PDA

View Full Version : How to Shift??

04-21-2002, 11:38 AM
I've been renting semi auto quads for a while. I have decided to now buy a Honda 400ex because they are hands down wonderful. Ive never shifted a clutch bike before or even a stick shift car. Is it hard to learn and an i getting myself into something that i might never get used to?

Thanks
erik

VegasEx'r
04-21-2002, 11:45 AM
It'll take a little practice, but you'll get the hang of it. Pull the clutch in, shift down into first (the shift pattern for the 400 is 1-N-2-3-4-5). Let the clutch out slowly. When you hear the RPM's start to drop off, give the throttle a little gas (not too much or you'll be doing a whellie that you hadn't planned on). As you start to move forward, begin to give it a little more gas & let the clutch out smoothly. It'll take some practice, and you'll undoubtedly stall several times, but after a while, it'll become second nature.

Honda250XRacer
04-21-2002, 11:45 AM
I think you will be able to learn very easily and you should be able get used to it....it's not like it's impossible to shift a manual clutch .....so good luck and....you will learn:D :cool:

MadcapEX
04-21-2002, 04:32 PM
I learned when I was 8, my 11 year old girl just learned.

R-Crazy
04-21-2002, 04:38 PM
i learned when i was 13 (1 year ago) but have been into cars my whole life and new what to do, just never did it. You'll get it. Good luck!

dave

04-21-2002, 04:48 PM
Hey vegasex'r

how can the shift patern be 1-N-2-3-4-5

wouldn't it be N-1-2-3-4-5

ATV_MAN
04-21-2002, 04:51 PM
No its 1-N-2-3-4-5. For most semi quads that is the shift pattern but most sport quads it is that.

GrounD PoundeR
04-21-2002, 05:47 PM
I've been told by friend to just power shift. I have no problem doing it but was wondering if this will have any ill effects to the clutch? Its one less thing I need to worry about not using the clutch lever.

VegasEx'r
04-21-2002, 06:38 PM
Originally posted by GrounD PoundeR
I've been told by friend to just power shift. I have no problem doing it but was wondering if this will have any ill effects to the clutch? Its one less thing I need to worry about not using the clutch lever.

About a month ago there was a thread about this. If you don't use your clutch, over time you'll bend the shift forks. What I do is keep the throttle pegged & shift really fast using the clutch. The RPM's will kick up a little, and that will help you get a bit of a "jump" when you get into the next gear.

brink400
04-21-2002, 06:41 PM
It took me about a day to get accustomed to the manual clutch. Now I find myself trying to pull the the break lever when i shift auto clutch quads. Its like an instinct now...

Live2Ride300
04-21-2002, 07:20 PM
I learned when I was 11 or 12. My Dad taught me, he would make me go down the driveway really slow, just telling me to let the clutch out and go, then pull it in and do it again, until I got it down pat, now its second nature and i dont know what i would do without a manual transmission. You'll get it , it just takes a little practice. Good luck man

Charlie

Honda250XRacer
04-21-2002, 07:32 PM
see its not that hard to get used to MANUAL CLUTCH NOW IS IT @!! lol :confused: :devil :D :D

pbarr86
04-21-2002, 09:42 PM
I think the fact that you already know how and when to shift will be a big help, getting the clutch thing down will just be practice. Last year I had the great ah-hem "Pleasure!?!?!?" of teaching two 10 year old boys how to ride their first ever dirtbike "XR-80" We had to go through everything like why they have to shift, when they have to shift, how the gears work, how the clutch works and how to do all of that at the same time without crashing. Well, after a couple of months of practice they are doing great, I'm not sure who is prouder them or me. Anyway, here is a picture of one of the boys after just a couple of months.

Good luck to you, I'm sure you will be fine with just a bit of practice.

Paul

RideRed04
04-21-2002, 10:27 PM
neutral is kinda like half way between 1st and 2nd. If you upshift from 1st, you get 2nd, unless you dont pull hard enugh (like if you just hit the lever with the side of your boot) then you get neutral. With a quad, you dont have to ballance while shifting, so it isnt bad. If you can rent one, go for it, learn on someone elses...lol.

04-22-2002, 01:18 AM
Erik, don't buy into all this crapola these dirt breathers are telling you. Trust me. I care. I really do. Cut those silly wires off your clutch lever, then just push the throttle lever all the way in and with the other hand press the start button.

p.s. Hold on.

:D

Braff1
04-22-2002, 03:16 AM
FastSSFurious, this past fall I taught my son and daughter how to use a manual clutch. While at first it may seem intimidating but after you you get use to it you will realize it is no biggy. My personal recommendation is to start off in a flat open area and just start and stop. Then progress on to changing gears (getting the synconization on clutch, shift, gas is the hard part). Once you are comfortable with that you have to play around some with the gears so that when you come to obstcle in the trail you will have an idea on which gear to use (2nd gear to climb hills, etc) to give you the power you will need. Take your time to become familar with each gear and its limitations.

I hope this helps.

PDunes300ex
04-22-2002, 10:42 AM
I wasn't sure if you understood the gears so hear it goes. As before mentioned 1-N-2-3-4-5. In quads (motorcycles) Shifting from neutral is one step down for first...then upshifting for the remainder of the gears. Neutral is half a click between first and second. Just learn how to use the clutch it really is not hard at all. Plus shifting with the clutch is fun when you get the hang of it.

