PDA

View Full Version : R.I.P. Dimebag Darrell

gncc400exxx
12-09-2004, 07:07 AM
R.I.P. "Dimebag" Darrell Abbott

COLUMBUS, Ohio (CNN) -- A gunman stormed the stage during a heavy metal concert in Columbus, Ohio, on Wednesday night, firing at the band and audience and killing four people before a police officer shot and killed him, according to police.

One of the dead was guitarist "Dimebag" Darrell Abbott. The gunman also wounded two people.

The man was "targeting members in the band," Columbus police Sgt. Brent Mull said.

Before the gunman was shot, police said, he grabbed a hostage and fired into the crowd. It was not clear what happened to the hostage.

The attack came shortly after the band, Damageplan, began its performance at the Alrosa Villa nightclub on Columbus' north end.

One of the wounded is in critical condition, and the other is hospitalized with non-life-threatening injuries, police said. Two others were injured in the incident and treated at the scene, although the nature of their injuries was not clear.

According to witnesses, the gunman initially shot the band's guitarist, Dimebag Darrell.

Darrell, 38, and his brother, Vinnie Paul, 40, formed Damageplan after Pantera -- a group they formed in the 1980s -- broke up last year. Their father is Jerry Abbott, a country and western songwriter and producer.

Police were notified of the shooting around 10:18 p.m., Mull said. A uniformed police officer who was near the scene slipped into the venue from a back entrance, confronted the gunman during the rampage and killed him.

"If not for the officer who showed up, there would have been more dead," Mull said.

gncc400exxx
12-09-2004, 07:08 AM
D

YLW400
12-09-2004, 07:12 AM
what the??!?!?!?!:( That sucks man.

Rico
12-09-2004, 07:55 AM
At least the gunman got what he had coming but it's still a sad situation.

Long live Pantera...:macho

Quadude32
12-09-2004, 08:32 AM
Very Sad Newz R.I.P DimeBag Darrell

muddkitten
12-09-2004, 08:40 AM
yeah it sucks! i heard it on the radio this mornin!:(

Destructo
12-09-2004, 09:08 AM
I don't think he deserved death...

I would have shot out both his knees and made him crawl back to the jail where he was going to procede to spend the rest of his life there. To me, that would be much worse than death.

Its a sad thing none-the-less, I never listened to Pantera, but it pisses me off when somebody does crap like that.

SixthFloorFreak
12-09-2004, 09:21 AM
:(

RIP

moto50
12-09-2004, 10:18 AM
Originally posted by Destructo

I would have shot out both his knees and made him crawl back to the jail where he was going to procede to spend the rest of his life there. To me, that would be much worse than death.

Its a sad thing none-the-less, I never listened to Pantera, but it pisses me off when somebody does crap like that.

What are you talking about?
He was one of the greatest heavy metal guitar players of all time.

bradley300
12-09-2004, 10:24 AM
Originally posted by moto50
What are you talking about?
He was one of the greatest heavy metal guitar players of all time.

i think he's talking about the gunmen.

the officer did kill him with a close range head shot with a police issue 12 gage:devil: that coudnt have been pretty

zephead400ex
12-09-2004, 10:30 AM
Yep, that's bullsh*t! I hate chicken sh*t *******s!

Pappy
12-09-2004, 10:32 AM
Originally posted by zephead400ex
Yep, that's bullsh*t! I hate chicken sh*t *******s!

i dont think walking up to a guy and blowing his brains out in public is chickenchit...very stipid, very wrong and immoral but hardly chickenchit:p

i cant think what this fella must have done to get this guy mad enough at him to kill him...or was it just a nutjob:confused:

2000ex
12-09-2004, 10:37 AM
Today is a sad day in metal. Dimebag Darrel was one of the best metal guitarists of all time and he will be sadly missed.

The most creepy part was last night before I left work I was listening to the song "Cemetary Gates" and it was the last song I heard until I woke up and heard of this tragedy :(

RIP Dimebag

zephead400ex
12-09-2004, 10:41 AM
Originally posted by Pappy
i dont think walking up to a guy and blowing his brains out in public is chickenchit...very stipid, very wrong and immoral but hardly chickenchit:p

i cant think what this fella must have done to get this guy mad enough at him to kill him...or was it just a nutjob:confused:

Well, it's chickenchit if you ask me....didn't even give dude a chance to defend himself.

schootar
12-09-2004, 11:18 AM
Most metal bands today were influenced some way or another by Pantera. I saw them in concert at least 3 times. They always put on one hell of a show. Dimebag had amazing talent on the guitar. RIP Dimebag

