PDA

View Full Version : Finally stood my quad up doing a wheelie, lol

Destructo
12-08-2004, 05:48 PM
I played around in the front yard some tonight doing wheelies, started off on my knees and the foot in the grab bar, so standing it up wasn't too scary, then I did it sitting down and realized it wasn't so bad, except when my dad sees the big gouges of grass torn up from the grab bar :D

And I also managed to break my tool tube off, apparently when I stood it up once I was partially on a little hill and it hit the dirt and broke if off on one end :rolleyes:

LazeR
12-08-2004, 05:51 PM
I remember when i was scared to stand it up, then you do it once and it cures your fear... I never tried to do a wheelie with my foot in the grab bar or anything until i could ride them sitting down! I had my dad hold my front end up on the balance point and i learned where it was, and then i could kind of wheelie but was scared to fall back, until i did it the first time!

it does leave some nice gauges in the lawn!

Destructo
12-08-2004, 05:55 PM
Yeah, I actually did it a couple times, not scared anymore, I actually kept holding until it stopped moving and just flipped the kill switch lol. I imagine I killed a little grass with the gasoline also :rolleyes:

EPDP99
12-08-2004, 05:59 PM
haha, just hit the rear brake pedal and itll fall right back on it wheels, while still moving of course. also get a six pack rack if you dont race and it acts as a wheelie bar and wont tip over backwards anymore and will always wall forward. wheelies to me are easier standing up than when sitting down. if you go long distances make sure tire pressure is the same otherwise youll always head to one direction.

Destructo
12-08-2004, 06:02 PM
yeah, I got my left with some plugs in it and they leak, so I couldn't go too far before I was headed for a tree lol. Was always going to the left, I think I might just pickup some new Klaws.

YFZ450Ridr
12-08-2004, 06:06 PM
i was riding my friends 450r one time and i had a good wheelie goin in 2nd standin up and it hit the grab bar and i fell off from a bump and it kept goin on the grab bar! it was cool lookin but i was scared for the 450 cuz it wasnt mine. luckily it was an open field and it came back down un harmed. i do it on my 250 all the time.

LazeR
12-08-2004, 06:33 PM
I never have a problem with mine falling back, even on a slightly uphill condition, the grab bar seems to do its job pretty good. Does the 6 pack rack make it so it won't stand up at all ?

YFZ450Ridr
12-08-2004, 06:35 PM
Originally posted by LazeR
I never have a problem with mine falling back, even on a slightly uphill condition, the grab bar seems to do its job pretty good. Does the 6 pack rack make it so it won't stand up at all ?

my dads got a rack the same size as the six pack rack, itll stand up and balance on the rack on an uphill. but on flat ground it jsut scrapes.

LazeR
12-08-2004, 06:36 PM
I don't think i'd care for that.... i like it so that it will go way back ;) easier to scare ppl on the back that way lol

bulkdriverlp
12-08-2004, 06:58 PM
why dont you just use the back brake either way you do it, hit the back brake when you feel it goin to 12:00, dont know why people put foot in grab bar, you have no controll when it goes back.

LazeR
12-08-2004, 07:00 PM
Originally posted by bulkdriverlp
why dont you just use the back brake either way you do it, hit the back brake when you feel it goin to 12:00, dont know why people put foot in grab bar, you have no controll when it goes back.

Left foot inthe grab bar ;) you can still use the brake! I rather sit down and do a wheelie though

LsMxRaCeR
12-08-2004, 08:11 PM
my dad was riding a wheelie on my 450 and sit it on the grab bar and bent it so now it sticks up looking funny :p

YFZ450Ridr
12-08-2004, 08:14 PM
Originally posted by LsMxRaCeR
my dad was riding a wheelie on my 450 and sit it on the grab bar and bent it so now it sticks up looking funny :p

mine does that too now because i was doin a wheelie and hit a big ***** rock and almost flipped and my 250 slammed on the grab bar and flips way up and i broke my tail light too:blah:

Narly R
12-08-2004, 08:20 PM
2nd gear, pull clutch in, pin throttle, let clutch out.

;) :eek:

chucked
12-08-2004, 08:21 PM
Originally posted by Narly R
2nd gear, pull clutch in, pin throttle, let clutch out.

;) :eek:

thats cheating, One of the first time I did it I wrecked and I thought I broke my ***!

400exrules
12-08-2004, 08:58 PM
Originally posted by chucked
thats cheating, One of the first time I did it I wrecked and I thought I broke my ***!

LMFAO!

Destructo
12-08-2004, 09:10 PM
if you hit the throttle wide open in first gear on asphalt it will flip if you just keep it pinned hehe.

I'm been doing all my wheelies in 1st gear, so that when I get good at those the rest are easy to do. Its fun, but boy does my fuel mileage go down! :p

chucked
12-08-2004, 09:12 PM
Originally posted by Destructo
if you hit the throttle wide open in first gear on asphalt it will flip if you just keep it pinned hehe.

I'm been doing all my wheelies in 1st gear, so that when I get good at those the rest are easy to do. Its fun, but boy does my fuel mileage go down! :p

I never put it in first to wheelie because 90% of the time when I shift I hit neutral.

