PDA

View Full Version : Federal Regulation of ATV's

ridered250
12-07-2004, 06:08 AM
Im taking this poll for my speech class

Do you think that there should be federal regulation on the age to ride a quad and a 399cc limit?

muddkitten
12-07-2004, 06:33 AM
the federal government has too much control over our lives as it is. decisions concerning a child should be left solely to the parents.

44oEX
12-07-2004, 06:56 AM
Originally posted by muddkitten
the federal government has too much control over our lives as it is. decisions concerning a child should be left solely to the parents.

I agree

initall
12-07-2004, 07:30 AM
I agree to a point that it is the parents choice, but you also have to consider stupid people. For instance in a previous dirt wheels magazine they had a picture of a little kid 4 yrs old i think doing a trick with no helmet. That is stupid and could be considered child abuse. I think federal laws are need for the stupid parents, trust me they are out there.

Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large numbers.

quadrcr161
12-07-2004, 08:19 AM
Originally posted by muddkitten

maybe if parrents would be parrents, the gov wouldnt have to step in.

edit: also do you think everyone needs a yfz450, a 450r, or a raptor to play in the woods on? that much power with stupid people in the woods is just asking for trouble. i guess a lot of you dont remember when the 250r's were banned and what it was like only having a 250x or 300ex as a sport quad. likei always say, CC's isnt a bragging point your riding ability should be.

n00b on a 400ex
12-07-2004, 08:38 AM
if its under 399cc, then could i still be able to ride by 397ex? seroiusly, its not like anyone cares about ATV laws these days, most of my friend i know who have big-bore sport quads werent 16 when they bought their stuff. the honda dealer even said itd have to be signed under my dad cause i wasnt 16. its the parents fault for screwing things up

sharkinthepool
12-07-2004, 10:00 AM
Wow, that is overwhelming

ridered250
12-07-2004, 01:34 PM
Originally posted by n00b on a 400ex
if its under 399cc, then could i still be able to ride by 397ex? seroiusly, its not like anyone cares about ATV laws these days, most of my friend i know who have big-bore sport quads werent 16 when they bought their stuff. the honda dealer even said itd have to be signed under my dad cause i wasnt 16. its the parents fault for screwing things up

how can you say nobody cares about ATV laws anymore everyone that rides a quad should care about ATV laws i dont think people understand the power the govermnent, the cspc, and enviromental groups have over what you do on a quad and with a quad and if you can even own one i was only a kid when the 250r's first stopped getting sold and the original 10 year ban started so im not sure but i think people probaly thought about the way you did and then look what happened

Jackie
12-07-2004, 02:22 PM
Federal laws like that are for stupid people that have no common sence

chucked
12-07-2004, 02:24 PM
Originally posted by Jackie

thats pretty much all laws...

SRH
12-07-2004, 02:43 PM
i think no one under 14 should be able to ride anything bigger than a 90, then when you turn 14 you can ride a 200cc 2 stroke ie blaster.... oor 300-350 cc 4 stroke but you have to take a safety course then when your 16 you can step up to a full sized quad, i would like none of those stupid rules but as much as id like to think other wise 90% of people riding quads arent responsible and get hurt or killed and them or there parents blame it on the manufactuers, there is no way they can limit it to 399ccs for adults, thats ridiculous

and 250rs never got banned the manfactuers did it on there own to avoid an atv ban until things cooled down, which was like 1999, anyway i doubt barely any of the accidents and stuff you hear about are on sport quads, there all on big utility quads

SRH
12-07-2004, 02:48 PM
Originally posted by Jackie

i truly beleive over half of the united states have no common sense, and instead of just letting nature take its course we drag them along with us....if something says youll die if you do this right on it...and you do it...and you die... wow big suprise... but we just all go awwwwwwwwwwww thats illegal

quadrcr161
12-07-2004, 03:01 PM
i agree, we should let the stupid people kill themselves off. when we have to have a warning like "do not use in shower" on a hair dryer, its getting bad, we just need to let them use it and get it over with. its just now days parrents try to blame everyone else for their mistakes. although its just not parrents, its anyone who thinks they can get a buck ot two.

if a kid gets killed on an atv for trying to do something stupid, dont blame the atv manufacture, blame the kid and the parrents.

