PDA

View Full Version : head gasket

knelson
12-06-2004, 12:13 PM
I ordered a topend gasket kit from cometic gasket for my 426, the guy said that the head gasket is the same part number as the xr's,whats the deal with that?he said that he has thicker gaskets for both but not any thinner than what he is sending me,which is fine b/c I wanted thin anyway. Also they are for a 440 bore?I guess they don't have a specific 426cc gasket,will it be ok?one last thing will it be the flex steel one that every one says use? thank you

enduro400rider
12-06-2004, 03:50 PM
the xr400 motor is basicly the same motor in a 400ex the xr gaskets are suposed to be a little stronger and they raise you compression a little bit to

cals400ex
12-06-2004, 03:53 PM
i know they make a different one for larger bores. you can use a stock one if you want though. i would call C&D up and get one from them if you have any questions. i know cosmetic makes a thin and thicker one. i have been told the thin one is actually a bit thinner than the xr gasket, but i really can't promise you that.

mojoe2878
12-06-2004, 06:40 PM
Originally posted by knelson
I ordered a topend gasket kit from cometic gasket for my 426, the guy said that the head gasket is the same part number as the xr's,whats the deal with that?he said that he has thicker gaskets for both but not any thinner than what he is sending me,which is fine b/c I wanted thin anyway. Also they are for a 440 bore?I guess they don't have a specific 426cc gasket,will it be ok?one last thing will it be the flex steel one that every one says use? thank you
the one they send you will more than likely be the flex steel one.

TC426EX
12-06-2004, 09:11 PM
yeah, you should be able to order a head gasket for an 88mm bore (426). I did from Nacs Racing. You can use a stock head gasket since the piston doesnt actually go through there but I was always iffy about using a stocker on my 426. The one I have in there now is a flexsteel gasket that Baldwins machined out to 88mm for me.