PDA

View Full Version : phishing email

QuadJunkies
12-09-2004, 08:03 AM

What is a "phishing" e-mail?
"Phishing" is a term used to describe fraudulent e-mail designed to steal your identity. These imposter e-mails may appear to come from MSN® or other reputable companies, but are actually from thieves masquerading as legitimate businesses. The e-mail will ask you to disclose, on a phony Web site or in a phony dialog box, personal information, such as your account data or Social Security number. The thieves then steal that personal information to harm your good name. Depending on the information you may have provided, they can access your accounts, open new ones, steal your funds and even commit crimes-all in your name.

How the thieves steal your personal information.
Phishing e-mails typically suggest that if you do not update your personal information, your account will be closed. The e-mail instructs you to click on a link that redirects you to a fake Web site. These "spoofed" sites look official and include logos and fonts used by the companies they imitate.

Look for these warning signs:

Urgent tone. The message urges you to "act quickly" or your account will be closed.

Spelling and grammatical errors. The wording may be sloppy and contain typographical errors and misspellings.

Request for financial information. They often ask for your e-mail address and password, first and last names, credit card numbers, bank account numbers, account PIN numbers and Social Security numbers.

Fake Web address. An "@" symbol in a Web site address may indicate that the source might be imitating a company or person (For example: www.microsoft@billing.com is fake). Or, if the address includes any words between "microsoft" and ".com" or "msn" and ".com," the Web site is fraudulent (For example: msn.example.com and msnbilling.com are not Microsoft® Web sites.)

Non-secure Web pages. Their sites and URL may look like official company sites, but they are not. Watch out for non-secure Web pages that ask for sensitive information. Secure sites use encryption technology to protect your information. They display a locked padlock at the bottom of your browser and add an "s" after http in the address bar (for example, https://signup.msn.com).

If it sounds too good to be true, it probably is. Scam artists can paint attractive pictures of "valuable offers" and "great deals." Odds are, they're just looking for other ways to access your valuable personal information.

What can you do to help protect yourself?

Be suspicious. Messages threatening to terminate or suspend your account without your quick response should be treated as suspicious. Also, be wary of clicking on links in e-mail messages.

Always type in the URL of the Web page you want. Phishing scam e-mails include a link that takes you to a fake Web site. We recommend typing https://billing.microsoft.com in the address bar of your browser to ensure that you are visiting the legitimate billing section of the MSN site.

Scroll over the URL. If you move your mouse over the URL and numbers or a different URL appear, it's probably fraudulent.

Keep your account up to date. MSN customers can visit https://billing.microsoft.com to update personal account information. Most legitimate businesses, including Microsoft and MSN, will not ask for personal information via e-mail.

Recognizing legitimate MSN communications
Official e-mail to MSN members from MSN Member Services or Microsoft Online Services always arrives with the MSN butterfly logo on the left side of the e-mail envelope in the header. While a scam artist can add a butterfly to the e-mail message itself, no one except MSN Member Services or Microsoft Online Services can put the MSN butterfly in this location that you see before opening the e-mail itself.

If you receive a suspicious online solicitation, send an e-mail to abuse@msn.com to verify that the e-mail is authentic. Remember to always type in the e-mail address yourself.

What if you've received a suspicious phishing e-mail?
If you receive suspicious e-mail that appears to come from MSN, please notify us immediately via e-mail. Please do not forward the e-mail. Instead, open a new e-mail message, drag the envelope icon that represents the offensive e-mail into the new message and send the message to abuse@msn.com.

You should also forward the e-mail information to government agencies, such as the Federal Trade Commission (FTC)-which can be contacted via spam@uce.gov or 877.IDTHEFT (877.438.4338), or by accessing their Web site at http://www.consumer.gov/idtheft—and the Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) through the Internet Fraud Complaint Center at http://www.ifccfbi.gov The Anti-Phishing Working Group, an e-commerce industry trade association, can also be contacted at reportphishing@antiphishing.org.

What if you've been a victim of a phishing scam?
If you feel your personal information has been jeopardized:

Close any accounts accessed or opened fraudulently.

Change the passwords and PINs on all of your online accounts.

File a report with your local police department or wherever the subsequent identity theft occurred.

Contact each of the three major U.S. credit bureaus and place a fraud alert on your credit reports:
- Equifax: 1-800-525-6285
- Experian: 1-888-397-3742
- TransUnion: 1-800-680-7289

I had this happen to me last week, I sent the person a letter explaining that my account wasnt due to expire until Jan and and I called MSN immediately... truned out it was THIS..... :eek2: Im glad I didnt send them my Credit Card info...
I just wantd to post this so that hopefully no one gets scammed by these creeps.... :mad:

JOEX
12-09-2004, 09:49 PM
Ive been getting more and more suspicious emails lately. I also get alot with someone elses addy in the header.

Thanks for the info:)

SGA
12-09-2004, 10:04 PM
I fell asleep reading that long post, so I had no time to answer fake emails:D

Just kidding Tina, thanks for the good post:)

QuadJunkies
12-09-2004, 10:31 PM
Originally posted by SGA
I fell asleep reading that long post, so I had no time to answer fake emails:D

Just kidding Tina, thanks for the good post:) that was a rather long post Eh..... :huh :o

Guy400
12-10-2004, 04:49 AM
I probably get 2-3 of these a week. I've received an email everyday for the last 3 days supposedly coming from Paypal telling me my credit card is about to expire and I need to click on a link and update my information. I love when you read the news and see that they caught some of these people.