View Full Version : Should we lower the drinking age to 18?

iacobucci
12-07-2004, 06:16 AM
Im giving a speech in my speech class and i need to have a poll taken. So why not have a bunch of ATV riders take the poll. Thank you

Rico
12-07-2004, 06:18 AM
I say NO>

If I had to wait till I was 21 then so should everyone else....:mad:

muddkitten
12-07-2004, 06:31 AM
i think if they are old enuff to serve our country they are old enuff to be served a beer:cool:

YLW400
12-07-2004, 06:34 AM
Yer' damn right Kitten. If you can die for your country, then you should be able to have a beer! :macho

infantry317
12-07-2004, 06:46 AM
Originally posted by muddkitten
i think if they are old enuff to serve our country they are old enuff to be served a beer:cool:

I say 21 UNLESS you serve your country. Then 18.

muddkitten
12-07-2004, 06:51 AM
Originally posted by infantry317

i agree on that one too. maybe only able to buy it with your military id card if your under 21:)

YLW400
12-07-2004, 07:00 AM
I don't agree with that.. I think 18 and over. If you can even make the decision to go and fight for your country, then you should be able to make the decision to have a beer or not..

Back in the 80's, if you were 18 on a military base, you could drink..

Stevie-D
12-07-2004, 07:02 AM
it doesn't really matter what the legal age is. im still in high school. you'd be surprised how many parents buy their kids alcohol. that's right. and if the parents wont do it, they will just go somewhere else for it. and out here in the sticks, noone ever gets caught with it. so there isn't really much point in a legal drinking age. around here anyway. :confused:

44oEX
12-07-2004, 07:04 AM
in canada it's only 19 and and in some provinces it's 18

MY450R
12-07-2004, 07:14 AM
21 and older
kids are to damn immature

Rico
12-07-2004, 08:01 AM

I do agree with this but as someone else stated most 18 year olds are immature and don't even know what a belt is and let there pants hang around thier ankles.

If your serving out country in the military then hell yeah give them boyz a beer...:macho

Pappy
12-07-2004, 08:08 AM
does anyone think an 18 year old..say in 1978 was more responsible then a 18 year old in 2004:confused:

SGA
12-07-2004, 08:10 AM
Originally posted by Rico
I do agree with this but as someone else stated most 18 year olds are immature and don't even know what a belt is and let there pants hang around thier ankles.

If your serving out country in the military then hell yeah give them boyz a beer...:macho

I totally agree.

YLW400
12-07-2004, 08:11 AM
but they are "mature" enough to take a bullet?

Rico
12-07-2004, 08:14 AM
Originally posted by Pappy
does anyone think an 18 year old..say in 1978 was more responsible then a 18 year old in 2004:confused:

Yuuup. Alot more I think. THey might have been hippies but thug life wasn't the way to be. Getting a job, a house and off momma's tit was important, not how much bling bling can I acquire around my neck...:rolleyes:

quadrcr161
12-07-2004, 08:16 AM
although fighting for the U.S. isnt easy, you make the descision if you go or not. do you really think kids should be drinking that soon? hell i say leave it at 21, and raise the DL up to 18. at 16 most kids dont know how or are mature enough to operate a car even. just to make it fair retest every person with a DL but have a harder test, you will be shocked at the number of people that would fail.

smith_400ex_213
12-07-2004, 08:18 AM
the U.S. has the highest driking age (21) and yea liek what u guys said if u can die for ur country u should be able to drink and goverment forces u to pay taxes i think u should be able to drink also...i dunno i think a 21 year old drinking age is bull *****...adn if they want to cut down on underagers...lower the drinking age...i figure that would work

YLW400
12-07-2004, 08:19 AM
Do you think they should be given the decision to lose their life for their country, that 75% of the people in the US don't have the balls to?

infantry317
12-07-2004, 08:21 AM
Originally posted by YLW400
but they are "mature" enough to take a bullet?

Key issue being whether you are in danger, if you're not in the military stop the drama.

