PDA

View Full Version : any modifications????

04-20-2002, 10:24 PM
what modifications can i make to my 400ex that wont cost money?(ex:removing the choke) also what does my compression do? how does it effect my atv and what will happen if i make my jetting to lean? some one please help!!!

VegasEx'r
04-21-2002, 12:18 AM
Alright, here we go.

Free mods: Remove the choke (although you should buy a new pilot jet, so really this mod costs $4-5). Drill a couple of 1" holes in your airbox lid or remove the lid completely. Grind off the slop from the welds on the inside of the stock header. Gabe mod (do a search for it on this site, it is something you can do to the stock silencer). Shave the front fenders (I don't know that this is necessarily a performance mod. I think it reduces drag, thereby allowing you to go faster, but there are others who think that isn't the case. Either way I thought I would mention it).

Compression is what gives you power. After the air/fuel mixture has been pulled into the cylinder, the piston comes up to the top of the cylinder bore & compresses the mixture. The sparkplug fires & the compressed mixture burns, creating energy. That's what moves you forward (or backward if you had reverse). The higher the compression, the more compressed the mixture & therefore, the more power created. Higher compression requires stronger engine components (although the stock ex components like the rod, etc. can handle slightly higher CR's), and higher octane ratings.

If you are running lean: This means that you are not getting enough gas into the cylinder. You might think that this will make you go slower, but in fact it will make you go faster & give you more power. You don't want to run lean however, because a lean engine is a hot engine (too hot), and a hot engine is a an engine in trouble. If you run lean for a couple of minutes (like if you are trying to dial in your jetting), it is no big deal. But if you ride for an extended amount of time while lean, you could do serious damage to your motor (like burn a hole through your piston). Even if you don't do any major damage to your engine, you will shorten the life of your motor, so stay away from running lean for extended periods of time.

04-21-2002, 07:11 AM
thanx i will try these later own. maybe tonight