Pappy
12-09-2004, 11:21 AM
Originally posted by zephead400ex
Well, it's chickenchit if you ask me....didn't even give dude a chance to defend himself.

thats why i asked if anyone knew WHY the shooter did it? some things dont require giving a person a chance. i dont condone killing, but the life you lead my end up that way.

lets face it...he had a lot of fans but i dont believe anyone is going to shed a tear simply because he was badazz on the stage....if his personal life led to this then what can you do.

it does show the mentality of freeks that walk this planet tho. they said a few bouncers were following the shooter but didnt get to him in time:confused:

MY450R
12-09-2004, 11:28 AM
i have every pantera album there is
very sad that happened and with a shotgun to the head
wow

JTRtrx250r
12-09-2004, 11:32 AM
:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: UN ..MOTHER... F'N REAL:(

R.I.P. DB:(

FourFiftyFour
12-09-2004, 11:59 AM
that is horrible Dimebag was one of the best guitarists ever. Damageplan was sounding to be a really good band too. RIP man :(

Foxrage
12-09-2004, 12:02 PM
I was reading an article on this a few minutes ago. Well while i was reading it i was listening to Damage Plan and when i got to a part that brought up the part about it was the same day John Linnen was killed The cover song By perfect Circle came on the John linnen wrote. It kind of freeked me out that i made a playlist a few days back and it happened to play that way while reading it.

Anyway Pantera was the one of the best bands ever and want to show THIS LOVE!!!

Rdhanded2
12-09-2004, 12:03 PM
I applaud the police officer for doing his job, and stopping this before more innocent people were killed and or injured!

popo
12-09-2004, 12:37 PM
Originally posted by Rdhanded2
I applaud the police officer for doing his job, and stopping this before more innocent people were killed and or injured!

Thank You, I will make sure he gets your message.

As an Officer involved in a shooting, it is not a joyful thing to go thru.

The sad part is some patrons took it upon themselves to steal items from Dimebag as he lay dead on stage.

gojk
12-09-2004, 12:42 PM
I applaud the officer also. No matter what Dimebag did. He hadn't killed anyone. The gunman deserved to die. I am glad we didn't have to pay for his sorry @$$ in jail for 30 years before he did die.

speedfreaksguy
12-09-2004, 01:24 PM
I am a huge Pantera fan. I was listening to Pantera last night while I worked out. This is sad news. I was told the guy blamed dimebag for the break-up of Pantera. Music is very influential and can cause people to do some crazy stuff.

12-09-2004, 01:25 PM
Heres the reason. Apperantly the shooter blamed the guitarist for breaking up Pantera last year, and was a phsycotic band loving freak. One of those guys that prob. had a shrine full of pantera sh*t in his room. So he had a bunch of anger about there breakup, and took it out on who he thought was responsible.

I guess the cop came on stage and shot him a bunch of times in the face.

Pappy
12-09-2004, 01:28 PM
Originally posted by Atkins450

i highly doubt he unloaded his 870 at point blank range at his face:p

welp, another nutjob gone. it never ceases to amaze me at the morality shortage. knowing that this was not related to drugs or alcohol etc makes me feel releaved if that makes any sense

speedfreaksguy
12-09-2004, 01:28 PM
I can't wait until a video of that crazy s!#t shows up on the internet.

Dan_Guetter
12-09-2004, 02:51 PM
GOD DAMNIT:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

This really pisses me off

RIP Dimebag:(

bulkdriverlp
12-09-2004, 03:01 PM
i used to jam to pantera all the time, thats sucks "only the good die young"

r.i.p. dimebag

DEAL
12-09-2004, 03:52 PM
R.I.P :(

SRH
12-09-2004, 03:58 PM
Originally posted by Destructo

i agree.i listen to pantera some, you know how ****ed that guy would be if they put him in jail and he was known as the guy who killed dimebag...you know how many prisoners love pantera. the guy was pissed because he blamed dimebag for breaking them up so he shot him...they played cemetary gates today in memory of him ont he radio

popo
12-09-2004, 04:17 PM

Where in the hell did you get that info from. Don't be starting crap like that. It was one shot... I know..... I was there after the shooting and saw the suspect.

Please don't disgrace the officer with a bunch of crap rumors.

SRH
12-09-2004, 04:35 PM
Originally posted by popo
Where in the hell did you get that info from. Don't be starting crap like that. It was one shot... I know..... I was there after the shooting and saw the suspect.

Please don't disgrace the officer with a bunch of crap rumors.

i heard he was upset about pantera breaking up...i guess the way to get them back otgether is kill them....

what did you hear was the reason popo?

