PDA

View Full Version : yamaha grizzley 660

4punksdad
04-21-2002, 04:49 AM
my buddy got a grizz 660 just to play on. he has a raptor too. anyway, I liked the bike for the most part until he took it into deep water. once the belt got wet, that damn thing wouldn't move. he was going along fine, then it just stopped! we had to drain the belt case before it would move again. good thing we had another machine there with a winch to pull him out.
kinda funny how it only took 30 seconds for the water to get in the case, yet it took us 15 minutes to get the water back out. Poor design yamaha...........I know they can do better than that.

400exBro
04-21-2002, 10:39 AM
I would really say that...
We are talking yamaha, they level of intelligance isn't as high as honda's:D .
J/k sure yamaha might have their flaws, but who doesn't, we are all human beings and no one is perfect, just send yamaha a complaint and if there is enough they might fix the problem.
Bro

RideRed04
04-21-2002, 02:59 PM
Yeah, the grizzly doesnt have the best track record for water, shame for a 4x4. This is the first I have heard of them having slipping belts. If he has taken off the clutch cover, did he put on a new seal? You have to do that every time because it gets a groove in it and it is almost impossible to get the cover back into the groove (that is how the polaris' are, I dont know if yamaha uses the same system or not)

4punksdad
04-21-2002, 06:12 PM
Originally posted by RideRed04
Yeah, the grizzly doesnt have the best track record for water, shame for a 4x4. This is the first I have heard of them having slipping belts. If he has taken off the clutch cover, did he put on a new seal? You have to do that every time because it gets a groove in it and it is almost impossible to get the cover back into the groove (that is how the polaris' are, I dont know if yamaha uses the same system or not)

this is the second grizz I have seen slip the belt in water, and only the 3rd one I have ever ridden with. the last one wouldn't climb a small hill to get back out of the stream, but at least it still moved. it was an older grizz.........before the 600cc model I think.

anyway, the grizz I originally posted about is nearly brand new. I doubt it has 8 hrs on the engine. the clutch cover has never been removed. its a weak design. even the drain plug location blows. its tucked away behind the running board.........a guy with fat fingers would not be able to get to it.

RideRed04
04-21-2002, 06:42 PM
Wow, that is nuts. What is with yamaha? I dont understand where their reliability record comes from. Yamaha owners maybe? I have ridden the 600 grizzlies before, and was very unimpressed with them. didnt seem to have the balls of a magnum 500, and a very weird seating arrangement. One thing you have to do with belt drives is ease into the water, then you can hit it. I have seen guys go into water balls to the walls, and then get the tranny wet and sit, while I would ease in and then speed up and go through without a trouble. They require a different riding style then a manual quad.

04-21-2002, 08:22 PM
according to dirtwheels if you splash around in the water steam from water hittng the motor will og the engine due to poor snorkal placement

Guy400
04-22-2002, 02:41 PM
You know the really amazing part? This is the same company that brought us the R1, R6, YZ250, YZ125, YZF250, YZ426 and Banshee. The only thing I can think of is that the quad portion of their R&D is seperate from the one that makes the kick ***** bikes.

4punksdad
04-22-2002, 07:03 PM
Originally posted by GuyLT250R
You know the really amazing part? This is the same company that brought us the R1, R6, YZ250, YZ125, YZF250, YZ426 and Banshee. The only thing I can think of is that the quad portion of their R&D is seperate from the one that makes the kick ***** bikes.

lets not forget the legendary rubber smokin V-max

zoom11
04-24-2002, 01:30 PM
well **** even if there is a down side to that bike there is to every bike!the 660 is one awsome bike.my uncle has one and rides wheelies aslong as my friend on his blaster.ya my uncle is on big dude but i rode it and it is one sweet *** bike!:)

Wheelie
04-24-2002, 04:21 PM
I wouldn't be surprised if Yamaha's ATV R&D area is the back parking lot. They make good machines, but it seems like every ATV they've released lately has some serious flaws.

Tommy 17
04-24-2002, 08:26 PM
i had the old 600 and the belt never slipped... but that was the least of my problems... the rear brakes needed adjusted conastantly... it rolled over extremly easy... the air box was a piss poor design and leaked extremely easy... etc... i could go on and on...

also yammy has to make some of the worst dirtbikes i know of... the yzs are not all they are cracked up to be... they show premature clutch wear... the suspension blows seals alot and the problems keepin goin... i have had alot of yammys in my town and just about everyone has had major problems... i can list them if u want but i don't feel like typeing right now...

the only thing yammy i like is the street bikes... my friend just got a all black r1 and its scary fast!!!!

Castor-426ex
04-24-2002, 10:49 PM
A guy I work with has a 2002 honda 500 rubicon, his cousin just bought the new 660 grizzly....so I talked them into drag racing...the honda smoked it bad on take off...but the 660 had a little more top end.....by the way does anyone know a site tat sells stuff for the rubicon..like big bore kits..ect??

RideRed04
04-28-2002, 08:15 PM
I think micky dunlap (fst) can hook you up. go to www.fourstroketech.com

05-06-2002, 06:09 PM
the 660 has to be better than the old 600. i have seen them let water and MUD in!! when the water was drained the mud dried and kept the cvt from working right . poor guy had to limp it almost 50 miles doing 15 mph at 3/4 throttle and over heating if he gave it any more gas.

as for polaris i have rode an old 425 magnum through a swollen river in water up to the fenders and not had it skip a beat. what gives? i thought quads were suposed to improve as the new models came out?:confused: