PDA

View Full Version : Give me some clutch lever expertise!

1stR
12-06-2004, 10:57 AM
I have an 88 R and want to replace the clutch and brake levers. I wanted to have them both polished but I can only find black brake levers from Motion Pro. Also I want a shorter MX style clutch lever. Can I buy a clutch perch and lever from any honda mx bike such as the CR 125??

Thanks

xlr810
12-06-2004, 03:23 PM
That will work. The CR levers are a common swap on an R. Some have clearance issues with the stock headlight switch. Early CR250R levers clear it for sure. ASR, Wirtz, and RTC make some decent clutch and brake levers. Some of the brake levers are also adjustable for reach.

pharit
12-06-2004, 05:37 PM
if you got the patience you can polish them your self. with some fine sand paper and finish it off with some 3000 grit wet sanding. that you'll give it a mirror shine.

But i like my MSR E-Z lever on my 88

beerock
12-06-2004, 07:49 PM
Listen here, buy a RTC clutch perch and lever, the clutch pull is easier then a magura hydraulic.

do you have the 89 update? that helps too!!

1stR
12-07-2004, 09:16 AM
I already have a CR125 clutch perch and lever on order, I am going to try it and see how it fits/works etc. How hard is it to strip the black paint off of a new brake lever? I would assume that would be alot of sanding for such a small piece?

JTRtrx250r
12-07-2004, 09:59 AM
I run a CR250 lever, dont see how its any diffrent than my 125's so it should work fine

XANDADA
12-07-2004, 10:42 AM
Originally posted by beerock
Listen here, buy a RTC clutch perch and lever, the clutch pull is easier then a magura hydraulic.

do you have the 89 update? that helps too!!
Si, si amigo :bandit:

Rich250RRacer
12-07-2004, 01:29 PM
If you run a CR perch and lever, be sure to order a Motion-pro cable to go along with it. If you use a stock Honda cable, you won't have enough adjustment. That cable is designed for use with the wide perch with all the parking brake crap on it. For some reason the Motion-pro for a 250r is shorter. I've tried brand new Honda cables and had this problem. There are two part numbers for the cable, but the first one (22870-hb9-000) MAY work but it has been discontinued by Honda, I have never been able to find one anywhere to try. It is the second cable (22870-kr0-000) that all the dealers stock, and it will not work unless you drill a new hole (farther back) on the bracket that mounts to the case. Doing this would give you enough adjustment.

1stR
12-08-2004, 01:39 PM
what exactly do you mean by enough adjustment? Do you mean the clutch won't fully disengage? The lever I bought is made by MSR, but is for a CR 125. Would this help me out any? Maybe there is more adjustment?

JTRtrx250r
12-08-2004, 01:59 PM
Originally posted by Rich250RRacer
If you run a CR perch and lever, be sure to order a Motion-pro cable to go along with it. If you use a stock Honda cable, you won't have enough adjustment. That cable is designed for use with the wide perch with all the parking brake crap on it. For some reason the Motion-pro for a 250r is shorter. I've tried brand new Honda cables and had this problem. There are two part numbers for the cable, but the first one (22870-hb9-000) MAY work but it has been discontinued by Honda, I have never been able to find one anywhere to try. It is the second cable (22870-kr0-000) that all the dealers stock, and it will not work unless you drill a new hole (farther back) on the bracket that mounts to the case. Doing this would give you enough adjustment. I understand exactly waht you are sayin'...but if you just swap out the adjuster on the perch itself its good to go(providing you have the cr perch also)(some adjusters are longer and some shorter wether brass or aluminum), Ive run about 3 or 4 diffrent setups w/ the stock cable and thats the only thing Ive had to do

1stR
12-08-2004, 02:20 PM
Are all the adjustments screws universal? I haven't had a chance to even try my new set up to see if it works, hopefully the MSR clutch perch will give me enough adjustment. How do you know if you don't have enough adjustment? Will the bike lurch forward when you put it in gear?

JTRtrx250r
12-08-2004, 08:13 PM
It will lunge or just slip, depending on how its adjusted so just be careful and adjust it accordingly

you also have the lower adjuster on the case, so taht might help take up any slack

JTRtrx250r
12-08-2004, 08:15 PM
Just checked for ya and if its the MSR adjustable unit...the cr lever will NOT fit the MSR perch, just get a cheap Sunline perch or something and your good to go

1stR
12-09-2004, 09:03 AM
I don't have the MSR adjustable, it is an MSR perch specifically for a cr 125 so I hope the lever should fit.

So the lower adjustment will in essence "shorten" the cable if adjusted correctly just like the adjuster on the perch itself?