YLW400
12-07-2004, 08:23 AM
for one sweetcheeks, I was ;)

not trying to be dramatic, just trying to get a point across

quadrcr161
12-07-2004, 08:25 AM
is drinking that big of a deal anyway? yea i have a drink every so often, but you people sounds like eyour in detox needing a drink to get through the day. once you reach the drinking age its not that big of a deal. i think your just making it more of an issure because they say you cant do it.

infantry317
12-07-2004, 08:26 AM
Easy young monster :devil: I thought you were some 16yr old drama queen. :D J/k

YLW400
12-07-2004, 08:29 AM
:eek: :D lmao It's cool.. lol

and yes quad, drinking is that big of a deal:o :D

Rico
12-07-2004, 08:31 AM
I thought you were some 16yr old drama queen. :D J/k

He is a drag Queen but not 16,,.:devil: OH you said drama not drag, my bad....:eek2:

If 18 year olds acted like adults now a days I'd agree on it but they are far from adults if you ask me.

hot450girl
12-07-2004, 08:31 AM
I DO NOT think that the drinking age should be lowered seeing my sister was 17 when she was killed in a drunk driving accident. In all honesty, I am glad the way the laws are set up now because you can have one glass of wine and blow the legal limit! If you are going to drink, stay at home. Canada is getting all the money seeing that every 19 year old in the US is going over there to get wasted. So I guess if the us wants more money then it would make sense to lower the age.:ermm:

quadrcr161
12-07-2004, 08:39 AM
:eek: :D lmao It's cool.. lol

and yes quad, drinking is that big of a deal:o :D

ok, guess its just not that big of a deal to me lol

sorry to hear about your sister 450girl

n00b on a 400ex
12-07-2004, 08:44 AM
legal or not, what pervents us from drinking, smoking, or riding a high-performance quad under 16? theres no point if you csn go to a party and get wasted and stoned.

Pappy
12-07-2004, 08:45 AM
Originally posted by hot450girl
If you are going to drink, stay at home.

no truer statement has been posted!

quadrcr161
12-07-2004, 08:47 AM
Originally posted by n00b on a 400ex
legal or not, what pervents us from drinking, smoking, or riding a high-performance quad under 16? theres no point if you csn go to a party and get wasted and stoned.

your own common sence, and your parrents.

zephead400ex
12-07-2004, 08:48 AM
I thought that if you were in the military, you could legally drink at 18.(?) Correct me if I'm wrong.

The drinking age should not be lowered to 18, for many reasons that I think would be redundant to even list.

FourFiftyFour
12-07-2004, 09:27 AM
why would anyone lower the drinking age? it would be a very stupid thing. People should learn to control themselves anyway, and most 18-20 yr olds that i know definitely cant control themselves when they drink :rolleyes:

YLW400
12-07-2004, 09:44 AM
It wasn't 18 when I was in the military, Zephead. It was 21.

I'm sorry for your loss 450girl:(

sharkinthepool
12-07-2004, 09:45 AM
This is pretty good.

On one hand I believe if you are old enough to die for the country then you should be able to drink.

On the other, I am with "Rico", If I had to wait so do you!:D

JTRtrx250r
12-07-2004, 10:02 AM
i think if they are old enuff to serve our country they are old enuff to be served a beer:cool: makes a good point!

I think we have enough boozers in the world as it is...why give em' a jump start, just be even more dead teenagers..

Quad18star
12-07-2004, 10:13 AM
The legal drinking age in my province is 19 ... and the one next to us is 18 ... but that never stopped us from starting to drink at a lower age . Like a few people said ... the number of parents that buy alcohol for their children would amaze you .

What I find odd , is that at the age of 12 , they'll let a kid use a firearm .... at the age of 14 they'll let him drive a snowmobile that is capable of speeds of 110-125MPH ( or more) .... at 16 they can drive a car ... at 18 they can by cigarettes and at 19 they can buy alcohol ( 21 in most of your cases) . To me , a 12 year old behind a gun and a 16 year old behind the wheel of a car is more dangerous than a 19 year old with a beer .

As far as those that say , that the younger generation is not as responsible as those of the older generations , I'll bet you that 75% of all drinking and drive accidents and deaths are caused by those that are 30 years old or more . They seem to have the old mentality that it's alright to drink and drive ... as where the younger crowd has been taught in schools that if you drink and drive and get caught ... you'll pay the price .

I can't even count on my hands the amount of times , my dad has told me stories about him growing up in the 60s and drinking to the point where you can hardly walk .... but jumped in the car and drove home . This still seems to be the mentality if the people that grew up back then .... I can litterally stand outside the local watering hole and watch as the 60 year olds stumble out of the bar and drive home . But if you go to any bar that serves the younger crowd .... most of the times you'll see taxis waiting or cars parked in the parking lot the next morning from people that walked home or got a ride with a sobber driver .

