PDA

View Full Version : Shock confusion

mental1
04-21-2002, 12:19 AM
I'm looking into aftermarket suspension of some sort, I'm just confused about all this adjust compression and rebound stuff. I am also trying to decide on Aarms (long travel or just +2wider) and which companies arms I should go with.
Any help?

Leo
04-21-2002, 05:07 AM
do you want something for trail riding? X-country racing? Motocross?

Leo

Dave400ex
04-21-2002, 10:15 AM
Well tell us what you Ride. I know if you get the Standard Travel Shocks you don`t want to get Rebound Adjust.

Foxrage
04-21-2002, 04:28 PM
Houser laeger and herrmann are all good brands for a-arms. For shocks elka axis pep are some good ones but we cant do much till you tell us what kind of riding you do.

mental1
04-21-2002, 09:29 PM
Good call, I ride alot of whooped out trails, nothing through tight woods and I think I might start racing mx, and jumping common, but with the stock set up landings are sometimes on the harsh side so nothing big yet, and the rear gets a little uncontrolable at speed through any bumpy section.

Leo
04-22-2002, 05:14 AM
slap some +2's and your choice of shocks on and let 'er rip...

long travel arms and shocks are no doubt great, but also very $$...

I guess it depends a lot on how much your willing to spend!

I went with +1's (mostly trail ride) and Elka compression adjustable piggyback's w/ ssd for the front.. I was trying to find the best compromise between performance, and affordability! Waiting for the shocks to arrive (hopefully this week) and then I'll let you know if it was worth it!

Leo

mental1
04-22-2002, 10:48 AM
I was thinking about getting +2 Houser Aarms and either Elka or Works shocks and getting the rear rebuilt either by Elka or TCS. But I found a package deal somewhere for Burgard arms a Lonestar axle and Works triple rates I'm just sort of working on figuring out the price difference between one way or the other. But if I get the rear shock rebuilt and then later on I decide to get a slightly longer swing arm would I need to get the shock redone again or not.

04-22-2002, 01:53 PM
Originally posted by mental1
But if I get the rear shock rebuilt and then later on I decide to get a slightly longer swing arm would I need to get the shock redone again or not.

No you won't need it redone..