PDA

View Full Version : How to replace your clutch lever

Deathbringer
04-20-2002, 10:09 PM
Hope this helps someone on a DIY clutch lever replacement. This is based on that you have removed, or will be removing the parking brake cable also.

Deathbringer
04-20-2002, 10:10 PM
Second step. Now if you want to be able to start in any gear you need to attach the wires together. If you want to only be able to start in neutral then leave them seperated.

Deathbringer
04-20-2002, 10:11 PM
Third step

Deathbringer
04-20-2002, 10:11 PM
Forth step

Deathbringer
04-20-2002, 10:12 PM
Fifth step, installing the rubber boot

Deathbringer
04-20-2002, 10:12 PM
Sixth step

Deathbringer
04-20-2002, 10:14 PM
Seventh step.. I found I needed to move the starter/headlight housing over a little also, for the clutch to be in a good position.

Deathbringer
04-20-2002, 10:14 PM
Moose clutch is very easy to adjust

own2424
04-21-2002, 09:29 AM
Great Demonstration! Now, where can I buy the EZ adjust clutch perch and lever from? And, How much? Whats the best brand to buy? Thanks!

PsychoDave
04-21-2002, 10:34 AM
i have the same perch and lever....i dont know how but i broke the bottom of the perch.....where the lever clamps ....my dealer says they are on back order till the end of MAY!!!!....that lever is great though

Deathbringer
04-21-2002, 11:10 AM
You can buy it from Motorcycle USA, they list for $49.95 but I got it for $39.85
Here is a link for Motorcycle USA Click Here (http://www.motorcycle-usa.com/)

Its a MOOSE clutch and the part number is M5570001

dariusld
04-21-2002, 06:44 PM
That was a great post especially with all those pictures. I know you know this, but I dont know if some of the other readers know this. Thats a clutch LEVER. Your clutch is in your engine. And there are some important steps you left out. If I had not done this myself already, I wouldnt know what to do with those two wires now or the options I have with those two wires. I also wouldn't know what to do with my parking brake cable. and and and. I was just hoping you would cover the whole thing with all your detailed pictures. P.S. How do you keep your hands so clean and pretty while working on your bike.:) I'm just having fun.

Deathbringer
04-21-2002, 08:29 PM
Wow... and all I wanted to do is help...crap.
Well as the top first post says "This is based on that you have removed, or will be removing the parking brake cable also."... I guess I could have covered that also, but this was a clutch lever replacement help not a parking brake replacement.. Myabe in the future I will do a DIY for that also.. I am going to be doing one for a complete mod on the bike from the WB's pipe, to the K&N filter and dyno jet kit.. so look for more in the future and I will try and cover everything I can think of that people might need to know. I did correct some of the things you mentioned in your post.

04-22-2002, 01:56 AM
Though I swapped mine out long ago, that sure was nice of you to take the time to put this all together for other users on this board. Thanks!

SGA
04-28-2002, 10:57 PM
Good Job!

05-01-2002, 05:43 AM
you should have leo put that up on the ex tch. Good job

mopar 400
05-03-2002, 02:30 PM
Hey deathbringer, what type of gas cap is that?

Deathbringer
05-03-2002, 03:17 PM
Chozen Performance... it pretty cool...and no hose coming out of it which rocks.
BTW if you do a search under my name there is a closer picture of it on my bike.
Chozen Performance (http://www.chozenperformance.com)

yamaha1470
05-11-2002, 06:22 PM
This should definately go in the EXTech

OutlawEX
05-12-2002, 12:08 AM
this thread is a bit od,whon dont know how to cheange a perch,but cool of ya to help out

Deathbringer
05-12-2002, 11:28 PM
OutlawEX
If you spend any amount of time on this forum and look at some of the questions that people ask.. My answer to you is "a lot".. People on this forum are at all different levels and don't know how to do even the most basic of things, such as oil changes, cleaning the air filter.. So I think its great that a place like this is around to help out people on all levels.
Anyway sorry if you find it of no use, others I am sure will however.

EricB
05-13-2002, 06:49 PM
real good thread dude, im going to my parents house to take off my parking brake!

05-14-2002, 08:32 PM
Great Job and thanks for the DIY info.

Now for the stupid question, "What do you do with the wires?"

I just ordered handel bars and plan to do this exact change to my 400EX so I might as well get as much advice as possible to make life easier.

Thanks.

dariusld
05-15-2002, 01:00 PM
You can connect them together and be able to start the quad without having the clutch pulled in(watch out). Or don't connect them and only be able to start in neutral(bad if you stall going up that steep hill and got to find neutral to start). Then just tape them down to your bars with black electric tape. P.S. I know how to change my perch outlawex and I likes this post. The pictures alone were worth it and look how many responses it got. Some posts get 2 or 3 responses.

Deathbringer
05-17-2002, 01:15 AM
Originally posted by DJR
Great Job and thanks for the DIY info.

Now for the stupid question, "What do you do with the wires?"

I just ordered handel bars and plan to do this exact change to my 400EX so I might as well get as much advice as possible to make life easier.

Thanks.

Not a stupid question but I did cover it on step two if you read above the pictures.

excess
05-01-2003, 06:40 AM
no I think he means where do you put em because yuo only have the lever and perch now, did you zip tie it to somewhere?

Deathbringer
05-01-2003, 07:19 AM
Sorry I miss understood the question.
Yes what I did was use two little blades with a wire between them, it pushes right into the holders on the bike, then if you ever want to go back you can. Then I just zip tied it to the handle bars.

The blades where like the ones you would use on car speaker terminals, only the opposite side, and had a blue cover over them. This way you don't have to clip and wires and you can always go back to factory original or if something requires those original hook ups you got'm.

Hopefully that cleared it up if it didn't write back.

excess
05-01-2003, 07:58 AM
a pic would help if you ever get the chance

Deathbringer
05-01-2003, 08:29 AM
I will try and get one tonight for you.

05-02-2003, 11:50 AM
good job, but you forgot one thing....to clean the clutch cable since its alwready half way off..on mine i found that dust gets in the cable and makes it harder to pull over time....i have made it a monthly thing to take the clutch cable off...spray wd40 in it it or brake cleaner and just slide the cable back and forth and watch the dirt drip out until its clean....but thats a rpety good how to