LazeR
12-08-2004, 10:24 PM
Originally posted by chucked
I never put it in first to wheelie because 90% of the time when I shift I hit neutral.

Pull harder, you cant go up 2 gears :p

400exrider707
12-08-2004, 10:36 PM
Riding wheelies with your foot in the grab bar is the lamest thing! It looks way better to be sitting down. The best way is to put it right over a couple of times on purpose so you get used to it and are not scared anymore, then you'll be riding wheelies like nothing. Me and my buddies can ride wheelies threw all of the gears on our quads. Starting in first then just keep going. By the way one of the worst crashes I seen my buddy do was doing a wheelie! Third gear haulin ***....the grab bar caught! took out a hunk of sod like 10 ft long. the pipe hit, then it hit again! The ground was kind of unlevel so the quad started turning and then when the grab bar hit a third time she started cartwheelin!!! Wasn't pretty. His z-400 catwheeled about 2 1/2 times landing upside down. Only got a bent tie-rod and bent steering stem, messed up one grip and he was pretty sore for a couple of days!

Destructo
12-08-2004, 10:48 PM
mine has been flipped before, I think my stem is slightly bent and its got new bars and the controls are scratched on top. Doesn't surprise me though.

I hit neutral from 1-2 sometimes, usually when i'm running hard and it revs way on up there lol.

LazeR
12-08-2004, 10:55 PM
Originally posted by Destructo
mine has been flipped before, I think my stem is slightly bent and its got new bars and the controls are scratched on top. Doesn't surprise me though.

I hit neutral from 1-2 sometimes, usually when i'm running hard and it revs way on up there lol.

when i first got my quad, i would hit neutral a lot! I don't hit it near as much now, maybe once every ride. Sometimes i don't hit it at all. When im shifting on a wheelie i have never hit nuetral.

400exrider707
12-08-2004, 11:08 PM
Yeah if you get the quad a little farther up, you wont have to be on the gas so hard, therefore making shifts easier, you should just be able to crawl along in the same gear if you'd like to also. I rode my buddies 300ex one time down the road, and he was on our other buddies z-400. it was pretty funny he was riding a wheelie, and I still couldn't get the 300 to keep up with him! I got the 300 up to fifth tapped out, and he was pulling away from me in a wheelie, some pretty funny stuff

400exrider707
12-08-2004, 11:09 PM
oh and my buddies z-400 stem isn't slightly bent, its definitely tweaked pretty good!

LazeR
12-08-2004, 11:22 PM
Originally posted by 400exrider707
Yeah if you get the quad a little farther up, you wont have to be on the gas so hard, therefore making shifts easier, you should just be able to crawl along in the same gear if you'd like to also. I rode my buddies 300ex one time down the road, and he was on our other buddies z-400. it was pretty funny he was riding a wheelie, and I still couldn't get the 300 to keep up with him! I got the 300 up to fifth tapped out, and he was pulling away from me in a wheelie, some pretty funny stuff

when i shift i bring it so its not quite on the balance point, pull in the clutch and totally let off the throttle and then shift and let out the clutch and get back on the throttle. Bringing it right before the balance point makes it so when i pull in my clutch it puts it on the balance point

honda_runner
12-09-2004, 07:26 AM
Yep LazeR knows what hes talking about, i could be to 3rd gear, while starting in first. Balance point is the key.

chucked
12-09-2004, 02:48 PM
Originally posted by LazeR
Pull harder, you cant go up 2 gears :p

i dont feel like it, it looks cooler puttin it up on 2nd anyway.

Destructo
12-09-2004, 03:09 PM
i'v been riding for probably about 8 years now, and I have always been a good rider, the clutch, throttle and shifting are a peice of cake on anything I drive/ride. My XR200R has the same shift pattern. But our 99 300 Fourtrax has one of those auto clutches and goes N-1-2-3-4-5 so its kinda hard to hit neutral on accident hehe.

400exstud
12-09-2004, 05:28 PM
On the first day that I got my 400 (I was barely 14) my dad thought it would be cool to show off (he doesn't think so any more) because I came back to let him have a go at it. Well I told him that it was really fast (the only other sport he had driven was a blaster (((MY FRIENDS NOT MINE))). Well he reved it up relly high and poped the clutch. He also happend to be sitting pretty far back.

I don't think I've ever seen the front end ever go up that fast. Luckily, he got right off the gas and never even touched the grap bar.

He doesn't think that he is so cool now:devil:

12-09-2004, 09:09 PM
i remember thinking my 400ex was hard to wheelie when I first got it & the only way I could wheelie it was to hold the clutch in & rev it out & let the clutch out real fast...i stopped doing that quick

wheeltrax
12-09-2004, 09:17 PM
my friend used to do this all the time on his quad, till going back and hitting the grab bar finally cracked his frame in 2 spots.

Destructo
12-09-2004, 10:11 PM
Originally posted by MixMasterMike
i remember thinking my 400ex was hard to wheelie when I first got it & the only way I could wheelie it was to hold the clutch in & rev it out & let the clutch out real fast...i stopped doing that quick

That'll tear up some stuff, i'v never done a wheelie doing that except for when racing somebody from a stop.