PDA

View Full Version : 300ex head

redrider9045
12-08-2004, 05:05 PM
hey i heard ypu can cut some off of a 300ex head to get more compression if anyone has done that to a 300ex how much do you cut off also who can i send it to i dont want to cut it off so i have to go with a higher octane gas

Aceman
12-08-2004, 05:18 PM
Yes, if you shave the head it will increase compression. Enough to make a difference I can't say. Some other options, might be to run no base gasket(use sealant instead) or only 1-2 layers of a 3 layer steel gasket or do both. Something other things to think about though your piston/valve clearance and also how this will affect your timing by putting more slack in your chain. I believe you can also deck the cylinder if you don't want to shave the head.

redrider9045
12-08-2004, 05:29 PM
wat do u mean by decking the cylinder out

Aceman
12-08-2004, 05:35 PM
Shave some material off the end of the cylinder, just like you would do to the head. There is an article in the FAQ forum called "Haved you decked the cylinder" that would help explain it better.

Destructo
12-08-2004, 05:41 PM
decking or shaving the head don't seem like a good idea to me on something with overhead cams unless its absolutley necessary, its going to move the valves closer to the pistons (not a huge deal unless its too much) and put slack in the chain which is a bad thing.

I would just put a new piston in before I did that. The only reason I would have that done is if the surfaces are warped.