PDA

View Full Version : reaming a spindle

spanks23
12-05-2004, 01:34 AM
can anyone explain how to properly ream a spindle. i have a yamaha and want to put in aftermarket ball joints. any help would be appreciated...

2stroketwin
12-05-2004, 12:28 PM
What are you trying to do? Reaming the spindles is pretty much a thing of the past. There wasn't aftermarket ball joint tapers that would fit, but now you can get several differant types that are a good fit. Now you can get a YFZ or Raptor lower ball joint that will press right in and has plenty of clearance for the rubber boot and travel (@ $17.00 at the dealership). It all gets back to, what are you trying to do?

bradley300
12-05-2004, 02:41 PM
if he has a banshee or blaster, most companies like burgaurd,laegers and LSR usually still use honda styl balljoints that require reaming

spanks23
12-05-2004, 05:54 PM
exactly. i bought burgard arms and had ordered yamaha ball joints. now i have a set of honda style ball joints that i can't use. well, as we know, balljoints break, so i need to replace the yamaha taper and figured i would use the ones that came with the rms instead of spending more money.

2stroketwin
12-05-2004, 10:14 PM
Bradly300 what arms does lone star currently build that sell a honda taper for a yamaha application? Spanks23 if you ream your spindles you can never go back.

spanks23
12-05-2004, 10:52 PM
i know. the whole thing is, honda taper is much more readily available. i always have to order the yamaha ones. plus i already have a set to replace them with, so it won't cost anything. do you think its work buying yamaha again???? i figured it would make more sense just to ream them.. not sure what to do.