12-07-2004, 10:18 AM
What I find odd , is that at the age of 12 , they'll let a kid use a firearm .... at the age of 14 they'll let him drive a snowmobile that is capable of speeds of 110-125MPH ( or more) .... at 16 they can drive a car ... at 18 they can by cigarettes and at 19 they can buy alcohol ( 21 in most of your cases) . To me , a 12 year old behind a gun and a 16 year old behind the wheel of a car is more dangerous than a 19 year old with a beer .

The combinations of alcohol and the other things mentioned is what is scary!

Quad18star
12-07-2004, 10:35 AM
Originally posted by GNCCer
The combinations of alcohol and the other things mentioned is what is scary!

Oh i won't disagree that if you start mixing alcohol with all these other things it won't be dangerous , cuz it sure as hell is leathal . You gotta know your limits and if it's one of those nights where you don't care what your limits are ... make sure you have a safe ride home ... sleep over at someone's place or walk home .

But it is also dangerous to let a 14 year old get behind the controls of a snowmobile that is capable of very high speeds ( there are no laws as to what size sled kids can drive... a 14 year old on a T-Cat 1000 is deadly) ..... so is letting someone that just downed a couple painkillers that makes the drowsy get behind the wheel of a vehicle .

From personal experience , once you are of legal drinking age ... the fun just isn't there anymore . I used to be at the bar every weekend when I was younger .. especially when I was underage ... but a few months after my 19th birthday ... the fun of it all just wore off . When you realize you spend a few hundred at the bar on a Friday and Saturday night , the fun fades away . I'll go to the bar maybe once or twice a month and only have a couple beer ... mostly go to socialize and meet new people ... nt to get plastered like I used to .

YLW400
12-07-2004, 10:36 AM
Rico, I only do that on the weekends now :o :D

86350x
12-07-2004, 10:46 AM
You should try riding in st ignace if the combination thing scares you. People drive right up the side walk and go to the bar. Same thing on mackinaw island. But the speeds are so low on the island, you don't have to worry too much. St ignace and paradise are insane. Drunk people going 90mph down trails just wide enough for 2 machines at night. Its no wonder we had so many deaths and injury's last year. I think 2 where alcohol related, and the other 2 were blair morgan wanna bee's.

I was up in grand marias when the last one occured, I remembered seeing alot of red snow around a corner.

When it was 18, things were a mess. People missing school, smashing there cars. Even more fights at the bars (we have alot of both in my area). There are a few reasons they changed it back. Pluss other then driving to canada (border is 1 hr from my door) I had to wait, so you should too.:blah:

Quad18star
12-07-2004, 10:54 AM
John ..... the amount of sledding deaths here in the early '90s was unreal . That's really when sledding was at it's peak and the guys would go from lodge to lodge and drink ... by the time they are at the 3rd or 4th lodge these guys are plastered and jump on the sleds and take off . But thanks to new regultions that will hold the lodge owners responsible for the deaths of any persons leaving their establishment intoxicated , the number of alcohol related deaths has gone way down . We still get way too many accidents and deaths as a result of people riding beyond their limits and crossing unsafe ice .

So you used to go to the Sault to drink eh?? party it up with some crazy canucks?? :blah: I might head down to St-Ignace next summer for their car show and maybe back to the island for some good old fudge ... I vaguely remember going there when i was a kid .... all I remember was all the horses and bicycles . :D

zephead400ex
12-07-2004, 10:57 AM
It wasn't 18 when I was in the military, Zephead. It was 21.

Right on. I thinkthere are some rules that allow drinking by 18 year olds that are in the military, maybe just on base or something of the sort. I dunno, I have no idea what I'm talking about, I'm going to shut my trap:D

bman9
12-07-2004, 11:03 AM
Originally posted by Stevie-D
it doesn't really matter what the legal age is. im still in high school. you'd be surprised how many parents buy their kids alcohol. that's right. and if the parents wont do it, they will just go somewhere else for it. and out here in the sticks, noone ever gets caught with it. so there isn't really much point in a legal drinking age. around here anyway. :confused:

agreed with ^^^^^^

YLW400
12-07-2004, 11:06 AM
If you could of Zep, I would of been doing it when I was 19..lol

FasstMidnightZ
12-07-2004, 11:26 AM
if u have the drinking age before u can drive, then there wont be as many wrecks cause people will allready know what it is like to drink and SHOULD know there limit :rolleyes:

