PDA

View Full Version : 42 Pilot jet

boystoys
12-08-2004, 03:17 PM
i have read post after post about guys changing their pilot jet to a 42 and saying that the 400 will start easier and i kind of just blew it off....

well i was tired of letting it crank and crank and crank.....and crank... so i fugured i would give it a shot...

HOLY CRAP what a differance... if i would have known this ALONG time ago this would have been my FIRST MOD....

i love it now.....

the only thing left to do is ajust my needle clip... but i have to find someone selling a stock carb... i stripped the poo out of one of the screws holding the needle to the slide..... (hint hint...still looking for one too)

EPDP99
12-08-2004, 04:16 PM
why dont you just go to the dealer or local hardware shop to get the screws. rather than buy a carb. or is it so stuck in there you cant?? I might have one soon since my 41mmfcr is on the way.

boystoys
12-08-2004, 04:21 PM
its pretty stripped... i saw a thing at sears hardware store that made just for removing scews with stripped heads... they llok like bacwards drill bits... i guess the idea being that the cut into the screw head and "bite" in to it to remove it... i was going to try that first but for a set of 3 its like $20 + tax and i figured i could get a whole stock carb for close to that and have extra parts or a extra carb to experiment with...

EPDP99
12-08-2004, 04:44 PM
ahhhhh, just get a #1 screwdriver and put most of the force down then turn it.

LazeR
12-08-2004, 06:44 PM
Originally posted by boystoys
its pretty stripped... i saw a thing at sears hardware store that made just for removing scews with stripped heads... they llok like bacwards drill bits... i guess the idea being that the cut into the screw head and "bite" in to it to remove it... i was going to try that first but for a set of 3 its like $20 + tax and i figured i could get a whole stock carb for close to that and have extra parts or a extra carb to experiment with...

Just FYI, my dad has those drill bits to remove bolts with stripped heads, and they work awesome!

sleepin400
12-08-2004, 06:55 PM
I work at sears, Customers tell me those drill bits really do work well.

They're on sale right now, and find a Coupon, saturday should have 10% off everything in the store too :D

buster369
12-08-2004, 07:11 PM
i did the same thing with the screws cause they are brass and got them out with needle nose vice grips and then replaced them with alimunim screws

boystoys
12-09-2004, 04:11 AM
Originally posted by sleepin400
I work at sears, Customers tell me those drill bits really do work well.

They're on sale right now, and find a Coupon, saturday should have 10% off everything in the store too :D

where would i find a coupon?

sleepin400
12-09-2004, 09:38 AM
ehh, just look in the paper, the best is if your a Craftsman club member, they send you coupons in the mail and you get around 10% at certain times which is right now. Tell them you want to be a club member, its not a credit card just a membership(free). they should show you the number to call and ask them if there's a way to use it today. If there nice they can hook you up. Look for a cool younger guy who knows what he's doing.

good luck

cals400ex
12-09-2004, 12:08 PM
the club members get 10% off on any craftsman item that i have ever bought. this included tools, tool chest, etc.

platinum350
12-09-2004, 06:29 PM
boystoys or who else knows, I am modding my 400ex w/ a hmf slip on and rejetting it. I see you mentioned to go w/ the 42 pilot, I wouldn't have to remove my choke or would I? Also, whats the deal w/ the posistion of the needle clip?
thanks!!

sleepin400
12-09-2004, 06:41 PM
just about everything, but the catch is its only at certain times of the month. which is now, has been for 10 days or so ends the 11th of dec.

To join, stop by your nearby Sears, Sears Hardware, or Sears Hometown Dealer Store and ask for an application, or call 1-800-682-8691. You can also call this

just call and you'll get one in the mail.

the nice thing is you can use it with other coupons and most sale stuff.

I feel like a sales man...oh wait I am...but no commission here :)

boystoys
12-09-2004, 07:44 PM
well i am not sure why you move the needle clip but i am guessing that it "meters" from closed throttle to half or little less, then your main jet takes over... but HMF resomends to move the needle clip 1 notch and they are located in Cleveland Ohio and i am in Columbus which is about 150 miles maybe away... bout' a 2 hour drive... so i igure what worked for them will more than likely work well for me too so i am just doing what they recomend.....

EPDP99
12-09-2004, 09:33 PM
needle position is from 1/4 to 3/4 throttle which has to also be monitored closely because thats where most people ride in. Main takes over at 3/4 to full.

400exrider707
12-09-2004, 10:19 PM
He didn't specify either! You must move the clip DOWN one position.

cals400ex
12-10-2004, 11:28 AM
yes, i would go smaller on the mainjet than they say. the 4th needle clip position is fine in colder months. once you mod the motor more, the 4th position is fine in summer too. a 42 pilot jet will work year-round and you can leave the choke in.

04EXdude
12-10-2004, 05:17 PM
As for removing the two little brass screws for the needle holder, I always had good luck by spraying WD-40 down in there and it helps alot. I almost stripped mine out as well but now I do like this and have no problem.