JR3
12-09-2004, 04:38 PM
R.I.P. D.B.

and popo tell the police officer thanx for doin his job and putting himself in harms way to protect innocent fans

throwinitup
12-09-2004, 04:46 PM
there is yet another casualty most news reports dont mention - darrel's brother vinnie paul abbott vinnie is an awesome drummer...and inspires my music (i am a drummer) i am still in shock about all of this, i live 2 hours away from columbus...and i might have went to that show if i wouldve known about it...crazy $hit... RIP

BTW, i found out this info through www.pantera.com

its a damn shame...

:ermm:

popo
12-09-2004, 04:48 PM
Originally posted by SRH
i heard he was upset about pantera breaking up...i guess the way to get them back otgether is kill them....

what did you hear was the reason popo?

He was mentally disturbed &r was upset over the Pantera breakup.

sly400ex
12-09-2004, 04:53 PM
Popo, tell that fellow officer that his work (and yours!) is greatly appreciated. If it wasn't for that officer, it seems like it could have been much worse!

Chanman420q
12-09-2004, 04:56 PM
This girl i work with, her babys father was good friends with this guy. About 4:30 in the morning her friend comes back to the apartment crying saying some guy was shot in ohio. At that point we didnt know if he was killed or not. I personally odnt know who he is, but my co-workers/friends did know him personally

throwinitup
12-09-2004, 05:01 PM
popo-

is it valid to say that vinnie paul was also shot and killed? if not, who is this unnamed band member who parished in this tragedy?

popo
12-09-2004, 05:29 PM
Originally posted by throwinitup
popo-

is it valid to say that vinnie paul was also shot and killed? if not, who is this unnamed band member who parished in this tragedy?

Shooting list

1.The suspect rushed the stage and shot Dimebag

2 A bouncer can up from behind the shooter and grabbed him, the shooter than shot the bouncer once in the face.

3. The event worker was shot in front of the stage as he tried to assit.

4. The suspect started to shoot in the crowd fatally wounding a patron. As he was holding another bouncer in a headlock Police make entry and the bouncer was able to break free.

5. Police shoot and kill suspect.

Two other victims where shot and listed in critical condition.

Killed

Dimebag'' Darrell Abbott, Damageplan
Fan Nathan Bray of Grove City, 23; club employee
Erin Halk, 29
Jeff Thompson, 40, whose last known address was in Texas
The gunman, Nathan Gale, 25, of Marysville

throwinitup
12-09-2004, 05:58 PM
hmmm what a damn shame...so there is no other band members wounded? i heard vinnie was shot and someone jumped ontop of him ( i assume for protection )

popo
12-09-2004, 06:08 PM
hmmm what a damn shame...so there is no other band members wounded? i heard vinnie was shot and someone jumped ontop of him ( i assume for protection )

Jeff Thompson was killed he was the band security guard that tried to assist.

http://www.ridgleametalfest.com/mayhem.jpg

knighttime
12-09-2004, 06:51 PM
i used to listen to Pantera, and still do when i hear them i guess, im pretty sure i saw them in concert opening for Queensryche years ago, and this Dimebag dude was supposedly an awesome, awesome person. I wonder who the cowardly shooter told of his intentions? Can they be brought up on any charges? These freaks need to be committed before these crimes occur.

I heard on the radio earlier this evening the lead singer was also shot to death but not publically disclosed yet because of something about how he was shot.

I applaud the police officer who ended the situation and didnt even wait for assistance. A man who risks his life to save others is someone who is to be admired and respected.

Popo, go after the killers' friends somehow if ya can.

:scary:

lol
12-09-2004, 07:14 PM
Originally posted by SixthFloorFreak

RIP

JTRtrx250r
12-09-2004, 08:09 PM
hmmm what a damn shame...so there is no other band members wounded? i heard vinnie was shot and someone jumped ontop of him ( i assume for protection ) I sure hope your wrong, Vinnie is a major influence to me also

Ita a sad day, feel horrible for the fam...all of the fams. F'n deranged freak, hope he gets bubba'd in hell:mad:

throwinitup
12-09-2004, 08:21 PM
well now who knows who the unnamed aritst is

"I heard on the radio earlier this evening the lead singer was also shot to death but not publically disclosed yet because of something about how he was shot."

this contradicts what i heard about vinnie....i hope someone will clear all this **** up and let us loyal fans know wtf is goin on...

dimebag..long live your will to ROCK and F*KIN ROLL! rip good man.

knighttime
12-09-2004, 08:37 PM
all i know is that i heard on the radio that there was another dude in the band shot and it was the lead singer, not dimebags bro.

im not claiming that to be true, its just what someone said who called in who knew all about the band

RIP dimebag

12-09-2004, 09:05 PM
im sure theres more to the story then some random black guy killing "dimebag" darrel....maybe Mr. Dimebag shorted the black guy some money on some of dat killa skrilla and got what he had coming to him, as for the other people im sorry...im sterotyping dimebag darrell because of his name, if his name doesnt have to do with the plant in a little bag then explain

popo
12-09-2004, 09:27 PM
Listen....... I was there..... Vinni was shot and is listed in critical condition along with a club employee.

