44
12-09-2004, 07:50 PM
Sparks is one of the best and is definitely worth the wait, I've seen 1st hand what he can build.

The thing about Sanders (ESR) is that they're old 2-stroke engine builders and just recently really got into the 4-stroke market so ya have to wonder how good of a 4-stroke engine builder are they? I'm not taking anything away from them because when it comes to 250Rs, their powervalve cylinders are the ****!! They know Hondas but just how well do they know 450Rs? Do ya get what I'm saying?

I dont think you could go wrong with either one but if you can wait for Sparks, it'd probably be worth it. If not? Well, send it to Sanders and see what they can do! I'd like to know what kinda thumper motors they're building now myself. ESR is top-quality either way.....

brandonpeake
12-09-2004, 08:13 PM
i would not wait for sparks, i think he is a rip off with terrible customer support, i would go with someone else personally, C&D is building my motor

oldsandman
12-09-2004, 09:47 PM
ESR is getting into the 4 stroke stuff in a big way. They have lots of dyno time on the trx now and are working on having everything in stock for a quick turnaround. For customer service they are hard to beat.

mikes450r
12-09-2004, 11:34 PM
esr told me the biggest their going right now is a 480 kit...which they said they dyno at 48hp...

twisted threads
12-10-2004, 08:52 AM
Originally posted by oldsandman
ESR is getting into the 4 stroke stuff in a big way. They have lots of dyno time on the trx now and are working on having everything in stock for a quick turnaround. For customer service they are hard to beat.

I agree. ESR is going to be one of the top 4 stroke company very soon...... there probley one of the best already. And I have had very good luck with them so far with my 2 strokes.

quadjeff
12-10-2004, 04:02 PM
Go with DASA. There service is really good and sparks is way over rated for having to put up with all of that crap. Check them out.... www.teamracersedge.com You will not be disappointed... Lead-time is 2-4 weeks since eveyone is screwing around with sparks..

easman31
12-10-2004, 10:09 PM
A 480 putting out 48hp is not something to brag about. I have seen sparks 450 with the works put out alot more. Sparks will be worth the wait. Yeah you may wait. But the reliability and most importantly the power. Tim Farr had Curtis do his motors for a reason. They are the fastest. Best of luck...

kazpr
12-10-2004, 10:23 PM
If you are not in a big hurry wait for Sparks. If you are then screw it go somewhere else. If I had the $$ no questions Sparks the Ahole would be doing mine. I have not had very good luck with them when it comes to getting my parts :( So once I get my motor together it
BETTER RIP!!!

R3Concepts
12-12-2004, 01:07 PM
All builders mentioned are great. Sparks is the man, look at the 4 Stroke Wars. ESR is the man when it comes to 2 strokes, look at his 370 PV Honda motors, big hp. Im sure he can figure out 4 strokes as well. And Dan @ DASA has found some big numbers for the 450R, but his big numbers come at a price. Rudy @ DFR just switched his bike for Ricky over from Sparks to DASA and seems to really like what DASA did, not to mention DASA did a lot more to the motor then what they had Sparks do. They let Kieth ride the bike and he said it was faster then his all Sparks CRF. Any of these builders would be fine.

brandonpeake
12-13-2004, 08:25 AM
i have not known anyone who has an esr pipe, would like to see how they perform

btlblwnracer
12-14-2004, 07:34 AM
i have a esr pipe and love the way it performs , i had a white bros. carbon pro , what a pile . the pipe did'nt fit at all rubbed on the case, sent it back to white bros. they said it was fine, forgot to send me my mounting hardware back :mad: , i still could'nt to get it to fit , took it back to the shop i bought it from , they could'nt get it to fit, called white bros again and they basically said we did'nt know what we where doing :grr: . i bought the esr and it fits great , performance is better than the white bros (seat of pants ) definatly has more bottom end and feels like it pulls just as hard on top, im happy with it anyway. matt

kazpr
12-14-2004, 07:44 AM
btlblwnracer can you post a picture of it? Thanks alot

btlblwnracer
12-14-2004, 07:54 AM
ok have been trying to send pic , how do i get it from "my pics" to this forum?

kazpr
12-14-2004, 09:24 AM
You can email it to me @ scobee@gmail.com

mikes450r
12-14-2004, 10:50 AM
i think i read in dirt wheels that the esr pipe didnt do to good on the yfz..

mikes450r
12-14-2004, 10:50 AM
but i really like the looks of the exaust

btlblwnracer
12-14-2004, 11:11 AM
i really would'nt trust everything you read in yamawheels but in ther own words "the esr pipe was very quick revving. it had the BEST overall powerband. by far the best on top end. the esr installed easy and solid and looks graet and unique. we could'nt find any thing wrong with this product except weight."
the other thing that yamawheels leftout was the fact the the esr pipe also had the optional supertrapp end cap to help limit noise , ( refer to pics in yamawheels ) and the pipe still was only .4 hp lower on top then the best pipe and only .3 hp lower in the mid off the best mid range pipe :muscle: , so i think thats pretty good in my book.

mikes450r
12-14-2004, 11:32 AM
lol...i like the yamawheels...that isnt a joke

mx3mom
12-14-2004, 07:48 PM
Just wondering how you guys think LRD falls in the category of motor building. Do they have anything for the 4-strokes? And what about CT?

btlblwnracer
12-15-2004, 11:04 AM
i know lrd offers a pipe for the 450r and some other fourstrokes, a couple of guys around here have some of there stuff on a 250r and a LT250r and both had only good things to say about them, but i don't know anyone that has anything of theres on a fourstroke.sorry I could'nt be of more help. matt

mx3mom
12-15-2004, 11:22 AM
Thanks for replying. I need to have some motor work done on a four stroke (YFZ450) but I don't know who to go to. Anyone else with suggestions?

btlblwnracer
12-15-2004, 11:40 AM
depending on what your going to race (xc/mx) , ive heard that mickey dunlaps four stroke tech has some killer xc setups .

brandonpeake
12-15-2004, 01:13 PM
FST does good wokr but is high in my opinion i would talk to C&D RAcing they are doing my R right now or Gt thunder has some nice setups for reasonable and both have nice turnaround times