MY450R
12-07-2004, 11:29 AM
Originally posted by zephead400ex
Right on. I thinkthere are some rules that allow drinking by 18 year olds that are in the military, maybe just on base or something of the sort. I dunno, I have no idea what I'm talking about, I'm going to shut my trap:D
i believe your right as long as they are stationed out of the US
where the drinking age is under 21
speaking of legalization,they really shopuld legalize marijuana
its a lot less harful than alcohol
yeaH you get high for what?45 minutes and hour maybe then your fine.
with booze you get wasted ...you dont know where you are or how you got there then you get sick
not5 only that but you are at far less risk of killing someone in a car when your "high than if your drunk

zephead400ex
12-07-2004, 11:36 AM
Originally posted by MY450R
i believe your right as long as they are stationed out of the US
where the drinking age is under 21
speaking of legalization,they really shopuld legalize marijuana
its a lot less harful than alcohol
yeaH you get high for what?45 minutes and hour maybe then your fine.
with booze you get wasted ...you dont know where you are or how you got there then you get sick
not5 only that but you are at far less risk of killing someone in a car when your "high than if your drunk

haha, I don't want to start that discussion!http://www.kcisp.net/~pbryant/Smilies/yeahsmoke.gif

MY450R
12-07-2004, 11:41 AM
why not zep
its totaly true but im thinking you agree lol

zephead400ex
12-07-2004, 11:58 AM
why not zep
its totaly true but im thinking you agree lol

I plead the 5thhttp://www.kcisp.net/~pbryant/Smilies/afro.gif

This subject has been brought up before, a couple times and, whew...way too much ingnorance gets shown.

MY450R
12-07-2004, 12:23 PM
I plead the 5thhttp://www.kcisp.net/~pbryant/Smilies/afro.gif

This subject has been brought up before, a couple times and, whew...way too much ingnorance gets shown. WUS

Samson
12-07-2004, 12:43 PM
Mmmm......beer!

What's the point? Who had trouble finding someone to buy beer for them at 18? Especially chicks! Wish I could go back in time and get some of that money back! Amazing no matter how drunk a girl gets, she never forgets the word NO! Anyway, aren't we really talking about keeping the youngins out of bars and nudie clubs more than keeping them from drinking? Cause quite frankly, it ain't working.

Oh, and I think 18 is old enough. But Bush should consider that military ID idea! Forget the draft talk. He'd have to turn people away!

Cheers! ;)

bansheeguy77
12-07-2004, 12:56 PM
i think it should stay the same. because like it was stated before there are too many immature "punks" that are 18. i am 18, and i drink but only at home and when i dont have to drive. but yet some of my "friends" drank til they bout passed out then drove home 40 miles. but the thing is my dad goes out every weekend and gets totally wasted and drives home which is about 50 miles. i preach and preach til im blue in the face...gets ya no where. what can ya do? so if you can pick the immature under 21s out from the mature under 21s then lower it for them. but you cant so let it where it is and just raise the punishment for getting cought. i say they should raise the punishment for drugs too. there is too much illegal use of all substances going around. maybe if you threaten them with a few years in jail or loss of their license or anything instead of a slap on the wrist we will get somewhere.
also they should definately raise the driving age. there is no way in hell 16 year olds are ready to be driving. i know many of 16 and 17 year olds who im afraid to drive the opposite way as. most of them are girls (sorry). but i think the driving test should be more extensive and actually prove you can drive and drive safely. not stop at a redlight, stop sign, go by a house make a right turn...yay u pass heres ur license. k im done preaching now.

12-07-2004, 12:57 PM
I say 21 UNLESS you serve your country. Then 18. That is the law, if your in the military, you can drink at bars on base, or something like that.

YLW400
12-07-2004, 01:02 PM
Not in the Air Force you couldn't..

12-07-2004, 01:02 PM
Originally posted by quadrcr161
is drinking that big of a deal anyway? yea i have a drink every so often, but you people sounds like eyour in detox needing a drink to get through the day. once you reach the drinking age its not that big of a deal. i think your just making it more of an issure because they say you cant do it. This is why it should be lowered. In alot of europe, drinking isnt a big deal between kids because the drinking age is low, so its not a big deal.