AND THE SHOOTER WAS NOT BLACK FOR CHRIST SAKE.

Killed

Erin Halk, 29

The gunman, Nathan Gale, 25, of Marysville "WHITEGUY"

hondarider2006
12-09-2004, 09:54 PM
I watched the news at school this morning and saw it on there. Pretty sad. Hope the band continues to go on. Rest In Peace Darrell.

JTRtrx250r
12-09-2004, 10:00 PM
Listen....... I was there..... Vinni was shot and is listed in critical condition along with a club employee.

Killed

Erin Halk, 29

The gunman, Nathan Gale, 25, of Marysville "WHITEGUY" AND THERE WE HAVE IT!!!!!!!!

bansheeguy77
12-10-2004, 01:22 AM

Killed

Erin Halk, 29

The gunman, Nathan Gale, 25, of Marysville "WHITEGUY"

that had to be a sight to see. did you actually see the bodies or were they covered up when you got there? stupid question i know, but i believe im going to be becoming a police officer just dont have the strongest stomach for that kinda stuff. but thanks to you and the other officers who were there and assisted. good to know we have decent people in this world.
its a true shame tho that somebody would take it upon themselves to kill a man for that reason. something should be done about these nutjobs. people go out at night try to have a good time see a good band...o well there goes the good time theres retards runnin around shooting people. where will the next shooting be? ya really gotta wonder when ya can feel safe anywhere anymore

DEAL
12-10-2004, 03:53 AM
Originally posted by MixMasterMike
im sure theres more to the story then some random black guy killing "dimebag" darrel....maybe Mr. Dimebag shorted the black guy some money on some of dat killa skrilla and got what he had coming to him, as for the other people im sorry...im sterotyping dimebag darrell because of his name, if his name doesnt have to do with the plant in a little bag then explain

:rolleyes:
ignorant....

Again .. RIP Dimebag.

airheadedduner
12-10-2004, 08:35 AM
That sucks. One of my friends started playing guitar and started a band solely on the influence of Darrell Abbott.

R.I.P Dimebag

Mxjunkie
12-10-2004, 11:58 AM
there is a video allready out, its a shame, the crowd thinks its special effects at first.. :(

JTRtrx250r
12-10-2004, 01:27 PM
well I gotta say Throwinitup wasnt too far off, Pantera.com says in a few articals Vinnie was killed too, then a few say he was just shot and in critical condition:rolleyes:

popo set us straight w/ what he knew/saw

Pull thru Vinnie!!!...we need ya!!:(

schootar
12-10-2004, 01:59 PM

Yep, very ignorant...

Thanks for the info popo.

DEAL
12-10-2004, 05:48 PM
Originally posted by MixMasterMike

Oh .. by the way .. skrilla .. means money.. you know that right?

spincr4hire
12-10-2004, 09:11 PM
RIP Dimebag.

Re....Spect

12-10-2004, 09:25 PM
I heard he shot the guy a bunch of times in the head on the radio, but its probably wrong. I dont think that would disgrace the officer in any way, imm sure he was just trying to make sure the a-hole dropped before more victims did.

bulkdriverlp
12-10-2004, 10:24 PM
http://www.damageplan.net/600Img_2648.jpg

bulkdriverlp
12-10-2004, 10:27 PM
The Dimebag Darrell Memorial Fund

NationalNoise would like to send out condolences to the friends and family of Damage Plan. There has been a fund setup for the victims of this tragedy to cover bereavement and medical expenses. The Dimebag Darrell Memorial Fund will be accepting donations throught NationnalNoise until further notice. Please make checks payable to "The Dimebag Darrell Memorial Fund". Send Donations to the mail only
address: NationalNoise, 3100 Main .105, Dallas TX 75226

12/10/04

VINNIE PAUL, DAMAGEPLAN issue statements about DIMEBAG tragedy

Two days after Dimebag Darrell was shot and killed onstage, his brother and bandmate Vinnie Paul has issued a statement to the press. Like many of Dime's friends, Paul said that the guitarist will be remembered for his playing, but missed most for his giving personality.