330EXman
04-22-2002, 11:54 AM
hey i dont know how some of you learned how to shift and i think it is a disgrace. um ya when you shift make sure you use the clutch everytime you shift now just starting off. and never keep the throttle pinned inbettween shifts this is poor practice and not the right way. that way can blow you motor apart if you do it that way with the throttle pinned you can snapp your connecting rod in two and put holes through the case and even worse everytme you do that you are putting way way WAY to much stress on the trannsmission and you will pay for it.

just remember let the clutch out smoothly and slowly and give it gas when it needs it. with a good clutch hand you can get that thing moving without any gas!

just remember to use the clutch everytime.

Z400central
04-22-2002, 12:50 PM
I to am looking at getting a manual quad and at the shop when i sat on the quads and shifted, i pulled all the way up (upsift) until it stopped, then tapped down until it stopped, but i could only do that like 3 times, errr.....but when ur in neutral, you UPSHIFT to go to first, then downshift to go to neutral so then u tap it again to get to 2nd then 3rd, 4th, 5th? is that correct?im anxious to ask my neighbors how to ride, they have lots of quads, but i kinda sorta know them, but if i rent on, its like 250 bucks and i dont really wanna spend that much for a day of riding then have to give it back, besides, i have a grand now and im saving for my ATV...:)

pbarr86
04-22-2002, 03:13 PM
If you click it all the way down that is 1st gear, to get it into neutral you kinda have to do a half click UP. If you click UP to hard you will pass by neutral and go into 2nd. If you click UP again that will be 3rd, next click UP will be 4th and the last click UP will be 5th. The 300ex has a neutral indicator light so you can see when you are in neutral (I'm not sure about the 250ex or the 400ex)

Hope this helps,
Paul

MichaelS693
04-22-2002, 03:36 PM
the easiest way i found nuetral was to remember that it is half way between 1st and 2nd........you should learn really fast

stocktires
04-22-2002, 03:49 PM
just think regular gears then neutral is half way between 1st and 2nd. That way you never have to worry about neutral when riding. Its not like you will all of a sudden be a clutch expert. It takes much time to get really natural with a clutch. And On a 2-stroke (my 250r) clutch is everything. I guess the clutch was kinda natural for me cuz i rode a 400ex (99 brand new) when i was 11 (now 15) and been riding since i was able to ride. But clutch is WAYYYYY more fun than a semi-auto. Most people with a manual clutch quad would love to help you learn! Ya just gota ask them, I tought a 7 year how to ride one (quite well to!) on my 300ex when i had it. Now he's 8 and rides his bro's 400ex with him on the back, the kid is like 4 1/2 foot tall though. Its easy, it just takes time and patience and the desire to ride, especially if you have a brand new 400ex and cant ride it, that would suk, lol.

RideRed04
04-22-2002, 04:44 PM
Originally posted by hpicrv00
I to am looking at getting a manual quad and at the shop when i sat on the quads and shifted, i pulled all the way up (upsift) until it stopped, then tapped down until it stopped, but i could only do that like 3 times, errr.....but when ur in neutral, you UPSHIFT to go to first, then downshift to go to neutral so then u tap it again to get to 2nd then 3rd, 4th, 5th? is that correct?im anxious to ask my neighbors how to ride, they have lots of quads, but i kinda sorta know them, but if i rent on, its like 250 bucks and i dont really wanna spend that much for a day of riding then have to give it back, besides, i have a grand now and im saving for my ATV...:)

The tranny will only hit so many gears while sitting still.

Colin400EX
04-22-2002, 05:02 PM
Originally posted by RideRed04

The tranny will only hit so many gears while sitting still.

Yea.. If you want to go through the gears, you'll have to rock the bike forward a little to allow it to click into the next gear.

04-22-2002, 09:01 PM
for you youngsters who are just learning to shift gears I would suggest getting a 14 tooth sprocket on the 400ex because you can just let out the clutch and the bike will start to roll. ( you can let it out all the way with no gas and not stall) then you can practice your shifts from 2nd to 3rd and so forth without having to worry about stalling since takeoff is the hardest part to learn

RideRed04
04-23-2002, 03:37 PM
Originally posted by DOD Racing
for you youngsters who are just learning to shift gears I would suggest getting a 14 tooth sprocket on the 400ex because you can just let out the clutch and the bike will start to roll. ( you can let it out all the way with no gas and not stall) then you can practice your shifts from 2nd to 3rd and so forth without having to worry about stalling since takeoff is the hardest part to learn

I can do that with my stock ex, it is all about control. I saw some guys trying to do it, so I gave it a try and got it the first time. Even did it on a ds650 (not a whole lot of bottom end power). Just practice. You wount regret it. I agree that it will be much easier with a 14 tooth sproket. Keep the 15 tooth, you may want more top end some day.

04-23-2002, 06:48 PM
Im with vegasEX'r he has the right idea to shifting the right way as well as the way you must shift if you are racing, i raced motocross on bikes for 7 years and if you arent pinned non stop that goes for shifting as well you are getting passed, and i have never had " ONE " motor come apart on me

330EXman
04-24-2002, 03:25 PM
ya bro o i said was that if you dont let up at asll between shifts you will beat the piss out of the bike tranny. im sure you never had a bike long enough to know this because you have had many im sure. but ya you do have to be pinned but bad things come from that and it will bite you in the ***! i know i have rebuilt many trannys cause of this!

um shift the right way and you will be fine even if you have it pinned just let up for a split secont while you shift and just keep your revs up and its all good

later guys

04-25-2002, 08:58 PM
your right 330ex man you should shift the right way for any type of riding other than racing, but im just saying it is very possible to shift staying pinned without problems as long as it is done perfect every time, more of my problems came from misshifts or jamming the shifter coming off a big jump.

yamaha1470
04-28-2002, 01:23 PM
My cousin is getting a new quad and he doesnt know how to shift. Is it bad that he will be trying to break in a quad and learning to shift at the same time or is it no big deal.