the reason i somewhat agree on a diplacement limit on some atv's is mainly the 16yr + people that go and buy a yfz450 or a 450r to jst trail ride, that have never owned one in their life. they should keep making the 450r, yfx and hopefully the z450, but should have a way to limit who buys them.

edit, which it is hard for me to say anything about limiting cc's. i had a built blaster at 12, sold it and picked up a 250r and decked it out all b4 i was 13. granted i only rode on the track and in our fields and my parrents were there with me and trained me.

ridered250
12-07-2004, 03:09 PM
Originally posted by SRH
, there is no way they can limit it to 399ccs for adults, thats ridiculous

and 250rs never got banned the manfactuers did it on there own to avoid an atv ban until things cooled down, which was like 1999, anyway i doubt barely any of the accidents and stuff you hear about are on sport quads, there all on big utility quads

they probaly wont ever be able to limit them to 399cc but that is what the CSPC is pushing for along with rollbars, swaybars, and seat belts(which would make them more dangerous) and i know 250r's didnt get banned i was referring to the age limit when i said ban the no adult size for 16 year olds and absoluely no 3-wheelers

and youre right the majority of accidents probaly arent on sport quads the majority of accidents are people breaking common sense rules like wearing a hemet or not riding double

n00b on a 400ex
12-07-2004, 05:28 PM
Originally posted by SRH
i think no one under 14 should be able to ride anything bigger than a 90, then when you turn 14 you can ride a 200cc 2 stroke ie blaster.... oor 300-350 cc 4 stroke but you have to take a safety course then when your 16 you can step up to a full sized quad, i would like none of those stupid rules but as much as id like to think other wise 90% of people riding quads arent responsible and get hurt or killed and them or there parents blame it on the manufactuers, there is no way they can limit it to 399ccs for adults, thats ridiculous

i see your point in limiting CC's but i find it hard to belive anyone who really wants a high performance quad will be stopped from getting it. i know a 6th grader, probly 12 or 13, he has a z400 with the end cap taken off. what they really should do is offer free or reduced cost safety stuff (helmets, boots, gloves, chest protectors). most pro riders started out with their little 90's at 4 or 5 years old and worked up. its the kids that just take off without a helmet, get a concussion, and were incedentally happening to ride a big-bore quad. i know my helmet and stuff have saved me more then once (besides that time i was wearing shorts and got both my legs gashed open).

SRH
12-07-2004, 06:07 PM
Originally posted by ridered250
they probaly wont ever be able to limit them to 399cc but that is what the CSPC is pushing for along with rollbars, swaybars, and seat belts(which would make them more dangerous) and i know 250r's didnt get banned i was referring to the age limit when i said ban the no adult size for 16 year olds and absoluely no 3-wheelers

and youre right the majority of accidents probaly arent on sport quads the majority of accidents are people breaking common sense rules like wearing a hemet or not riding double

they wont be able to limit it to 399cc, there would be we more serious injuries,internal injuries, and death from roll barsand a sway bar isnt going to do jack.... the cpsc would never be able to pass any of that stuff, the hearings showed atvs themselves arent dangerous so there would be no reason to add all that crap to make them more dangerous..how smart could t hese people be if there pushing for stuff like that:huh

ridered250
12-08-2004, 10:27 AM
like i said before i think all you people that are saying this wont ever happen are underestimating the power of the cspc you may see this as common sense that roll bars sway bars and such wouldnt help but they dont most of them dont ride quads themselves but the make the laws you gotta think whats common sense to you isnt to all they are the same ones that believe a 14 year old 5'5'' 160lb kid will fit on a 90 we understand that it wont work but they dont

alot of people said that they would never be able to force people to wear seatbelts and that forcing them to would be unconstitutional but guess what its a law now

400exdad
12-08-2004, 11:03 AM
Its the CPSC that is to blame why kids are like leppars at local XC races... at least in my area.... kids on quads, if they are not 16, are basically not welcome. Now if a kid rides a bike... no problem. (Smells like BS to me.) It all stems for moronic parents allowing kids to ride quads without training, without safety gear and without supervision! There are parents that actually think that if it has 4 wheels it must be safer.. which is not the case.