"With all his greatness and accomplishments on the guitar, DIME will be missed more for his giving personality, charisma, caring for others, love and most of all his HEART!! Twice as big as the state of TEXAS!!!!!!!!!!!!" the statement read. "DIME gave it all everyday to each and every one of us and our lives have forever been hollowed without him...

"Thanks to all of you for reaching out to us in this time of our immeasurable loss. REST IN PEACE BROTHER DIME!!!!!!"

The surviving members of Damageplan also issued a statement revealing that their former head of security, Jeffrey "Mayhem" Thompson, was also killed in the tragedy, and that Chris Paluska, who worked with Damageplan's management and was their acting tour manager, was also shot and is in critical, but stable condition. The band's drum tech, John "Kat" Brooks, was hit with a bullet but will be released from the hospital today.

"Jeffrey 'Mayhem' Thompson was not just a true part of the Damageplan family, but part of the whole Dallas music scene," the statement said. "He was friend to all, with a great personality. He bent over backward to help us all with his trademark phrases like 'What can I do for you sir?' and 'Coming up!'"

In the statement, the band thanks Thompson for his extreme loyalty and credits him for helping save the surviving members' lives. "He stated his willingness to protect us, saying 'I'd take a bullet for ya,' and unfortunately did in defense of our lives," they said. "He truly lived and died for his friends and made the ultimate sacrifice, giving his life to save ours. For this we will never forget. You will be missed, big man."

The band's label, Atlantic Records, issued a statement as well, which reads in part, "Dimebag Darrell was an exceptional musician and an extraordinary person. Along with his brother and bandmate, Vinnie Paul, he was a member of the Elektra/Atlantic family for the past 14 years, and he will be deeply missed. The bravery displayed by Damageplan, their crew, their fans, and the local police will never be forgotten."

For much more on Dimebag Darrell's life, music and influence, tune in to a special edition of "Headbangers Ball" premiering Saturday night at 10 p.m. ET on MTV2.
Let us all share our memories of the legend Dimebag Darrell

popo
12-10-2004, 11:23 PM
I heard he shot the guy a bunch of times in the head on the radio, but its probably wrong. I dont think that would disgrace the officer in any way, imm sure he was just trying to make sure the a-hole dropped before more victims did.

You heard wrong!

It was a single shotgun blast to the head.

Fricking media and radio jerks will say anything for ratings.

I saw posts about the officer should be fired because he hollered ****** before he shot him.... Um the officer last name is Niggemeyer

JTRtrx250r
12-10-2004, 11:59 PM
You heard wrong!

It was a single shotgun blast to the head.

Fricking media and radio jerks will say anything for ratings.

I saw posts about the officer should be fired because he hollered ****** before he shot him.... Um the officer last name is Niggemeyer Dude should be promoted, in that sitch...I have to say yes, what makes it any diffrent than any other? Nothing!...in a way and alotta lives saved in another

If ya get the chance Popo...do us a favor and pat him on the back and let him know we here at EXR/ATVR think of him VERY highly!!!

Thanks man!:)

JR3
12-11-2004, 07:56 AM
another pic R.I.P. http://cdn.news.aol.com/aolnews_photos/07/00/20041209012609990002

popo
12-11-2004, 08:08 AM
Originally posted by JTRtrx250r

If ya get the chance Popo...do us a favor and pat him on the back and let him know we here at EXR/ATVR think of him VERY highly!!!

Thanks man!:)

I did , he lives down the street from me and thanks everyone for the support. Like I said no matter how much training you get.. Being involved in a shooting is not fun no matter what the occurance was. Some officers take it easier than others.

Pappy
12-11-2004, 08:11 AM
who will be sued for the feller being able to get a gun into the show? i thought it was pretty strict security..atleast around here it is

throwinitup
12-11-2004, 09:50 AM
i live 2 hours north of col. and have been to many shows, none in col. tho, and the security, for the most part, doesnt really do searches....they may pat you down, thats about it...tho i do recall at ozzfest 2001 at blossom music center they did search pretty good, using handheld metal detectors.... but the following years they didnt use them.... i think this method ought to be used at all shows, preventing freaks like mr nathan gale from creating tragedys like the one at alrossa villa....

rip dime

SixthFloorFreak
12-12-2004, 09:28 PM
seems that there's a lot of Pantera fans here, so i'm sure ya'll know of the feud between Phil and everything. i just visited the Down board and found this...thought i would share it with you guys

http://www.down-nola.com/images/darrellphilcopy.jpg
Darrell my brother. The best of the best.
-Philip H Anselmo