PDA

View Full Version : z400 steers hard to the left

dwcrash
12-09-2004, 07:39 AM
My steering became really hard to the left after my last xc race. I did smack a tree pretty hard. I pulled the steering stem and it does seem to be bent. My question is wouldn't it steer hard to the left and right? Thanks

NacsMXer
12-09-2004, 07:56 AM
It depends on which side of the stem is twisted. My buddy's stem is tweaked too and his 400 can make right turns like no other. The wheels basically turn completely sideways but the quad still goes in a straight line. You might want to check out your tie rods too as they can bend easily. I'm not sure if I understand your question though, a bent stem can give you some increase in the range of your turning, or it can cause your quad to veer to one side or another when the bars are straight.

dwcrash
12-09-2004, 08:05 AM
Originally posted by NacsMXer
[B]It depends on which side of the stem is twisted. My buddy's stem is tweaked too and his 400 can make right turns like no other. The wheels basically turn completely sideways but the quad still goes in a straight line. You might want to check out your tie rods too as they can bend easily. I'm not sure if I understand your question though, a bent stem can give you some increase in the range of your turning, or it can cause your quad to veer to one side or another when the bars are straight. [/BMy tie rods seemed ok, I took them loose from my stem and it is still really tight to the left . I took the upper stem mount loose and it steered ok both directions but when I put the upper mount back on it steers tight to the left. All this is with the quad up on a stand. I also took my stabilizer off to make sure that wasn't it.]

12-09-2004, 08:47 PM
could be frame?

batgeek
12-10-2004, 01:07 AM
thats what i'm thinking.

set that puppy up on it's *** and look at the area right behind the a-arms.

same thing happened to my KFX and you couldn't tell very well when it was sitting on all fours. soon as i sat it up on the rear wheels and grab bar to power wash the under side, it was VERY easy to see that i had bent my frame.

StuntMentD4
12-10-2004, 05:17 AM
ya i was down n the dunes flyen through the trails (4th gear) with my brand new sandstars on douglas wheels with the off set way wide (6 inches wider n the front:eek2: ) well not used to the width i cliped a root on the side of the trail and put my wheel back up against my a armso its pointen right wen ur on the qaud i think i may have bent my stem but i have been riden it for the past 2 mounths and it dosnt stear off but it turns farther to the right then it will to the left and wen ever ur pushing it the wheels always turn so is it the stem??

sry to take ur thread way
and sry for the long post

dwcrash
12-10-2004, 10:02 AM
Originally posted by batgeek
thats what i'm thinking.

set that puppy up on it's *** and look at the area right behind the a-arms.

same thing happened to my KFX and you couldn't tell very well when it was sitting on all fours. soon as i sat it up on the rear wheels and grab bar to power wash the under side, it was VERY easy to see that i had bent my frame. I checked the frame behind the a-arms and it seems ok. I took the bushing out of the steerinf stem and that does seem bent some. Is this fixable? I was wondering if a knew stem would take care of most it?