MY450R
12-07-2004, 01:03 PM
Originally posted by bansheeguy77
i think it should stay the same. because like it was stated before there are too many immature "punks" that are 18. i am 18, and i drink but only at home and when i dont have to drive. but yet some of my "friends" drank til they bout passed out then drove home 40 miles. but the thing is my dad goes out every weekend and gets totally wasted and drives home which is about 50 miles. i preach and preach til im blue in the face...gets ya no where. what can ya do? so if you can pick the immature under 21s out from the mature under 21s then lower it for them. but you cant so let it where it is and just raise the punishment for getting cought. i say they should raise the punishment for drugs too. there is too much illegal use of all substances going around. maybe if you threaten them with a few years in jail or loss of their license or anything instead of a slap on the wrist we will get somewhere.
also they should definately raise the driving age. there is no way in hell 16 year olds are ready to be driving. i know many of 16 and 17 year olds who im afraid to drive the opposite way as. most of them are girls (sorry). but i think the driving test should be more extensive and actually prove you can drive and drive safely. not stop at a redlight, stop sign, go by a house make a right turn...yay u pass heres ur license. k im done preaching now.
mature or not all it takes is one time to kill yourself or someone else

LazeR
12-07-2004, 01:06 PM
Originally posted by Samson
Anyway, aren't we really talking about keeping the youngins out of bars and nudie clubs more than keeping them from drinking?

In Eugene, Oregon there is a strip club for 18 y/o's, no alcohol is served but there is naked girls :eek2:

zephead400ex
12-07-2004, 01:20 PM
mature or not all it takes is one time to kill yourself or someone else

I agree. Everyone hears it over and over and over and over...but it can happen to anyone, believe me, I've been there and NEVER want to go through anything like I had to again!!!! Drinking and driving is absolutely ridiculous and irresponsible.

Quad18star
12-07-2004, 01:26 PM
I agree. Everyone hears it over and over and over and over...but it can happen to anyone, believe me, I've been there and NEVER want to go through anything like I had to again!!!! Drinking and driving is absolutely ridiculous and irresponsible.

Yup .... I agree with that . I did it once and scared the hell outta myself the next morning . Especially when my car was parked on my front lawn . You can guarantee I was watching the news that night to make sure there was no reports of a hit and run or anyone getting killed by a drunk driver that left the scene .

zephead400ex
12-07-2004, 01:29 PM
I was in a drunk driving accident along with Brandon, ledofthezep. Neither one of us were driving, but the girl driving was killed. I was thrown out. If the vehicle rolled one more time, I would have been crushed. It is a very long story, but the point is simple, don't drink and drive.

infantry317
12-07-2004, 01:43 PM
Originally posted by Atkins450
That is the law, if your in the military, you can drink at bars on base, or something like that.

Wrong!

hondarider2006
12-07-2004, 01:49 PM
Doesn't matter if the "legal" drinking age was 25, kids are still gonna drink. Whatever legal age it is really has nothing to do with it. If a kid under 21 wants to drink, then they are gonna drink, its really not that hard to do. So lowering it to 18 would just make it that much easier:o

Chanman420q
12-07-2004, 02:06 PM
is drinking that big of a deal anyway? yea i have a drink every so often, but you people sounds like eyour in detox needing a drink to get through the day. once you reach the drinking age its not that big of a deal. i think your just making it more of an issure because they say you cant do it.

EXACTLY!

look at france, there kids can drink at like 14 or something like that right? If it was a lower age, it wouldnt be that big of a deal. Everyone says that, once u can leagally do it, its really not that big of a deal. And to be honest, im 17, and i could get beer right now if i honestly wanted it. Having to be 21 just means you need to find other ways to aquire the stuff

tp300ex
12-07-2004, 02:26 PM
if u can go to war at 18 u should be able to drink

12-07-2004, 02:26 PM
Im 16 and i drink. Does that mean i drive home from parties? No.

nacs400ex
12-07-2004, 06:09 PM
Originally posted by CDaleChick
why would anyone lower the drinking age? it would be a very stupid thing. People should learn to control themselves anyway, and most 18-20 yr olds that i know definitely cant control themselves when they drink :rolleyes:

For that matter there are MANY adults as well that cant control themselves when they drink.

Once your of legal age drinkin isnt a big deal. I am only 18 (legal age here is 19) and drinking is not a big deal to me. But I suppose your right many kids I know dont have much control who are under the legal age:confused: But I think its funny your legal age is 21, and your beer is water. :eek2:

yfsrider
12-07-2004, 06:19 PM
the drinking age here in alberta is 18. i turned 18 in november.:D

yes i say it should be lowered for you americans

Tommy 17
12-07-2004, 06:19 PM
the thing that pisses me off is the people that sterotype me as a 18 year old punk thug... not EVERYone that is 18 is a thug wannabe... not everyone of us lives off mommy and daddy... not everyone of us cares about bling bling... some of us are in the real world...

i personally believe it should be 18... the only reason most people my age drink is because we aren't allowed 2... if i drink tomorrow cool... if i don't thats cool 2...

i've been drinkin since 7th grade... its no big deal to me...

