PDA

View Full Version : 400ex and alignment

sleepin400
12-08-2004, 07:02 PM
Should I just measure the distance between the front point and rear point of the rim to check alignment. I think mine is off.

It seems to pull kinda funny on the street, expecially when I do a wheelie and come down.

I figure also I'd be loosing alittle acceleration from it as well.

thanks

400exrider707
12-08-2004, 07:13 PM
ok this is how your supposed to do it:
You need a buddy to do this right, since the upper control arms, lower control arms, and steering tie rod are all different lengths, this must be done as close to ride height as possible. First make sure you check the tire pressure in all four tires and also that the quad is on flat, level ground. Make sure nothing is bent broken or loose. To set camber use a carpenters sqaure against the tire. Measure the distance between the top of the square and the top of the tire. It should be between .2 and .8 inches. In order to adjust this, just adjust the upper control arm ball joint. With that set you can check your toe. Using a straight edge at the front center of the wheel, measuer the distance between the front wheels. Remember doing this at ride height makes it more accurate. Now measuer the distance at the back of the tire, 180 degrees from your last measurement. In most cases the tires should be toed-in 1/8inch. To adjust this hold the bars and have your buddy (or vice versa) adjust the tie rod. Also rolling the quad back and forth will relax the force against the tires. Double check that all jam nuts are tight and your ready to roll. You can play around with these adjustments to adapt to a bunch of different conditions.

JOEX
12-08-2004, 11:06 PM
Toe-in is the only adjustment that can be made on a stock 400ex front end.

If the bars aren't perfectly straight when dropping down from a wheelie the quad will pull to one side. Quad tires and a solid axle asphalt don't handle well on asphalt roads.

I have heard of the same type of tire needing different air pressure on one side to have equal traction. Something to do with inconsistacies in the manufacturing.

400exrider707
12-09-2004, 09:33 AM
Yeah I know, but a lot of people on here have aftermarket a-arms, so I was just doing it for everyone in general....