PDA

View Full Version : Cross Country tips and tricks

balls2da-wall
12-07-2004, 09:01 PM
I was just wondering if you guys have some trick you use on the XC tracks...such as switching tires for track conditions, sprockets, what to do in mud, quad set-up...stuff along those lines.

UbeenSmoked
12-08-2004, 10:20 AM
well i usally gear my fourhwheeler down for Xc, for mud i use h-d tires and have big msr hand gaurds, and tape up my bumper and put grease in all my wires so they dont get water in them

Matt

balls2da-wall
12-08-2004, 12:13 PM
see that your from Iowa I assume you race in the series so do you gear up for waukon since its so open??? Just wondering because my 400ex is geared on tooth lower in the front and at Waukon I noticed that I was hitting 5th with ease in the open spots.

komatsu kid
12-08-2004, 01:16 PM
for wakon i left the stock gearing

markk
12-08-2004, 01:56 PM
I run a very thick/flexible/durable foam around my airbox, Go threw and grease all my electrical connections. I pretty well always run 22's and 23's Do a little bit of taping on my front bumper to keep some of the mud from caking up on everything!

The biggest thing u can do, is smear somthing super oily all over everything! I have been using baby oil, or wd-40. (NOT brake fluid) And i make sure that u have an extra pair of gloves and googles, But I usally never stop and pit! Try running a higher gear in the woods, and use a little more clutch action, and keep your rear end back to keep traction!

thats about all i really do, OH yeah always look WAY ahead of u for ppl stoped in the trail, and if u go threw a bad spot one lap, look for another line the next time threw!

cdalejef
12-08-2004, 04:19 PM
I run 22's in the mud but I don't bother with changing the gears, I can't even tell a power difference with the ATK. I run big handguards like MSR's or snowmobile hand mits.

UbeenSmoked
12-08-2004, 04:47 PM
Originally posted by balls2da-wall
see that your from Iowa I assume you race in the series so do you gear up for waukon since its so open??? Just wondering because my 400ex is geared on tooth lower in the front and at Waukon I noticed that I was hitting 5th with ease in the open spots.

actually i ran a tooth lower in the front for that race, which was fine but i should have put it back to stock gearing but it was fine for me i rather run lower gearing, to me it helps be i notice a big difference when i jumped my gearing down, so wut ever fills best for u

Matt

Lil - Braff
12-08-2004, 06:11 PM
Originally posted by Jeff@QuadShop
I run 22's in the mud but I don't bother with changing the gears, I can't even tell a power difference with the ATK. I run big handguards like MSR's or snowmobile hand mits.

Come on Mr. Mud man! We know you got more tips/tricks than that! :blah: lol.