PDA

View Full Version : Best trail modification

dn1911
12-07-2004, 03:59 PM
one thing i have noticed when people buy a new R for normal trail riding is that they don't like the gearing. So everyone tells them to go buy a 13T sproket and add a pipe and so on. well i did all that stuff and even used a 13/39 gearing. well i kept looking for something to give me that lowend push with out using all that gearing. it was great in the tight trails but horrible in long drags. a two wheel rider at my dealer recommended i try to find a flywheel weight for the R. well no one had them but Trail Tech was supposed to make new dirrect replacement ones soon.

Finally after waiting about 6 months they were finally able to send me a flywheel around the 8 or 9 ounce mark. i finally got it installed and have done some short runs around my neighborhood with it, and all i can say is that it is the best $120 i have spent on this bike. with my 13/39 gearing (wich i now to much) their was a very noticble difference as soon as i let the clutch out. it required les gas and slipping and took off with a noticble shove. goose the gas and she came up to verticle much easier and faster. i was able to let the RPM drop way down in third then ease in the gas and it pulled out where as i used to have to clutch it some. as far as i can tell their really dosen't seem to be a loss in how fast the bike revs either.

now that it is in the bike i will hopefully be doing some more riding this weekend and will be able to give some more info on how it reacted in the woods and on the hills. i have also put my 14T back on front and will be doing some testing with that also. once i have my Hotcam stage 2 in i should be able to pul or run with my buddies HRC bike that always gets me after 3rd gear.

anyway if you have just purchased a new R or are going to be then i would definitly consider Trail Tech's flywheel as a must do modification if you will be riding in the woods. you will absolutly not be disapointed.

Scro
12-08-2004, 03:25 PM
wouldnt that make it want to stall easier on steep hills???

dn1911
12-08-2004, 07:32 PM
actually it is completly reverse of that. here is a good explination of how + or - flywheels work.Flywheel FAQ (http://www.trx450r.org/forum/index.php?showtopic=1858)

Gregg C
12-10-2004, 06:36 AM
What does a stock flywheel weigh ??

Gregg

red2004 TRX450R
12-10-2004, 11:01 AM
Originally posted by Gregg C
What does a stock flywheel weigh ??

Gregg

Honda 2004-2005 TRX450 Flywheel
Part#6600-XX
The stock TRX450 flywheel weighs 24 ounces. All Trail Tech aftermarket flywheels are listed by the weight that is added to stock: 9 ounce flywheel has a complete weight of 33 ounces (24 oz + 9 oz).

ITS ALL ON THERE SIGHT

holeshot19
12-10-2004, 04:16 PM
makes bike so much easer to ride dosnt stall and smooths out bottom end:blah:

dn1911
12-13-2004, 03:41 PM
exactly! allows use of stock gearing instead of 13T so you gain your top end back. it really dosen't rev slower either. technically it does but dosen't feel like it.

also Trail Tech now has aftermarket pullers available. so you don't have to find a $70 Honda one. theirs is in the $20's

DirtDevilBT
12-13-2004, 05:16 PM
I thought a lightened flywheel was better? Can anyone explain the difference?

dn1911
12-13-2004, 06:47 PM
flywheel FAQ (http://www.trx450r.org/forum/index.php?showtopic=1858)

this link has some good info on which one does what and what type of riding it is best suited for.

trx450r1118
12-14-2004, 02:44 PM
So basically if I want my quad to have quicker acceleration in the low to mid rpm range without losing top end pull I should go with the weighted flywheel? Seems like a confusing topic to an extent

dn1911
12-14-2004, 04:39 PM
it is confusing in a sense and i'll still debate wich one will get a quad to accelerate faseter.

the heavy flywheel will slow the revs. down, even though there is no aparent loss. since it does this technically it should accelerate slower, but since it has less of that snap you get better traction. also higher gearing can be used because of the low end push it provides. this flywheel would be best in any off-road conditions in my opnion.

now if you are riding MX or dunes where absolute fast rev out is needed the lighter one would be better. but only for condidtions where low end torque isn't really needed. technically this one will rev faster.

so even though the lighter one revs quicker the heavier one should provide better and smoother traction, if you can keep the front end down (it does come up easier). the lighter one would probably catch the heavy one and pass it after it grabs.