PDA

View Full Version : Seat Cover How-To

Pappy
12-08-2004, 05:49 PM
We all at one time or another will need to replace a stock seat cover or make the switch to an aftermarket unit.

If you are concerned you can't do this yourself then maybe consider taking it to a local upholstry shop and have it done for you. I called 3 in my area and all stated a charge of less then $25. While that may seem expensive, some of the seat covers on the market approach $100+ so it maybe an option if your not mechanically inclined.

You will need at the least a small to medium flat blade screw driver, a small set of pliers and a staple gun with either 1/4 inch or 3/8 staples. I use 1/4 so I can avoid punching a staple clean through the seat pan!

Start by removing your seat and inspect it. Look at where the factory cover is and where the staples are located and also thier spacing to give you an idea of how yours should look when your finished.

Pappy
12-08-2004, 05:53 PM
After you have convinced yourself you can tackle this, start removing the seat cover by getting a few of the staples loose and either ripping the old cover off like a kid at christmas, or you can take your time and remove every staple. If the seat cover being removed has life left maybe take your time, I usually just take the old one off with care.

Once the cover is removed, take the pliers and get any loose staples out of the pan. One of these can puncture your hand or rip your brand new cover.

Now is the time to inspect the seat foam also. If its damp or wet consider letting it dry for a day or so. Trapping moisture under the new cover will invite rot.

Pappy
12-08-2004, 05:55 PM
A nice clean work area is a must, I prefer the floor.

Lay out the new cover and check its fitment. You should know right away if there may be problems with it.

Pappy
12-08-2004, 05:56 PM
I usually start at the back of the seat, center the cover and attach it with 1 staple. I then work slowly making sure the back is straight and I am not causing wrinkles.

Pappy
12-08-2004, 05:59 PM
Once you have the back secured, move slowly up each side checking often for wrinkles or bulges in the cover. Simply wrapping the cover over the side, and pulling the cover tight works, just take your time and add 1 to 3 staples in a row then re check.

Pappy
12-08-2004, 06:01 PM
After 1/3 of the way up the seat has been inspected and stapled, I usually start rolling the cover forward and pushing it off to the sides. All I am trying to do is keep wrinkles out and slowly stretch the cover evenly over the foam and pan.

Pappy
12-08-2004, 06:03 PM
As i staple, I gently use the staple gun to stretch the cover ever so much to get it taught. Remember, you can remove a staple or two if you get something wrong!

Pappy
12-08-2004, 06:05 PM
When finished your seat should be wrinkle free. Some covers, like this Quadtech, have a bit more cushion in the cover and are almost bound to have very slight imperfections. Ive had 2 done by real upholstry shops that were as good as what I do so I save the $25:p

I hope this will help someone who may have never seen a seat cover installed.

450 Racer R
12-08-2004, 09:31 PM
cool. It's not as involved as I thought

400exrider707
12-08-2004, 10:40 PM
I find it easier to staple the very front first, then the very back then stretch the crap out of it. On mine (klotz seat cover) I left the stock one on underneath and it fit perfect. Also you will need a really powerful stapler, I remember the first one I tried on my banshee, I tried with a regular power stapler and it didn't do shiz. I finally bought the kind you plug in and it did the trick.

Shawn H
12-08-2004, 10:44 PM
And the best place to buy that seat cover is????:D

I need me one of those looks perfect:cool:

400exrider707
12-08-2004, 10:59 PM
that quad tech cover is pretty sweet lookin......

Pappy
12-09-2004, 06:23 AM
Originally posted by 400exrider707
I find it easier to staple the very front first, then the very back then stretch the crap out of it.

it really depends on the cover. some covers need to match the graphics so the alignment on the front of the seat is more critical. others are designed with logo's and graphics on the rear so alignment in that area dictates starting from the rear.

if you want to do the best job, search out a real upholstry stapler.

Shawn H
12-09-2004, 08:00 AM
Originally posted by snowgasm
And the best place to buy that seat cover is????:D

I need me one of those looks perfect:cool:

Ill try again:D

Hello,
Where did you get the cover from who? lol

Pappy
12-09-2004, 08:22 AM
I'm sorry I didnt catch that was directed at me:p

That cover was sent to me by C & D Racing

Shawn H
12-09-2004, 08:28 AM
Thanks Brotha:devil:

Mxracer53
12-10-2004, 05:28 PM
on my 300 i put my new fx seat cover over my old one gives a little more cushioun;)

Pappy
12-10-2004, 08:04 PM
Originally posted by Mxracer53
on my 300 i put my new fx seat cover over my old one gives a little more cushioun;)

it also hold more moisture. if you ride in water and mud it will become slippery between the 2 covers. i always remove the old cover for a professional fit.

