PDA

View Full Version : Eating Healthy / Working out

Punk'd
12-06-2004, 10:30 PM
Can some people please give me a couple ideas to get stronger and bigger? What are some good foods and drinks to make you grow and be healthy. Im going to start eating healthyer (sp?) And I have a very good reason and if anyone would like to know you can pm me because I dont want this thread being locked.

Thanks,
Randy..

Narly R
12-06-2004, 10:48 PM
I dont drink pop, or eat any candy or things like that. i try to eat natural foods. I dont eat too healthy, but dont eat all that junk. Running helps, becase then your body craves the things you needs. But I have to stay in shape for ridding. I mainly just ride to stay in shape. But i have always wanted to find a good energy/muscle bulding drink/food.

nosliw
12-06-2004, 10:50 PM
bodybuilding.com

Quad18star
12-06-2004, 10:55 PM
Eat salads and fruit . If you eat any kind of beef , make sure its Lean or grade A . Try to eat stuff made with no animal byproducts . Switch from white bread to whole wheat . Eat lotta bran and healthy cereals . Milk and drinks with low sugars . LOTS of water . But like the first thing i mentioned ... eat lots of fruits and vegies . Have a bowl of bran flakes in the morning with some fruit in it or as a side dish . Stay away from the fast food chit ... if you dont believe me watch the movie Supersize Me . Try to bake foods instead of frying them .

As for the fitness part .... consult a personal trainer at a local gym ( most offer them for free) and get them to set you up a program that fits your needs . Doing too much , too quick will only hurt you instead of helping you get in shape .

I follow a pretty strict diet ( healthy diet) because , like yourself, i have personal health reasons for it .I don't work out right now because of injury ... but do plan on hitting the gym when I'm able to .

bansheeguy77
12-07-2004, 01:00 AM
Originally posted by nosliw
bodybuilding.com

well said. i put so many hours in reading and still feel like i only hit .1% of the articles there. it all depends what your looking for here. do you want 20lbs in a month or do ya want toned and stamina. the main thing for muscle is protein. surprised nobody mentioned it yet. def go with whey because it is the fastest acting and best for building mass. also go with creatine that stuff works. both are cheap and dont taste bad at all. protein they recomend 1gram per pound of body weight. and creatine around 15-30 grams a day. i usually take one of both sometime a few hours before lifting, right after lifting and right before bed. another main thing for building is sleep. ya need atleast 9 hrs of sleep. dont go die hard at hte gym and only sleep 5 hrs your results will be 20% of what they should be. and like they said basically cut out junk food, fast food is a no no, and heres a thing that worked for me. replace soda with protein shakes. sugar for the most part isnt good. however, it is good to take with creatine. like mix it with juice because it is sticky and will go to ur muscles faster. thats the main time there. what you consume within a half hr after lifting is the most critical. that is when your body is in need of its nutrients it just used.
so dont hit it too hard at first or you will quit. just start out very basic and work up to it.
and its ok if ya cant get any and need to gain muscle to get a chick :p

YLW400
12-07-2004, 06:38 AM
I'm a personal trainer, but not for free like Quad said!:p :D

stocktires
12-07-2004, 09:33 PM
Greg and bansheeguy know what they're talking about.
-Take a good multi-vitamin (gnc's is actually very good)
-Drink a gallon of water a day
-Eat natual foods
-everything in moderation

Destructo
12-07-2004, 10:16 PM
I just picked up a weight machine for free, plus I have a complete set of olympic style weight set.

I do light weight lots of reps to lose weight and tone my muscles.

and wow, a gallon a day of water huh? i'm gonna be pissing the day away...

derekhonda
12-07-2004, 11:07 PM
it keeps your body clean of toxins, one of my friends went on a water salad diet and lost 60 pounds in about 4 months, all while running about 10 miles a week. Not bad, but he lost a good bit of muscle. He took an extreme, but he wanted to loose weight. If you want to bulk up and stay in shape just eat good foods and work out, there is nothing really magic about it youll have to work.

bansheeguy77
12-08-2004, 01:47 AM
Originally posted by derekhonda
it keeps your body clean of toxins, one of my friends went on a water salad diet and lost 60 pounds in about 4 months, all while running about 10 miles a week. Not bad, but he lost a good bit of muscle. He took an extreme, but he wanted to loose weight. If you want to bulk up and stay in shape just eat good foods and work out, there is nothing really magic about it youll have to work.

yeah salad is good and all...but if mass is your goal alot of salad isnt a good idea. but for losing weight its great

WhiteZee
12-09-2004, 05:41 PM
http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/stella9.htm

Big400EX
12-09-2004, 05:45 PM
If you wana get big, you gotta eat a lot. Try to eat foods with a high amount of proteins and if you have a fast metabolism try to eat a lot of calories in one day.

www.thepumpingstation.com

Look for teen bodybuilding.

