PDA

View Full Version : Racing with 300ex

Chromd
12-04-2004, 11:43 PM
Ok well i got a 300ex. Everything is stock cept for header and pipe. I want to get into the racing scene, but not to sure how to mod up my machine to get it competitive. I know i will have to gets ome engine work done, but what kind of other stuff. I mostly worried about the suspension i guess, in everyday riding, my atv tipps so easy, trys to flip! How do you fix this problem. If you make it lower will it lessin this problem. If it does, how would i lower it and what parts do i need. Thanks for your Time! Ill post a pic of my 4-wheeler for yall to see.

http://home.comcast.net/~chromdoutdubs/MVC-754S.JPG

-Chromd

hardkoratvmxr
12-05-2004, 09:42 AM
Here are the mods you will need to do i am just going to name the parts that i have and the parts you get should be your preference well here it goes:

chassis:
LSR +2+1 a-arms
LSR excalibur axle
frame gussets
aftermarket bumper

suspension:
elka (compression, rebound, and ride height adjustable) all around

body:
maier silver race plastics
light removed
different seat foam (racing comfort)

steering:
renthal handle bars (cr high bend)
Roll Design steering stem

motor:
Big Gun Full Race Exhaust
Curtis Sparks high rev Cdi
Weisco 11:1 compression piston bored .04 over
aggressive cam
port and polish

gearing:
13/36 for tight tracks and 13/35 for open tracks

other parts that should be done before body, and steering stem:
8x8 rear douglas beadlocks
10x7 douglas red label front (stock is just fine for the front)]
maxxis razr mx 18x10x8 rear tires
maxxis razr mx 20x7x10 front tires

Lil - Braff
12-05-2004, 11:33 AM
What kidna racing are you wanting to get into? Xc or Mx? Everything that hardkoratvmxr said was good and right but no matter what kinda racing you wanna do, I would suggest some wider a-arms (LSR is what I have), front & back shocks (PEP is again what I have but elka is also really good), nerf bars (Ac racing), some new tires (I like holeshots & kendas), diff. axle (LSR), if doing xc racing I'd suggest a gripper seat (you will love this when it's muddy!) and some different type of wheel (beadlocks, etc.) As far as engine work... sorry I ain't much help. I do know that GT thunder has a 350 which is what I am planning on getting in the spring. For your tipping problem, shocks and longer a-arms should fix that (and of course leaning more). Hope some of this helps anlong with hardkoratvmxr's advice. ;)

Chromd
12-05-2004, 01:39 PM
U said get some longer a-arms, does that make the ride height higher? or lower? or just make the stance on the atv wider and more stable? If i get some motor work done, say if i wanted to put a wild cam in it, what else would i have to do to be able to add that cam?

-Chromd

hardkoratvmxr
12-05-2004, 03:36 PM
wider a-arms makes it more stable and doing so makes riding it a little easier. i forgot to add you will need to get nerfs and a kill switch if you plan on racing ama. You will also need some new front shocks if yuou are going to run wider a-arms. if you are on a budget get works if you can spend as muich s you want get elka. these are just my opinons. For the cam you wont notice it as muhc unless you get a high rev cdi box and a high compression piston high flow airfilter and proper jetyting

Chromd
12-05-2004, 07:46 PM
Ok, so the hi rev cdi thing, im guessing thats lets you rev the engine higher, the high compression piston lets your increase your compression, air filter allows more air flow, jetting allows more gas??????? Is all this worth it, could i even tell a difference when all this is added. I also heard when you get a wild cam you have to get upgrade valves springs i think. I was lookin around and found some crj performance lowering kit front and rear for a 400ex, Do you think these will work on my 300ex cuz it made for a 400ex.... Thanks for all the helpfull info. Oh yes wher emight i find all these high performance motor parts for my 300ex. One more thing does anyone have the spec sheet for my 1996 honda 300ex. Thanks

-Chromd

Lil - Braff
12-05-2004, 08:10 PM
Yes you should be able to tell a difference. Weisco pistons are good. Try them out. Their link should be in the link section. ;)

Out_Sider
12-05-2004, 08:20 PM
hey man, dont get lowering kits.. they are a NO for racing. i am parting out a complete race ready 330ex, so if u want any parts u can PM me, i got some +2+1 arms, just rebuilt works shocks frotn and rear, +4 durablue axle, hi rev cdi box, UNI air filter, prejetted carb, got a complete race ready 330 big bore motor with the cam, rockers, springs, valves, 11:1 compression, and a new ebc dirt racer clutch. i got pretty much everything you'd need, whether u want it or not is completely up to you tho man, heres some pics of it
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid127/pb9064c53943c47c4d4cd19ca22be70e5/f7ee3d70.jpg http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid127/pf0145e152fbb01cd7b209d3063413090/f7ee3d8f.jpg http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid127/pff118b3309baba3b4986bd1af4c6e42a/f7ee3d7e.jpg

just tell me if you see any parts your interested in

roostin_dale
12-05-2004, 08:26 PM
Originally posted by Out_Sider
i am parting out a complete race ready 330ex,

??? i thought you were racing it next year?