JTRtrx250r
12-09-2004, 09:31 AM
yep...to a point, but you wanna be sure the perch adjustment does most of the "work"

You should be fine w/ that perch and lever. I swapped my cr 125 perch/lever to my R (before I got sick of swapping back and just got another set up) and its what made me go w/ that setup on mine, I just like the feel....well that and I cant justify spending alot on my perch /levers , some are just expen$ive:huh :blah:

ZRider400
12-09-2004, 12:57 PM
like stated earlier

go with RTC they kick ***. i had them on my 250r and now have them on my 450r.

i polished mine...they turned out sick.
http://predator.bikepics.com/pics/suzuki-drz400-02-bikepics-253585.jpg

beerock
12-09-2004, 07:26 PM
actually the best set up for the R is s sunline billit perch and a rtc lever

heres a pic, the sunline has more adjustment then any lever on the market, and you can use a oem clutch cable..

JTRtrx250r
12-09-2004, 08:19 PM
I didnt know they had a billet perch, definitly looks stouter than the units Im used to seein' haha

beerock
12-16-2004, 10:46 PM
yea it has about double the adjustment of any clutch perch on the market

nacs400ex
12-22-2004, 03:07 PM
I would recommend an ASV lever to anyone! They are supposedly an unbreakable lever. Even if it were to break, it wouldnt matter because there is a 5-year warrenty. Plus they look way better then those RTC levers:devil:

http://asvinventions.com/images/f3clutch.jpg

http://asvinventions.com/images/f3proclutch.jpg

beerock
12-22-2004, 06:54 PM
I hate to be a ***** but I have to back up the rtc levers. The levers have the EASIEST clutch pull on the market. the rtc is about 30 bux the asv is 90 for another 50-60 bux you can get handgaurds and never break the rtc clutch/brake lever.

this is just my opinion, but they do have the best/easiest clutch pull.

SixthFloorFreak
12-22-2004, 10:06 PM
i have an RTC lever on my R, and i can't pull it very well at all. its not the strength in my hands....could it be the perch maybe?

beerock
12-22-2004, 10:48 PM
Originally posted by SixthFloorFreak
i have an RTC lever on my R, and i can't pull it very well at all. its not the strength in my hands....could it be the perch maybe?
are you using the second position on the rtc lever? maybe your cable is shot?

nacs400ex
12-23-2004, 10:09 AM
I hate to be a ***** but I have to back up the rtc levers. The levers have the EASIEST clutch pull on the market. the rtc is about 30 bux the asv is 90 for another 50-60 bux you can get handgaurds and never break the rtc clutch/brake lever.

this is just my opinion, but they do have the best/easiest clutch pull.

I can see what you mean, but I switched over from an RTC, and I will not go back. Especially when I got both clutch and brake lever for $100CDN. To me the ASV's are a hell of a lot beefier too. They have adjustable settings if you have large, medium or small hands. Their just crazy levers.

Live2Ride300
12-28-2004, 08:04 AM
RTC:D

SixthFloorFreak
12-29-2004, 12:48 PM
has anybody tried a hydraulic clutch on their R?

beerock
12-29-2004, 06:32 PM

my friends have them and the rtc is a softer pull, also yourisk leaking fluid and loosing all clutch if those hydraulics leak.

SixthFloorFreak
12-29-2004, 11:38 PM
my friends have them and the rtc is a softer pull, also yourisk leaking fluid and loosing all clutch if those hydraulics leak.

you mentioned earlier about the second position on the RTC lever...well, i switched the little cable end into the other position on my lever tonight, and it made a world of difference. i don't really see how, but it did. also discovered that my cable is a little grimed up...gonna try lubing it tomorrow, see if i can clean it out some, but you've already helped me tremendously...thanks

:D

beerock
12-30-2004, 06:19 AM
you mentioned earlier about the second position on the RTC lever...well, i switched the little cable end into the other position on my lever tonight, and it made a world of difference. i don't really see how, but it did. also discovered that my cable is a little grimed up...gonna try lubing it tomorrow, see if i can clean it out some, but you've already helped me tremendously...thanks

:D

the rtc changes the leverage ratio when you use the second position on the lever

;)

Rich250RRacer
12-30-2004, 05:06 PM

I've run a Magura on my GNCC quad for almost three years and have never had a problem with it. It is one of the best mods I've
ever put on the quad. It even survived a rather nasty barrel roll down Ironman hill in Crawfordsville this year.

beerock
12-31-2004, 04:50 PM
I found a better pic.

this sunline billit perch gives more adjustment then ANY perch ont he market.

JTRtrx250r
12-31-2004, 05:14 PM
I found a better pic.

this sunline billit perch gives more adjustment then ANY perch ont he market. gotta say thats the 1st time Ive ever seen 1 up close, I dig the reverse style adjuster:cool: Might have to check 1 of them out!:D

SixthFloorFreak
12-31-2004, 07:26 PM
how much do those perches cost? they look killer

beerock
12-31-2004, 07:30 PM
i think there like 40 bux with a lever but I like the rtc WAY better.

You might be able to just buy the perch Im not sure

see the threads actually go into the perch, there is a oring in it to keep dirt out it has about a 1inch of adjustment

nacs400ex
01-01-2005, 10:41 AM
For the price you cant beat the setup Beerock has. Looks pretty trick with the threads going in the perch.