PDA

View Full Version : Removing Snorkel

kaneman23
04-20-2002, 09:41 PM
I removed the snorkel out of my airbox this afternoon. I've heard some people have made good gains without it. Should I plug the airbox hole or modify the airbox anymore? I occassionally cross some fairly deep streams and I am worried that I will suck in water through the hole. Thanks,
Justin

Glamis400ex
04-20-2002, 10:18 PM
kaneman23,

I took off the snorkel also off my 400ex. I plugged the hole with the lid from a black spray paint can. I cut it down to like 1 inch. I then took some electical tape and made about 6-7 wraps around the outside. This makes a reall snug fit in the hole. Push it in flush and your'e done. Pretty trick, you can't even see it and cost nothing really.

Hope this helps.

Glamis

Wheelie
04-21-2002, 11:41 AM
If you remove the snorkel, plug the hole. It would be a good idea to either remove the airbox lid, or modify it, if you haven't done so already.

yamaha1470
04-21-2002, 11:45 AM
What does the snorkel do? What happens when u remove it? Do u need it?

Deathbringer
04-21-2002, 12:30 PM
No you don't need it. Honda's idea behind it was that if you happen to get into deep water or to much water is coming up over the bike the snorkle will still get air to the engine(airbox) because it sits at a higher point. If you don't spend much time in water or just don't ride in water you can remove it for extra air. I made mine into an extra air filter so it flows air through it but doesn't have to travel the full lenght of the snorkle. I really don't feel that you need to pull this off unless you are going to mod the bike.. a stock 400ex will not benefit from removing it..and no it doesn't weight anything so the weight thing is null.

Glamis400ex
04-21-2002, 01:16 PM
you can remove the snorkel if you've made holes in the lid or just removed the whole lid.

Glamis