PDA

View Full Version : Stock front tire size??

rhandw69
12-07-2004, 10:18 PM
Ok,
So on most of the new high performance quads that are new on the market, the stock front tire set up is with 21 x 7 x 10 front tire size. So my question is why not on the 400EX? Im thinking about putting the 21" on the front of mine, to go with the 20" I have on the rear. Would there be any sort of advantage or dissadvantage by doing this?
Thank

BlueRider
12-08-2004, 11:29 PM
I put that size Bandits on and I noticed the ride to be rougher on trails etc because of the smaller tire diameter. The smaller the diameter the more you feel the holes and roots etc. I think they use 21*7*10 for moto tracks more. If you ride groommed tracks it probably won't matter but if you ride woods I'd stick with stock size you also lose clearance a bit with smaller tires.

mojoe2878
12-09-2004, 07:43 PM
you would be wasting your money, unless you just need new front tires.
going down from the 22 to a 21 on the front will not give you any advantage what so ever.

Toadz400
12-09-2004, 09:24 PM
There is a difference in handling when switching tire sizes, but if you ride trails or anything like that I'd stick with 22's.

If you race MX then you'd want to go with 20" fronts and 18" rears.

400exrider707
12-09-2004, 10:21 PM
Blue rider your ride might have become rougher jsut because bandits are a stiff tire also. going down one inch in the front wont make that much of a difference but the idea is going smaller makes more precise turning, same idea with imports when they run a big rim and low pro tire.

TC426EX
12-10-2004, 08:27 AM
I run 2 different tire setups for different riding. One is a set of Razr 2's for trails. I have 20" rears and 21" fronts and I have to disagree with most people on this post... I actually traded my barely used 22" fronts I originally bought for a set of 21" fronts that were only used on the HMF Z400 (with thte captain america graphics) for the 12 hours race a couple years ago. What I noticed was a big improvement. The 21" tires handle much better in my opinion, and turn better as well. I just find that especially with aftermarket tires, even though they are "22" inch tires they are actually a bit taller than that. I just didnt like all the sidewall exposure on the 22's and was willing to compromise a TINY bit of ground clearance in ruts, roots, etc, on the trails. I definitely reccomend the 21" front tires if you need to replace the ones have now...