PDA

View Full Version : 400 EX HMF pipe

Cool Honda Man
12-06-2004, 05:49 PM
-k- i know that all you guys are probably getting tired of me asking questions about these exhaust pipes, but i want to make the right decision the first time. Is it worth my extra $$$ to buy the header pipe or should i just keep saving and buy the full system. Also has anyone seen the powdercoated red canister? How does it look on a Red ex?

Thanks!

muddy400EX
12-06-2004, 05:57 PM
i just got an aluminum HMF slip-on on my 400 and it looks, sounds, and performs great. unless your planning on doing motor work youll be fine with the slip-on. i love mine:D and the red looks pretty good on red 400's but i think the aluminum looks a lil better.

TC426EX
12-06-2004, 09:14 PM
Get it with the header man. If you ever decide to upgrade your motor at all then youll regret not having the full system when you gotta sell your slip on to get one after all. Plus the 400ex stock motor still runs great with the full exhaust. I really reccomend you get the full system if you got the cash...

Cool Honda Man
12-06-2004, 09:37 PM
thanks for the info. I am still in high school and dont have much $$$ to do stuff to my ex so i dont plan on doing much engine work till the motor blows or I start rollling in the dough. now, considering this fact.... slip on or full system?

nosliw
12-06-2004, 09:55 PM
Originally posted by Cool Honda Man
thanks for the info. I am still in high school and dont have much $$$ to do stuff to my ex so i dont plan on doing much engine work till the motor blows or I start rollling in the dough. now, considering this fact.... slip on or full system?

slip on, definately. why the hell have 'just in case' factor when your still in school and don't plan on expensive motor mods?

my opinion anyway, i'm still a junior in highschool and was in your same position.

sampleez
12-06-2004, 09:58 PM
my buddy has the same motorwork as mine and the full system and i couldn't tell a difference

LazeR
12-06-2004, 09:58 PM
Well i went with just the slip-on i am very happy with it, but i am planning on getting a cam soon which is one of the cheaper mods i can do, and i hear it makes a bigger difference with a headpipe so i wish in a way i had gotten the head pipe! But i think im just going to get an FMF Powerbomb! Even if you dont get the HMF headpipe now, you could send in your slip-on and get it setup for full, or just got with a headpipe like a Powerbomb

cals400ex
12-07-2004, 12:04 AM
i an not telling you what to do but i would go for the full system. my buddy switched from a white brothers R4 slip on to a full HMF and he had a huge power gain. however, this is on a 10:1 406 with a hotcam. i would say the pipe switch gave him nearly as much as the cam and piston did in the first place. i realize this is on a slightly built motor, but it is nothing too drastic.

Cool Honda Man
12-07-2004, 03:09 PM
How about their jet recommendations? I live at about 4000 feet and i want to know if i want to buy their jets or buy them at my local honda shop.

cals400ex
12-07-2004, 08:17 PM
i say their jetting specs are off by a ways. others will tend to disagree. i would by the jets at a shop, not from them.

Cool Honda Man
12-11-2004, 09:06 AM
I am trying to decide on whether i should get a jet kit or just buy single jets. I really dont change altitudes that much so i dont think i will need to change my jets very often. I have researched about different jet kits, do they live up to their claim of giving you up to 8% more hp?

meanyellow03ex
12-11-2004, 08:53 PM
Don't get a jet kit. Just experiment with individual jets.