ThumPIN_450R
12-06-2004, 11:12 AM
the 300EX has it's limits i wouldn't spend to much money on it if I were you i had wheel spacers hi rev cdi from sparks tag x5 bars razr mx tiresand a supertrapp header with 3" tc style silencer and it got me by pretty good i was able to win quite a few races with it until i got my bigger quad

Out_Sider
12-06-2004, 03:18 PM
Originally posted by roostin_dale
??? i thought you were racing it next year?

theres a chance i might be, but i kinda doubt it dude, the 300 has been nothing but trouble on wheels for me.. the most unreliable quad i've ever seen, so im hoping to get a 450r and just race it locally next year, then when im 16 start racing nationals

ridemehard913
12-07-2004, 06:57 AM
for GNCC sport class i run a 14/33 sprocket combo,400ex a arms, works on front stock 250R on rear (rebuilt bt hillbillyracing) 250R 1" stubby swing arm, RPM dominator axle, 250R tie rods,
and a few more lil things

PRM-ATV
N-STYLE
GNCC#99

dirtmomma
12-07-2004, 08:37 AM
Guess I'll pop in here :) LOL, I run a 300 for flattrack, well I should say my son is now!! Mine is probably the biggest BUDGET racer on here LOL, My engine work consists of, Wiseco piston .60 over, porting,WEB cam stage 3,400 carb,Hardened Rockers(A MUST W/ THE CAMS BIGGER THAN #1 DROP IN)FMF Megamax full system,Curtis Sparks Rev box, my son can get this thing ROLLING on the flattrack :) I have also beat some 400's w/ it!!
As for tires I run 18x11x8 rear grooved turfs,w/ Hoosiers up front, also have some grooved radials for the front. I have +3 custom A arms, & it's lowered about 6" from stock or more :eek2: I run a 14/36 gearing & 13/36 for the trail w/ 20" rears!! Also JUST picked up stage 4 WEB cam :devil:

but that is a flattrack set up of course!!

If you wanna try racing out to see if you'll like it I wuold start w/ nerf bars, & making it wider if possible to see if you'll even like it, you will grow out of it fast more than likely!! But if you have a class to race it in it's a great little quad :) I have to run in an open class so it sucks for me :( but my son run's it in a 250-350 4 stroke class & does pretty good!!Just have fun w/ it!!

dirtmomma
12-07-2004, 08:44 AM
Originally posted by ridemehard913
for GNCC sport class i run a 14/33 sprocket combo,400ex a arms, works on front stock 250R on rear (rebuilt bt hillbillyracing) 250R 1" stubby swing arm, RPM dominator axle, 250R tie rods,
and a few more lil things

PRM-ATV
N-STYLE
GNCC#99

Hey I see your running a 250r rear shock & also an R swinger, just curious what year is it off of???? I have an old r rearend laying around here it's off of about an 83-85? 3 wheeler, just wondering what yr it was :) thanks ;) Also I wonder if an R shock would work on a 300 stock swinger??

bradley300
12-07-2004, 09:33 AM
Originally posted by Lil - Braff
What kidna racing are you wanting to get into? Xc or Mx? Everything that hardkoratvmxr said was good and right but no matter what kinda racing you wanna do, I would suggest some wider a-arms (LSR is what I have), front & back shocks (PEP is again what I have but elka is also really good), nerf bars (Ac racing), some new tires (I like holeshots & kendas), diff. axle (LSR), if doing xc racing I'd suggest a gripper seat (you will love this when it's muddy!) and some different type of wheel (beadlocks, etc.) As far as engine work... sorry I ain't much help. I do know that GT thunder has a 350 which is what I am planning on getting in the spring. For your tipping problem, shocks and longer a-arms should fix that (and of course leaning more). Hope some of this helps anlong with hardkoratvmxr's advice. ;)

wow lil, good advice, your starting to sound like you know what your talking about:blah:

badazzracing
12-07-2004, 11:26 AM
yeah i raced mx/XC with my 250x the same thing and i did good but now i got a 250r for mx and i am sell my shocks for a 300ex and 250x front and back the back is a works with reservoir on the back and biggybacks on the fronts

Braff1
12-08-2004, 08:19 AM
I know all these parts everyone is throwing out are very expensive. I recommend getting a good suspension (elka) front and rear. The 300 shocks are very limited on what they can do. After that get a good set of tires of your choice. Now as time goes on you can add the goodies you need a little at a time, remember you gotta also have money to race on!

Lil=Braff's 330 with a cam will hang with a stock 400, so the little mills can put out some HP's. Even boring the stock cylinder out and adding a higher compression (about 10:1) will help as will a nice cam. Making the quad wider will give it stabilily and better handling. Do NOT use the lowering kit if you plan on racing MX or XC. Those are made for flat track racing and will not hold up.

Hope this helps.

big bad beny
12-10-2004, 07:55 PM
hay i run gncc sport class.My 300EX is stock for the most part. Braff is right just buy it as you are racing. i got 3rd at the ironman and all i have is ITP tires and a HMF slip with WB head pipe but i cant hang in the felds so motor work is verry nice.

P.S. Ride Red and Ride Hard