PDA

View Full Version : 450R to 400ex tail light conversion ?

big_poppa49
12-06-2004, 08:27 AM
Ok. Im wanting to put a 450r LED tail light on my 01' 400ex. The holes line up perfect but it looks to me like the led light would weigh more and looks like using the stock rubber grommets would make it hang down. Has anybody done this conversion? Would I have to cut and make brackets out of metal or would the rubber peices hold it up pretty good?? Or is the tail light not as heavy as I think? I dont really want it to flop around all over the place. But a little play wont matter.

Pictures please if anybody has them.

PBlackmon
12-06-2004, 09:51 AM
the stock rubber grommets should hold it fine. Try it out and if they don't hold up, make a metal bracket for it.

big_poppa49
12-06-2004, 02:57 PM
I hope so. I'd really hate to have to make brackets...:rolleyes:

quad
12-06-2004, 03:17 PM
The new 400 has LED tail lights.....It should swap with no problems.

big_poppa49
12-06-2004, 03:48 PM
Yeah. I broke mine while I was trying to climb a steep hill/bank and I was easing up on it and backing off of it to get the feel of it then when I went as far back as I could to get the best run and go, a tree limb that was sticking out I didn't see and jabed into my tail light, busted it to peices. So I figured I would go ahead and get the new LED style.

I bought one from a guy on this site for $30. I got the tracking # and it says for the weight a little over 1 pound. I just wondering if the weight will make it hang using the rubber grommets. I know the new 400ex's and R's have the metal peice that comes down then it bolts to that, but mine has the rubber peice...

big_poppa49
12-07-2004, 12:34 PM
Got it and it fit great! Works and looks alot better. Thanks for your help guys ;)

EPDP99
12-07-2004, 01:26 PM
I hooked mine up to brakes also front and rear, all you need is the 450r plug from the harness or make one. I made my own.

big_poppa49
12-07-2004, 03:01 PM
Originally posted by EPDP99
I hooked mine up to brakes also front and rear, all you need is the 450r plug from the harness or make one. I made my own.

Can you please take a picture of what you made. A brake light would be nice.

EPDP99
12-07-2004, 04:18 PM
Its easier to explain. you need to find a wire that is hot when ignition is turned on. once you find that you can make the harness. but you will need to go to atv shop and buy a hydrolic brake pressure sensor.(make sure it is the hydrolic because the spring switches suck) and also a front switch.(mounts directly to stock lever. look on ebay for 400ex lights or something and find okpowersports or something. That guy is awesome to deal with and can get parts super fast for you.) it comes with wiring instructions. once you get all the parts run wires and tap both switches into one wire(somewhere where it will be hidden like under the seat. then you just have to get insulated connectors for the 2 wires already there. you need to find a hot wire because both switches will require power in to the switches and the other wire will go to the light. I know I kind of babbled but if you need any info feel free to pm me. It is alot easier than it sounds.