As for the idiot kid or adult that trys to clear a huge ravine on a Raptor, or other big cc quad, and offs himself, that is simply the natural elimination process in action. Which of course is awful. :rolleyes:

SRH
12-08-2004, 03:59 PM
Originally posted by 400exdad
Its the CPSC that is to blame why kids are like leppars at local XC races... at least in my area.... kids on quads, if they are not 16, are basically not welcome. Now if a kid rides a bike... no problem. (Smells like BS to me.) It all stems for moronic parents allowing kids to ride quads without training, without safety gear and without supervision! There are parents that actually think that if it has 4 wheels it must be safer.. which is not the case.

As for the idiot kid or adult that trys to clear a huge ravine on a Raptor, or other big cc quad, and offs himself, that is simply the natural elimination process in action. Which of course is awful. :rolleyes:

no people in general show more respect towards a bike than a quad, people tend to think this quad wont tip over etc, and they ride over there head and you can ride a quad harder without having ability on a bike you do that and you find out fast you cant **** around

Samson
12-08-2004, 04:07 PM
Originally posted by SRH i think no one under 14 should be able to ride anything bigger than a 90, then when you turn 14 you can ride a 200cc 2 stroke ie blaster....

Displacement has nothing to do with power. You can mod a 90cc 2-stroke to outrun a stock blaster. If anything, we should have laws that regulate maximum atv speed, physical size and weight in direct correlation to the kid's age, height and weight.

SRH
12-08-2004, 04:11 PM
Originally posted by Samson
Displacement has nothing to do with power. You can mod a 90cc 2-stroke to outrun a stock blaster. If anything, we should have laws that regulate maximum atv speed, physical size and weight in direct correlation to the kid's age, height and weight.

you can also mod a blaster to outrun a stock r, displacement is just to cover are asses because the general public has a better understanding of engine size than horsepower and torque

Samson
12-08-2004, 04:14 PM
Originally posted by SRH
you can also mod a blaster to outrun a stock r, displacement is just to cover are asses because the general public has a better understanding of engine size than horsepower and torque

D@mn, I wish I could argue that! :o

Tommy 17
12-08-2004, 06:31 PM
i swear to god some people are 2 scared to make a decision themselfs... they want the government to regulate ever freakin thing that we do so they won't have to make their own choices... this isn't just quads its everything... its pathedic

people just need to learn to make a freakin decision... if u know u can only handle a 300ex buy it... if u can handle a 660 grizzly buy it... and so on... u don't need the gov to say what u can and can't do...

n00b on a 400ex
12-08-2004, 07:58 PM
blame stupid parents limiting our quads. didnt the govt impose a speed limit for stock machiens to like 77? i know the quadzilla was faster then that

JOEX
12-08-2004, 10:26 PM
Originally posted by Samson
It would be nice to add mental capacity too:)

Samson
12-09-2004, 07:01 AM
Originally posted by JOEX
It would be nice to add mental capacity too:)

If that was the case, I'd still be waiting for my first quad! :o

quadrcr161
12-09-2004, 08:10 AM
Originally posted by Tommy 17

people just need to learn to make a freakin decision... if u know u can only handle a 300ex buy it... if u can handle a 660 grizzly buy it... and so on... u don't need the gov to say what u can and can't do...

that is part of the problem, they dont want to be embarased riding a smaller quad so they go buy the biggest and baddest out there, if they can handle it or not. my next door neighbor, almost 30 yrs old just went out and picked up a raptor, and was thinking of getting a banshee. he hasnt owned a atv ever and had a dirt bike when he was a kid. he would have been fine on a 300ex or a 400ex, but he wanted the fastest, or what he thought was the fastest. withen a month he flipped it down a gas line and broke his collar bone and messed up a few pieces on the raptor.

Samson
12-09-2004, 08:29 AM
My knee's still messed up from trying wheelies and falling off the back of my kids 100! What size would you recommend for me? :D

Destructo
12-09-2004, 09:11 AM
You can still get 250Rs ya know, brand new.... ;)

gratzracing24
12-09-2004, 04:15 PM
I read in a magazine about a kid who flipped a utility on top of him and it was like a 10 yr old kid...he died and they had a thing about the age limit and i think like if u were under 16 u should only be allowed to ride up to a 99cc bike...i mean i can see some regulations but nothing like that

Jackie
12-12-2004, 04:00 PM
something to read?:eek: