PDA

View Full Version : Head stay

SixthFloorFreak
12-08-2004, 07:28 PM
my bike doesn't have a head stay on it. is this a critical part or not?

BTW, the motor has a Cool Head on it, if it makes any difference

HH250R
12-09-2004, 11:02 AM
I'm pretty sure you can buy the coolhead with or without the head stay, so you prolly got the coolhead w/o the head stay. In my opinion the head stay is an important part cause its the only thing holdinbg the top of your motor. theres my 2 cents:devil:

ZRider400
12-09-2004, 12:53 PM
Originally posted by HH250R
I'm pretty sure you can buy the coolhead with or without the head stay, so you prolly got the coolhead w/o the head stay. In my opinion the head stay is an important part cause its the only thing holdinbg the top of your motor. theres my 2 cents:devil:

i agree, it also makes the motor mounted more solid.... which would take away some of the stress on the lower motor mounts which were known to crack.

wilkin250r
12-09-2004, 03:26 PM
Some people swear by the headstay mount. They break and crack bottom and front motor mounts without the headstay. Having the headstay gives strength.

However, I would imagine there is a reason that there is an option to eliminate the headstay. I have heard that it allows the motor to rev free. I'm not sure I believe it, but that's what I've heard.

Tom TRX250R
12-09-2004, 03:47 PM
You definately want to run a headstay unless you are doing strictly drag racing. It will cause too much stress on your frame and eventually cause it to crack if you are doing hard riding or MX. I used to have a Cool Head without a headstay mount and it also seemed like it wore my counterbalancer out sooner due to extra vibration. If it was me I would sell that ****er on ebay and buy one with a mount for the headstay. Just my .02. Tom

ESR350r
12-09-2004, 05:28 PM
I have heard both ways. I do not currently have mine on. I ran a GNCC race and a harescramble with out it. I also used to have a Cool Head with out a head stay and never had any problems. With the 4 mounts that you have they hold the motor pretty steady. like others on the post have said it all depends on how you ride. If it is MX i would put it on there, but riding where you are not bouncing around the whole time you should be ok.

SixthFloorFreak
12-09-2004, 07:07 PM
my Cool Head has the mount on it, so i guess i need to be finding one for it

didn't Laeger make a head stay? any idea where i could find one?

beerock
12-09-2004, 07:11 PM
run the head stay, the only bikes that dont need them are the frames that are built and dont use them. like the roll lobo, i don thtink they use a head stay? im nto sure though, but USE IT!