PDA

View Full Version : steering radius Help!!

speedracer350X
12-07-2004, 12:20 PM
My 400 turns to the left sharper than it does to the right. I measured the gap at the bottom of the steering stem, and they both meaure at 1 1/2 inches. Also, my right wheel is cambered like so if you're looking at it from the front, / . I notice the left wheel seems to be properly aligned. I obviously hit somehting pretty hard with the right front. Just can't seem to figure out what part is bent or I'd replace it. I just tried a new spindle, but that didn't help the matter any. I eyeballed the new and old spindle, and the old one isn't bent. They seem pretty tough. I don't think a tie rod is bent, would that affect camber? Any suggestions or help appreciated, don't really feel like taking it to a dealer to have it straightend out. Would it be possible that the upper or lower ball joint could've ben bent that bad to knock it out of proper camber angle? Thanks again for any suggestions .

dantwo
12-07-2004, 12:55 PM
is your steering stop good?????

44oEX
12-07-2004, 01:27 PM
well for the steering more one way then the other I would check it the tie rods need ajusting.

And for the camber well you probably have a bent a-arm or frame.

speedracer350X
12-07-2004, 06:33 PM
A bent A-arm is probably my next route. I've tried adjusting the toe in-out before and it really didn't do anything to the steering radius. The steering stop seems OK, like I said earlier, I measured both distances nad they were both equal. I don't think the frame is bent, 'cause I've had the bike since new in August of '03. But it is my 1st four wheeler, believe or not, I've always ridden 3 wheelers. But my old 350X is just getting to be" tired iron", so I made the switch. Couldn't beat the price, 4600 otd for a brand new 400EX. My friend has one since 2000, and I've always liked his. ANyways, sorry to get off track, but really it did take some getting used to as far as riding goes, 'cause now I have that extra front wheel to hit things with, can't get it into as tight of places as I can with my 3 wheeler. Hence, my steering problem. Anyways, thanks for all the replies, hope I can figure this out. It's tough to figure out which part to replace if you don't know which part is broke or bent.