come to my college one day... u'll see exactly who drank b4 they came bc they are the ones doin good in college and not out gettin drunk every night... the ones that never drank don't know how to handle their liquor and man it causes some MAJOR problems...

n00b on a 400ex
12-07-2004, 09:29 PM
exactly, just because i can get drinks doesnt mean i will. maybe we shouldnt be able to go into the army until were 21 cause these 18 year old punks might play quickdraw with their friends and accidentally shoot one of htem :ermm:

86350x
12-08-2004, 02:10 AM
Originally posted by Quad18star
John ..... the amount of sledding deaths here in the early '90s was unreal . That's really when sledding was at it's peak and the guys would go from lodge to lodge and drink ... by the time they are at the 3rd or 4th lodge these guys are plastered and jump on the sleds and take off . But thanks to new regultions that will hold the lodge owners responsible for the deaths of any persons leaving their establishment intoxicated , the number of alcohol related deaths has gone way down . We still get way too many accidents and deaths as a result of people riding beyond their limits and crossing unsafe ice .

So you used to go to the Sault to drink eh?? party it up with some crazy canucks?? :blah: I might head down to St-Ignace next summer for their car show and maybe back to the island for some good old fudge ... I vaguely remember going there when i was a kid .... all I remember was all the horses and bicycles . :D

No, I did do that a few times when julie was going to lssu. I live right by sarnia. If you ever get the chance to ride a snowmobile around the island its awesome. Something that not everyone will get to do. Worth the trip for the pics and the scenery.

Peanut butter fudge is awesome.

Btw, we went in groups when I was younger, and did the cab thing too. Just rented 2 rooms, passed out where ever, went home the next day.

blondie69
12-08-2004, 07:08 AM
I say the drinking age should stay the same (for both states n' canada), but if it were to be lowered in the states, not to be lowered anymore then 19.
The drinking age really doesn't have much enforcement or restrictions really...all it basically is, is you can't go to a bar, and even then you can get fake i.d's. And not all people are interested in bars, personally myself, I don't like them, I get bad vibes from them. When I'm 19...you will catch me at a bar maybe once or twice a yr. But for underage people to get liquor from a store...just within my lil circle of friends, I have more then pleanty of contacts to get it for me. Even at the liquor stores, they don't always I.D you, when my bf was 17 he was able to buy liquor cuz he looked over 19. If there's a legal drinking age, they should at least I.D you if you look UNDER 30-35 no matter what (like they do at some resturants n places).
Either way though, weather the drinking age remained the same, lowered, highered, whatever, there's still going to be youths drinking. I just find it really sad when I find out about 12 or 13 yr olds drinking:(
But I do like the military idea, if your in the military, and your under 21, you can drink.

12-08-2004, 07:24 AM
I think its easier around here to get weed or other drugs than it is alcohol and alcohol isnt completely illegal.

phatswinn
12-08-2004, 08:49 AM
i said no and im 18, and the only reason is because i like drinking allitle too much with my friends, if i could buy it id be a drunk for life, us 18yr olds dont need that stuff to be handed to us anywhere we want

phatswinn
12-08-2004, 08:52 AM
Originally posted by Atkins450
I think its easier around here to get weed or other drugs than it is alcohol and alcohol isnt completely illegal.

its easier to buy weed than it is to buy a double cheese burger at mickey d's, and thats cuz u can have it delievered to your house and not have to tip anyone

Rico
12-08-2004, 10:39 AM
Originally posted by Tommy 17
the thing that pisses me off is the people that sterotype me as a 18 year old punk thug... not EVERYone that is 18 is a thug wannabe... not everyone of us lives off mommy and daddy... not everyone of us cares about bling bling... some of us are in the real world...

STFU..... Thug boy..:blah:

I have to agree with you Tammy. It's a shame that some youngins know that when you turn 18 it's time to grow up and become an adult and others think OH Boy I"m 18 and that's as far as their thought process goes...:huh I moved out at 18 and started to raise myself on my own making $5.50 an hour.

JTRtrx250r
12-08-2004, 11:18 AM
Originally posted by Rico
STFU..... Thug boy..:blah:

I have to agree with you Tammy. It's a shame that some youngins know that when you turn 18 it's time to grow up and become an adult and others think OH Boy I"m 18 and that's as far as their thought process goes...:huh I moved out at 18 and started to raise myself on my own making $5.50 an hour. I hear ya Rico, I moved out at 17..w/ twin boys..and havent been back since, seems alotta kids turn 18 and wanna live w/ mom and dad so they can party and whoop it up for a few yrs w/o the overhead, seems my kids kinda have the same idea in their heads..little do they know...they're highly mistaken!:devil: They got 1 yr left!:blah:

Ralph
12-08-2004, 11:25 AM
My view on it,

In germany you are allowed to purchase/drink beer at 16 y/o. It isnt made out to be such a big thing and their aloud to do it so kids dont go crazy over it, they think its no big deal. This way they learn responsiblility very early and since its nothing special to them they dont have this "gotta get drunk" attitude.