250xridamatt
12-09-2004, 06:49 PM
I heard creatine has a lot of side effects. We were talking about it in biology a couple weeks ago. I work out at school 2 days a week, and do push-ups and situps and stuff like that every night. I can tell a big difference. I went with no pop the entire soccer season which was a big stretch for me. I used to have pop non stop. Gatorade is what i stick to. Im not a huge water fan, so i try to find a median.

I am finding a big difference in muscle with just small amounts of work. I have gained about 5-7 pounds already. I have 6 more months until soccer season starts again to keep working. You kind of get sick of getting knocked over and banged up every time u get in the air for a ball.

It all really depends on what u want to do. I didnt change my diet at all, and i still notice a difference. If i had more time i could really get in the gym and bulk up fast. But for a kid just wanting to gain a little weight and get some muscle mass. Plus why not impress the chicks while your at it?

kssandduner
12-09-2004, 07:41 PM
I heard creatine has a lot of side effects. We were talking about it in biology a couple weeks ago
What kind of stuff have you heard?? I take protein, creatine, and weight gainer, all NDS products cause it tastes the best IMO. All the stuff works, but you have to be dedicated and put forth the effort, cause you won't get big JUST by drinking protein shakes.

Joe

250xridamatt
12-09-2004, 07:57 PM
I cant remember what the effects are. I will ask my teacher tomorrow at school then ill reply again.

stocktires
12-10-2004, 08:07 PM
Creatine is not bad. UNLESS you dont drink enough water, then it will tear your liver up. Same way with lots of protein.

nosliw
12-10-2004, 08:25 PM
Originally posted by 250xridamatt
I cant remember what the effects are. I will ask my teacher tomorrow at school then ill reply again.

seeing on how creatine is only a protein i don't think it will do that much harm :rolleyes:

i hate this misunderstanding of it. i was watching to discovery channel on powerlifting or something and it was talking about the side effects of hardcore steroids and oil injections and stuff and they showed a shelf of them and it had creatine on it.

the only thing creatine will do to you sideeffect-wise is if your not hydrated enough. then it can cause cramps in your muscles.

all it does it basically makes your muscles look bigger by pumping them with water, and also givesyou more energy for more intense workouts.

read up newb
bodybuilding.com

bansheeguy77
12-10-2004, 09:06 PM
Originally posted by nosliw
seeing on how creatine is only a protein i don't think it will do that much harm :rolleyes:

i hate this misunderstanding of it. i was watching to discovery channel on powerlifting or something and it was talking about the side effects of hardcore steroids and oil injections and stuff and they showed a shelf of them and it had creatine on it.

the only thing creatine will do to you sideeffect-wise is if your not hydrated enough. then it can cause cramps in your muscles.

all it does it basically makes your muscles look bigger by pumping them with water, and also givesyou more energy for more intense workouts.

read up newb
bodybuilding.com

well said. i hate misunderstood people who know nothing about the subject trying to persuade others to believe the misguided facts of theirs. creatine is a naturally occuring substance in your body. your just helping add to it. so tell your teacher they are a moron for trying to guide children in the wrong direction.
and he was right take a few different suppliments not just one when working out. you can lift and lift til ur blue in the face and take no suppliments while somebody who takes them will see much much more results than you. your damaging and tearing your muscles by lifting...then your body rebuilds them. creatine, protein and others help rebuild much faster and thus faster and better results and less soreness from you. its like having famer john build your house or 200 architects and pro builders...
and yes if you are not hydrated enough you will cramp up and and feel dehydrated...but when working your body you should get plenty of good fluids into yourself so there is no prob there.

and one more thing. dont go overtraining. that is one of hte worst things ya can do. its a waste because once your body uses all the good nutrients it has in it while you are lifting it has none...and you continue to overtrain its a waste and just hurts you in the long run. so dont go killing yourself. know what your doing and you will be fine.

Nausty
12-10-2004, 10:22 PM
how to lose fat:
no junk food (doritos, pizza, ect, ect)
drink lots and lots of water and nothing else unless its healthy
eat a lot of small meals, biggest in the morning to smallest at night
run forrest run!

Get big!
Hit the weight room and eat a lot of food with protein, especially after lifting.

