PDA

View Full Version : buying your own springs????

400exvette
12-07-2004, 01:30 PM
I would like to throw some more options out there for those of us that do not want to spend the BIG $$$$$$ for suspension. I have read on here before that some guys buy there own springs and install them. Are there such places that would sell you springs and give you good information on adjusting the shocks for what you want?? Or, is there some kind of "LIABILITY LAW" that says you can't safely set up your own shocks. I would like to try some different springs on my stock 450r shocks just to get it lower. I know the valving and all that other crap will not be perfect....but the stock shocks I have now aren't perfect for everyone either! There has to be someone, somewhere that has the correct spring or springs to go with the stock valving to make the quad ride lower and still handle good enough for the average JOE. Anyone else try this? Or, is this just too far out there? I know some can tell the difference in valving....but most can't. Thanks for any info!

chucked
12-07-2004, 02:35 PM
are you from elkton in md??

norrisboat
12-07-2004, 02:53 PM
Well, how much do you weigh? If you are a lighter person you can definitly go with a lighter spring rate. That should help a bit.

400exvet
12-09-2004, 12:42 PM
chucked, yes elkton md....live off of old field point rd but ride the north east area.

come on now I can't believe I'm the only one thinking about this. I figured that Jeff, C&D and Santo wouldn't really want to give out the good info. cause it will be taking potential business from them. But, there has to be someone else out there that has thought about and/or tried this.

12-10-2004, 05:37 PM
Depending on your weight, riding style and the valving of the shock depends on what spring rate you should use. Spring rates work in conjunction with the valving. If you want to buy a different spring it is going to cost you. The springs vary from $60-90 a piece. So you are better off having the shock revalved for the same price and getting the suspension set up for YOU!