Even though i think it would be near impossible to bring this into the us i still think something needs to be changed. What do kids like the most, something they cant have and arent supposed to do. Or the same ol junk that isnt a big deal?

wilkin250r
12-08-2004, 11:33 AM
Of course anybody under 21 will say the drinking age should be lowered. But I'm curious. How many under the age of 24 still believe the drinking age should be lowered?

Bush0102
12-08-2004, 01:12 PM
If i can be drafted into service, enlist into service, vote for the president, buy cigarettes, etc...

i should be able to drink beer. Besides, statistics show that in countries where the drinking age is lower, the abuse rate is lower. I'm 19, and that doesnt really stop me from getting alcohol, so why not just lower the age anyway?

markk
12-08-2004, 02:16 PM
Yer' damn right Kitten. If you can die for your country, then you should be able to have a beer! :macho

I agree, But im 19 now, and i wish that i could drink legaly, But i do know alot of ppl my age, and yet older that are to irresponsable. I think that it should stay at 21, Just for that reason The average 18 year old doesnt have enuf sence not to drive when they have been drinking! I know that if i where hit by a drunk drive, and i and he survived, There would be some hell to pay for him!!

knighttime
12-08-2004, 02:18 PM
ya gotta military id??

that might be a good way to go instead of a draft

dunnonuttin
12-08-2004, 02:30 PM
then we should lower the tobacco age to 15 so i can buy copenhagen legally and let my mom know that i dip

Samson
12-08-2004, 03:53 PM
Originally posted by dunnonuttin
then we should lower the tobacco age to 15 so i can buy copenhagen legally and let my mom know that i dip

You know they say when you have to get your lip cut-off, they take the skin off you butt to sew it up!

...oh well, maybe at least then you could grow a decent goatee! :D

DEAL
12-08-2004, 04:42 PM
In 4 days I'll be legal to do everything I've been doing since I was 13! :devil:

Pappy
12-08-2004, 04:46 PM
if guys were smart, we would really push for women/girls to be allowed to drink at 18 since they are more responsible:o well atleast sober they are:devil:

Dust_1503
12-08-2004, 06:56 PM
From One Division 1 college school student, i don't think drinkin is that big of a deal to get in a fuss about if your gonna do it anyway then why should you care about lowering it. I say leave it a 21.. Once you do it, it'll get old after awhile, more things are important than drinking to me its racing.

toby400ex
12-08-2004, 07:41 PM
Doesnt really even matter, half the kids I know get trashed or stoned every weekend.:ermm:

400exrules
12-08-2004, 07:59 PM
i dont want it to get lowerd cuz that just means more drunk drivin morons on the roads, and i get my licence in january.

i have a job, and things to live for so i dont give a f^ck if they raised it to the age of 50

chucked
12-08-2004, 08:20 PM
Originally posted by Bush0102
If i can be drafted into service, enlist into service, vote for the president, buy cigarettes, etc...

i should be able to drink beer. Besides, statistics show that in countries where the drinking age is lower, the abuse rate is lower. I'm 19, and that doesnt really stop me from getting alcohol, so why not just lower the age anyway?

of course they are, it cuts out the whole 18-20 age group.

Narly R
12-08-2004, 08:38 PM
You have to remember how some people are, amagine what it would be like if one day the drinking age was lowered in a big city. The bars would make a good profit that day. There are TONS of 18-20 year olds that are immature, and would drink 24/7. Cause a lot of trouble. People have the rong idea about it like that. In a lot of cases they could lower it, but in others they could not. People are still able to get it pretty easily. So if someone wants to drink they are going to do it, so the age is almost lowered if you look at it in that point of view. Its more if they want to drink legally or not.

I think they should keep it the same, ONLY because of how immature people can be, but i also think they should lower it to 18. If your an adult at 18, you should be able to drink. But there would be a lot of dumbazzes out there, and would ruin it for everyone else...

Stevie-D
12-19-2004, 05:34 PM
I have to agree with you Tammy. It's a shame that some youngins know that when you turn 18 it's time to grow up and become an adult and others think OH Boy I"m 18 and that's as far as their thought process goes... I moved out at 18 and started to raise myself on my own making $5.50 an hour.

amen:p
i'm 16. for years now i've been supporting myself to some extent. bought my own pickup, even though my parents said i could drive a car of theirs if i wanted. buy my own clothes, gas, insurance, etc, etc, etc... sure i pay no real bills yet, but i'm leaning what the real world is like. i work after school for money for gas and whatever else i need.
i'm planning on going to OTC or UTI after highschool. so many people my age and older are so caught up in what they look like or what people think of them. their mommies and daddy's buy them lexus's and caddilac's when they turn 16.

i'm looking forward to moving out after highschool. i don't want to live with my folks and mooch off of them and others like most of my friends do

sandspanker
12-19-2004, 10:44 PM
:( Who wants a bunch of drunks defending our country. Leave the drinking age alone. I am 30 years old I dont drink ,chew,smoke,ect. I work hard for the toys i have,dont need to waist my green backs on a bottle of stupidity/bravery. I know a lot of alcolholics,howerer you spell it. let the drunks kill them selves less mouths to feed in the world. my two $

RIDER11X
12-19-2004, 11:24 PM

Great idea! That seems fair.;)

Ralph
12-20-2004, 12:42 PM
Originally posted by RIDER11X
Great idea! That seems fair.;)

Um, i think wether its legal or not, kids need to be taught to handle it at alot younger age, like 16. Since they are gonna drink anyways the best way to do it is to teach them to be responsible and safe with it.

Samson
12-20-2004, 01:05 PM
Originally posted by Ralph
Um, i think wether its legal or not, kids need to be taught to handle it at alot younger age, like 16.

You mean like how to stand on one foot and say the alphabet backwards after a 12 pack? :p

Samson
12-20-2004, 01:08 PM
Originally posted by sandspanker
:( Who wants a bunch of drunks defending our country. Leave the drinking age alone. I am 30 years old I dont drink ,chew,smoke,ect. I work hard for the toys i have,dont need to waist my green backs on a bottle of stupidity/bravery. I know a lot of alcolholics,howerer you spell it. let the drunks kill them selves less mouths to feed in the world. my two $

Just because someone drinks it doesn't necessarily make them an alcoholic? Ever heard of moderation? :rolleyes:

chucked
12-20-2004, 01:58 PM
you guys should watch this is you have HBO...
http://www.hbo.com/apps/schedule/ScheduleServlet?ACTION_DETAIL=DETAIL&FOCUS_ID=586089

Theres one guy in there that kept saying "Im not an alcoholic im not an alcoholic..." they asked him how much he drinks he says "6-12 beers a night"

he was 19

Samson
12-20-2004, 02:23 PM
To me an alcoholic is someone who allows drink to negatively affect their job, relationships or well-being. I don't judge people because they sip a couple of cold ones after work. Some people can't handle liquor. And others, you never know when they've been drinking. Depends on the person.

I do not drink everyday. I do not think it's OK. Just saying it doesn't affect everybody the same. And not everybody binge drinks.

angieyes
12-20-2004, 02:25 PM
i don't believe ur mature to die for ur country at 18 let kids be kids
but if the country believes ur old to die while fighting there bullchit battles then they should let u drink

Mxjunkie
12-20-2004, 02:26 PM
AMSTERDAM (Reuters) - More than 80 percent of Dutch children aged between nine and 15 say they have tried alcohol and on average start drinking at the age of 12, according to a survey.

:eek2:

Ralph
12-20-2004, 03:17 PM
the thing about that is that 9 year olds are probably talking about sipping their dads beer and most kids atleast try it freshmen year of high or 1 or 2 years before.

Punk'd
12-20-2004, 03:51 PM
15 it is:p

TheFontMaster
12-20-2004, 03:57 PM
although fighting for the U.S. isnt easy, you make the descision if you go or not. do you really think kids should be drinking that soon? hell i say leave it at 21, and raise the DL up to 18. at 16 most kids dont know how or are mature enough to operate a car even. just to make it fair retest every person with a DL but have a harder test, you will be shocked at the number of people that would fail.

I really dis agree with that. If the driving age is raised to 18 what about kids in college that are 17 or that got a GED and have a job? Or something along those lines.

Now back to the topic. I voted for lowering the drinking age, here like someone else said alot of parent buy thier kids beer, mine don't, but I could get it easily.

Zwanter
12-20-2004, 04:42 PM
i think the age in Cancun is like 15? not real sure though. it may be 16.......but i know its really young.