All in all, there really isn't any shortcuts besides hard work! It takes a lifestyle change and don't expect to get built over night.
It took me about 2 years+ to get in shape. I used to be the one of fattest slowest mf'er in my class. Now I can at least keep up with all the people who have been working out and playing sports since they were lil kids.

Lifting kicks ***, our school just got a new weight room. Decked out, and top of line. So many nice new machines. We got neck machines, leg presses, and tons of other equipment and we are only a 1a school.:D I can't wait to get on a full workout plan again and gain back all the results I lost over the past few months. (no weight room, football)

Rdhanded2
12-11-2004, 10:39 AM
Eating right is the #1 thing, and it is the hardest to do. That is where I struggle. Water is the magic elixer(sp). Drinking lots of water, and thats it, will help you shed pounds quick. Lay off the soda. When I quit drinking it I lost 20 pounds. I lift 4 days a week, and do cardio 2. The best protein drink I have found on the market is called Nectar. I like it because it completely dissolves, and is the consistancy of water. I can not stand to drink something that is the consistancy of cake batter, and sadly most products are like that. I use the lemonade flavor and love it. I cycle between GNC's ultra mega gold vitamins and Animal Pac. Animal pac is a great multi-vitamin because it also includes the enzimes that help digest proteins. The body can only naturally digest 40 grams of protein per hour, so when you drink your shake after a workout, and eat a steak or whatever, you are waisting a lot of the proteins without the extra enzimes to help break it down. Don't buy suppliment at GNC unless you have too. The only thing I buy from there is ultra mega gold vitamins. That store is way too high. Look around online. Most products you buy at GNC can be bought online for 50% less or more.

If you are 18 or younger, you should not be power lifting either. It is horrible for you joints and bones. You are still growing, and it can have horrible results on ytour body later in life. If a coach or somebody tells you otherwise, they are wrong. I am not saying don't lift, but be smart about it. If you are 14, you shouldn't bench 250. It is just a fact of life! Be smart and be safe and it is a lot of fun. I look forward to going to the gym everytime I go. Set small goals, and reward yourself. That is the key. If you weigh 175, and bench 200, your goal should not be 350! That is not a realistic goal off the bat. Get a routine, set a goal like 225, and work towards it. I have seen so many people quit going because they don't see HUGE results in 2 week. It takes time and effort, but a lot of people don't want to put that in and still think they will get results. Unless you are on roids, it is not going to happen. Well, I got on my soap box here, so I quess I should quit. This is just my $.02, so take it or leave it, but PM me if anyone wants some good workouts. I have an awesome bench routine that takes about 2 months for the whole cycle. I got a lot of results!

bansheeguy77
12-11-2004, 11:22 AM
what is your magic bench routine? i have one myself but always like hearing new ones. and what were the results?
last school year i set a goal of benching 300 by the time i graduate. i only hit 275....which was my actual goal but wanted to push myself to exceed the goal.
i have a great great arm program. no lie i put on a little over a half an inch in 3 workouts. you look like a wimp doing it and cant move your arms after but the results are gold

nosliw
12-11-2004, 11:30 AM
oh man i've got a magic everything routine, might as well post it-

monday

chest, triceps, shoulders

chest-

3X5-7 flat bar bench press
3X5-7 incline dumbbell bench press

triceps-

3X6-8 close-grip bench press
2X6-8 dips

shoulders-

4X6-8 side raises with dumbbells
3X6-8 bent over side raises with dumbbells
2X6-8 front raises with dumbbells

wednesday-

back, biceps, forearms

back-

4X5-7 deadlifts
3X6-8 weighted pullups
3X6-8 bentover barbell rows

biceps-

3X6-8 dumbbell curls
2X5-7 barbell curls

forearms-

3X8-12 front flexes
3X8-12 rear flexes
2X3 holding huge *** loaded barbell until i have to drop it

friday-

leg day :devil:

4X5-7 squats
4X5-7 front squats
4X6-8 stiff legged deadlifts
4X6-8 hamstring curls
5X8-12 calf raises

thats it. hope it helps someone

Jersey450R
12-11-2004, 11:32 AM
I have been bodybuilding for 9 years and this is what time and 7 months of strict strict diet, cardio and lifting got me 2 years ago:

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid147/pfb105974a00fc9556755bbd5061f837c/f6263b35.jpg

6% body fat and 177 pounds.

Jersey450R
12-11-2004, 11:33 AM
after 4 years...