JDiablo
12-10-2004, 08:12 PM
Originally posted by Pappy
it really depends on the cover. some covers need to match the graphics so the alignment on the front of the seat is more critical. others are designed with logo's and graphics on the rear so alignment in that area dictates starting from the rear.

if you want to do the best job, search out a real upholstry stapler.

holy chit wat a pain in the *** my seat cover is,im bringing it to a upholestry shop,it is one of them custom carbon fiber ones,man that thing is tight,and sucha lousy fit,grr:o ill let the people work on it instead of my moronic self:devil:

wolf91
12-11-2004, 10:17 AM
Verde makes the best custom seat covers, and they have a huge color and design selection.

redrunner
12-11-2004, 06:35 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v295/RazorSU/modZseat.jpg

I had mine done at a shop, the Factory FX have a thick side and was nearly impossible to strech over and make it wrinkle free.

440exnacsracer
12-12-2004, 09:01 PM
it also hold more moisture. if you ride in water and mud it will become slippery between the 2 covers. i always remove the old cover for a professional fit.

yep i realized both of those negatives when it was too late lol. also, not to detract business from C&D, but a guy from atvaddiction.com has some real nice seat covers in custom styles, colors, etc. and i only paid $40 for mine, though it isnt as trick as the quadtech pappy has

theTman
12-13-2004, 03:27 PM
i tried this technique....and i still got wrinkles:grr:

Pappy
12-13-2004, 03:40 PM
Originally posted by theTman
i tried this technique....and i still got wrinkles:grr:

its not a technique, its how ya do it:p you didnt take your time or pay attention to the wrinkles ...and now you need a wrinklostomy:eek:

JDiablo
12-13-2004, 03:42 PM
pappy i tired for 2 hrs straight and only got half way and i gotta bring it to a upholestry shop,and that word is almost as bad as triggerometry:devil:

theTman
12-13-2004, 03:45 PM
its not a technique, its how ya do it:p you didnt take your time or pay attention to the wrinkles ...and now you need a wrinklostomy:eek:

i worked on that sona***** for 3 hours!!!!! i pulled the sides down and smoothed it out...but the wrinkles wouldnt leave

Pappy
12-13-2004, 03:48 PM
as someone posted earlier...if you have a seat cover that has those thick vynil sides they are a MOFO to do with out wrinkles.

what kind of covers do you have? cuz i know i aint that good:p although i have done that type with no wrinkles:scary:

theTman
12-13-2004, 03:58 PM
i have the CEET flame gripper....has some vynil on the sides...so thats prob. why it was hard

popo
12-16-2004, 11:45 AM
So far the best seat covers I've found are.

http://graphicmx.com/seat.shtml

300exOH
12-16-2004, 11:58 AM
Just a suggestion but you may want to try heating the seat cover with a hair dryer or heat gun(low heat) before installing. It should make them much easier to stretch.

redrunner
12-16-2004, 12:29 PM
Originally posted by 300exOH
Just a suggestion but you may want to try heating the seat cover with a hair dryer or heat gun(low heat) before installing. It should make them much easier to stretch.

That's what the guy said at the upholstery shop said. Him and 2 other guys heating and stretching, he even said it was a ******!

hessianmx111
12-27-2004, 08:43 AM
What I did and it worked very well for me was, First hook the front of the seatcover on the front of the seat stretch it good throw 3-5 staples on it then stretch the back straight back while heating with blow dryer fold it under the back of the seat while its stretched nice and tight staple it with like 4 staples, then go to the middle and heat up pretty good with hairdryer on each side then stretch tightly on one side and staple with like 4 staples then do the same for the other side, then i went to the top again and started stapling while pulling the cover tight all the way down the side till i had one side done and did the same for the other side. This seemed to work good for me.

Traxxrida12
01-03-2005, 07:16 PM
i followed the directions and it worked thanks;)

i got a new ceet flame seat cover and in my opinion it looks good

400EXtremeguy
01-09-2005, 01:14 AM
Very nicely done!! I have done a couple covers recently and that is exactly how I did mine...from rear to front.
It helps to have an extra set of hands and take your time to do it right! :D

mountaineer
02-02-2005, 06:43 PM
It was tough to do mine too. It took me about three hours and lots of frustration. I have the quad tech seat cover and it is sweet. I bought mine from www.atvgalaxy.com for $99.95+ shipping