PDA

View Full Version : Jet needle settings

bxroads
12-07-2004, 08:46 PM
Hello guys. My first post and I'm new to the sport ATV scene. I'm 31, always had a utility quad, and grew up on dirt bikes so I've ridden all my life but know little in regards to aftermarket mods. I scored a used, but in excellent shape, Raptor that has the GYT pipe and K&N filter kit. It was also re-jetted by the original owner, but its not to my liking.

The problem is most likely in the jet needle because my sputtering occurs at a little past mid throttle. Low and full throttle seem fine. On the needle jet, I have moved the clip to the top notch, hence the most lean setting. It runs the best at this lean setting. Most of the sputtering has been eliminated.

My concern, however, is that I may overheat with this lean setting. And being inexperienced, I don't know how normal it is for the clip to be adjusted to the most lean setting.

Thoughts.....

bxroads
12-07-2004, 08:55 PM
Let me add that I know this is an EX forum and I'm asking about a Raptor's carb, but there is a lot of knowledge here and I'm just asking about needle jet settings in general, not necessarily Raptor specific

Thanks

nosliw
12-07-2004, 10:37 PM
meh, it's "atvriders.com" now instead of the old exriders... so your welcome i guess ;) :D

sounds like you need a plug chop-

get a new spark plug
put it in
start quad
take it out, keeping it at half throttle
pull it clutch while your moving
hit kill switch
coast to stop
take plug out (you can let it cool off)
should be tan

if it's too white, or has small metal flakes on it, too lean

if it's wet or too dark brown looking, too rich

edit-

if it's running fine and not seeming to run a lot hotter than before, i wouldn't screw with it personally. as long as your headers aren't red and it's running within a normal temp you're good to go

chad502ex
12-08-2004, 06:38 AM
bxroads,

to assist in your dialing in efforts, I have a tech article on my website that might provide additional insight for you

under "Tech Talk" section, it's the link "carb chart"

hope this helps.
chad502ex.com

bxroads
12-08-2004, 07:45 AM
Chad,

Based on your charts and the fact that I'm not hitting 100% in the 1/2 to 2/3 throttle range, the problem is the needle taper. Is this what you would suggest. Where can I get different tapered needles and would I need more or less taper. Help, I'm treading on unchartered waters.....

Roads

GA400ex
12-08-2004, 09:48 AM
You can get a Jet kit that has a different taper. Call our site sponser at 308-696-7805 to see if they can hook you up

chad502ex
12-08-2004, 10:41 AM
yes try to call GA400EX resource or call Sudco tech support @ (323)728-5407. Sudco will be able to compare needle taper and provide an alternative.

good luck

chad502ex.com