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid147/p0ffe486b990b497e01b72d6ca4aca2a4/f6263b41.jpg

Nausty
12-12-2004, 02:37 PM
holy **** jersey! Nice results! I'm sure that wasn't easy and took a lot of time.

Jersey450R
12-12-2004, 03:04 PM
Originally posted by Nausty
holy **** jersey! Nice results! I'm sure that wasn't easy and took a lot of time.
It took a lifetime man, thank you. mad time...mad-time.

FasstMidnightZ
12-12-2004, 03:06 PM
i eat like crazy and i never get fat or anything i work out though......mmmm i just got done with a large pizza

watts16
12-12-2004, 03:46 PM
Originally posted by hondaexrider
i eat like crazy and i never get fat or anything i work out though......mmmm i just got done with a large pizza

yeah you lucky

Rdhanded2
12-14-2004, 02:08 PM
let me find my bench routine paperwork, and I will post it. I half to find the paper, becauser it tells you exactly what weight to do on bench days.

xsr_racing28c
12-14-2004, 04:51 PM
The key to keeping fit is to stay true to it!! If you say your gonna go on a diet , you have to go on a diet and stay on a diet, cuz once you get off, you are gonna gain more weight than what you lost, cuz your body will get used to healthy foods, and once you switch to fatty foods, you will be more suseptable to gaining large amounts of weight.

as for body building, i would say to start off slow, and just get into the motion of doing each type of excercise before you go all out. I believe that if you are looking to get into shape, you should do many reps at a wieght that is not overbearing, and do it many sets.

I have always been big into lifting until a year and a half ago when i rolled my quad on the road doing 65 mph.. i tore 5 nerves from my neck and wrecked my shoulder..Also have 2 buldging discs in my back due to the accident., i couldn't lift my right arm at all until March of this year..

bout a month ago i started to lift again, and have been doing so since. i am now gaining alot back , and am becoming more confident in doing more weight.. Just last night i maxxed out at bench at the highest i have ever done at 330# once,and 320# twice..
it takes time, but once your where you want to be , it's all worth it!!!

YLW400
12-15-2004, 08:19 AM
Rdhanded, just because the weights you are posting are good for you, doesn't mean they are going to be good for someone else dude....

Rdhanded2
12-15-2004, 09:41 AM
That is exactly right. Like I stated, it worked for me, so if you want to give it a try, then go for it. If not, then don't. I have received several pm's asking for the workout, so I responded in here to save time. Did someone wake up a little grumpy?

YLW400
12-15-2004, 09:52 AM
It seemed like you wanted him to do the same weight you were..maybe I misread it.. No need to get your panties in a bunch :eek: :D

Rdhanded2
12-15-2004, 10:26 AM
The reason I liked the routine is because you find your max, then it gives you a chart that tells you exactly what weight to do on your bench days. I had a ton of gains off this routine, and exeryone else I have talked to have as well. The only complaint I have is it seems too easy. The workout are short, but they work.

YLW400
12-15-2004, 10:31 AM
oh the chart with %ages of your max? from like 20%-100%? I gotcha.

Rdhanded2
12-15-2004, 02:39 PM
The routine is called the Shawn Phillips Bench Routine.

Bench Routine overview (http://www.geocities.com/~slopitch/mm2k/bench2text.htm)

Progression Table 1 (http://www.geocities.com/~slopitch/mm2k/tab1.pdf)

Progression Table 2 (http://www.geocities.com/~slopitch/mm2k/tab2.pdf)

Worksheet (http://www.geocities.com/~slopitch/mm2k/wosheet.pdf)

kane71270
12-15-2004, 07:47 PM
Ok, I really am not a big builder or anything...just a normal high schooler 17 year old....I will tell you what happened to me...ok so Long story short...I started having skin(med) prollems.....I find out I am allergic to milk and peanuts...So naturally when i find that out...EVERY THING CHANGED I MEAN EVERYTHING...Not only did i stop drinking milk and peanuts but i gave up the CARBINATION....Now I found that the easiest thing to take down in the morning is ORANGE JUICE...Its healthy too...But I drank lots of water too...Allergic to nuts I dont eat fast food due to peanut oil....MAN WHAT A DIFF....Even when you change your diet with out doin the work out you will feel so much better.....I mean Attitude and all....Not to mention.....if its a girl prob....Eating right will make your skin and all that stuff better too.....GO FOR IT.....IF ITS A DIET CHANGE YOU WANT THEN YOU HAVE TO STICK WITH IT......OR EVERYTHING WILL COME BACK...ITS HARD AT FIRST BUT IT WILL BECOME ROUTINE...It depends on how bad you want it.......
kane