PDA

View Full Version : OT: I found a Black Widow spider today.

gate_keeper_32
12-04-2004, 08:17 PM
I was cutting and splitting wood today and my buddy that was with me pointed out a spider that was on the log I was holding. I usually dont pay any attention to spiders on the wood because they are so plentiful where I live, but this one caught my eye. I picked it up with a pair of gloves and put it in a container, came in and got on the internet to lopok up pictures of them and sure enough, it was a Widow. I was unsure because the typical "hour glass" pattern on their abdomon wasnt as prominant as what was expected, but I read that half of the time it is just to red or orange marks on it's underside "sometimes" connect to look like an hourglass.

I know, fascinating huh?:huh :huh but I thought it was freaky knowing that I have these things in my woods. I will be sure and keep an eye out for them from now on.

JDiablo
12-04-2004, 08:21 PM
wow that sux sorta,that would haven't been to good if that lil sucker bit you:eek2:

440exnacsracer
12-04-2004, 10:07 PM
yeah, theyre all over down here. my friends dad was bit by one and was hospitalized for 3 days:eek2:

sportraxkid
12-04-2004, 10:11 PM
I have probley killed 20 of those things never been bite by one though.:rolleyes:

ReconRider25
12-04-2004, 10:12 PM
i find those in my house sometimes.....not big tho....

JDiablo
12-04-2004, 10:13 PM
Originally posted by ReconRider25
i find those in my house sometimes.....not big tho....

thats even worse,the smaller the spider is the more venom it has

stocktires
12-04-2004, 10:32 PM
When building out house, I killed probably 40 of them. Always hiding in bricks or just anywhere dark. Haven't seem hardly any since.

400grl
12-04-2004, 11:25 PM
The younger black widows don't have as distinct markings as the mature ones.....the mature ones are black, round and shiny with a bright red hoursglass.....the younger females are stripey and don't look anything like the adults......I can spot them from birth until maturity, because we have those nasty biyatches as well as Brown Recluses all over in AZ............:scary:

Quad18star
12-04-2004, 11:32 PM
People have been finding them in grapes that have been imported from down in the southern states and Mexico . Damn little critters have made their way to Canada now . :grr:

wheeltrax
12-04-2004, 11:34 PM
I have seen a Brown recluse once.. biggest spider i have seen in the wild around here.. I dislike spiders very much lol.

montyjcm
12-05-2004, 12:05 AM
Ya, black widows are everywhere in socal during the fall and summer. At night time, i can usually spot at least 5 fat ones without even looking too hard. I hate em.

stocktires
12-05-2004, 12:30 AM
Originally posted by Quad18star
People have been finding them in grapes that have been imported from down in the southern states and Mexico

That would be one scary *** surprise.
A friend of mine got bit by a brown recluse a month or so ago

cletusEX
12-05-2004, 01:33 AM
What part of Md do you live? I have seen them in Ca but I thought it was too cold, especially this time of year.

86350x
12-05-2004, 09:01 AM
People have been finding them in grapes that have been imported from down in the southern states and Mexico . Damn little critters have made their way to Canada now . :grr:

I HATE spiders:mad: They better not be comming up this way. Hopefully the cold climate kills them:scary:

44oEX
12-05-2004, 09:10 AM
Originally posted by 86350x
I HATE spiders:mad: They better not be comming up this way. Hopefully the cold climate kills them:scary:

thats just what I was thinking. let see how this thing can live in the snow lol

Syrus
12-05-2004, 09:17 AM
Many years ago when i was a kid, I was at my cottage, floatin on the water with a raft, just laying around and the waved pushed me over to my dock. Well i looked up and saw a Dock Spider (go figure) and for those who dont know what they are, their HUGE, im talking bigger then your hand spread out, must have been atleast 5-6+ inches wide. Most of it was the leg span but wow i shiet myself fast. Very big spider, common in Canada around the lakes, but it was the biggest spider ive EVER seen.

Another story :P I was down at my condo in Arizona, and there was a turanchula (sp) on he side walk, wasnt moving. So my grampa decided to kick it to get it moving. Well it didnt do much, but later on we found out from the local's that those type of spiders jump 8 feet in the air and can latch onto your face and spray something in your eye. Got lucky that time lol.

FasstMidnightZ
12-05-2004, 09:19 AM
:eek2: ive had a black widow crawling on my arm before and holy **** i freaked out didnt bite me tough phew

400grl
12-05-2004, 09:41 AM
Originally posted by Syrus

Another story :P I was down at my condo in Arizona, and there was a turanchula (sp) on he side walk, wasnt moving. So my grampa decided to kick it to get it moving. Well it didnt do much, but later on we found out from the local's that those type of spiders jump 8 feet in the air and can latch onto your face and spray something in your eye. Got lucky that time lol.

HAHHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!! That's the funniest thing I've ever heard!!!LOL!!! We have those tarantula's around sometimes- they can't hurt you unless you stick you finger in their fangs!!! LOL!!!! They are really mellow and just want to be left alone.........we were at Motogrande (a local track) and I saw one on the track trying to cross....I jumped off and took off my boot, scooped it up in my boot and ran it across into the desert......poor thing.......they are cool. WHen I was littler, we would stop and watch thousands of them cross the road........likea black wave of legs and eyeballs.......it was pretty cool.

It's too cold in Canada for black widows......they will die if they don't find someplace REALLY warm!

86350x
12-05-2004, 09:52 AM
Originally posted by 400grl
HAHHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!! That's the funniest thing I've ever heard!!!LOL!!! We have those tarantula's around sometimes- they can't hurt you unless you stick you finger in their fangs!!! LOL!!!! They are really mellow and just want to be left alone.........we were at Motogrande (a local track) and I saw one on the track trying to cross....I jumped off and took off my boot, scooped it up in my boot and ran it across into the desert......poor thing.......they are cool. WHen I was littler, we would stop and watch thousands of them cross the road........likea black wave of legs and eyeballs.......it was pretty cool.

It's too cold in Canada for black widows......they will die if they don't find someplace REALLY warm!

Its colder were I'm at most of the time, so thank god. **** like that makes me want to avoid out west.

Quad18star
12-05-2004, 11:13 AM

LOL ... I don't think they can survive the snow .... but I guess they can survive the truck rides up from the south . IT's becoming more and more commong for people to find them in their fruits and veggies . They were shwing them on the news the other night .... 2 small kids found the spider in some grapes . :grr:

86350x
12-05-2004, 02:09 PM
So its a spring and summer only thing then:confused: I really hate spiders more then anything else. I keep a bb gun all pumped up and blast em with air in the sheds. Orange shat splatters all over. I hate hate hate spiders:mad:

Come on snow, whipe out the black widows!

Jason250ex
12-05-2004, 02:31 PM
stocktires, what part of LA are you from? im in alexandria, central part of the state....i also know someone who got bitten by a brown recluse recently

Quad18star
12-05-2004, 02:35 PM
I think I found the main reason why I don't live in the southern United states . Hell only thing I need to worry about up in my area is getting bitten by westnile mosquito or by a rabid beaver . :p

stocktires
12-05-2004, 02:46 PM
Originally posted by Jason250ex
stocktires, what part of LA are you from? im in alexandria, central part of the state....i also know someone who got bitten by a brown recluse recently

Hammond, it was a kid from school who got bit, I never really asked him about it though. You ride any MX?

lol, rabid beavers

12-05-2004, 03:15 PM
Hey gatekeeper, kinda strange that you live in the south and dont know what a black widow looks like. Dont they teach you that sh*t in school?

btw, how poisonous are black widows and brown rekluses???

Bubba
12-05-2004, 04:27 PM
i cant stand spiders. we have black widows alot during summer. They get into our newspapers sometimes, not everytime i get the paper i shake it out...we have alot of wolf spiders too, they can move pretty fast too.... one time i was riding in the woods and the was a web streatched out between 2 trees and i rode into it, and a spiders was hangin from the visor on my helmet... it didnt take me long to get that helmet off

stocktires
12-05-2004, 05:12 PM
Banana spider was it?

At my grandmaw's during the summer they're EVERYWHERE. Every 20 feet they have a HUGE web across the trail. These spiders are huge too, bigger than the bottom of a coke can (including their legs). I just go striaght through them now and have one or two on me whenever I stop.

exrider360
12-05-2004, 06:35 PM
thats how you live life on the edge playing those babies

hondaman09
12-05-2004, 07:00 PM
my uncle had a nest(or whatever u call it) of brown recluses under his porch,there were hundreds of them,he was bit 3 times on one leg,he noticed when he woke up,then he exterminator came and said he got all of them,next week his wife was bit twice,they were both in hopital together,they wound up buying a new house(wife was scared to death)

440exnacsracer
12-05-2004, 08:24 PM
im talking bigger then your hand spread out, must have been atleast 5-6+ inches wide.

we must have them down here too, cause i was swimming with a few friends one night in a pool, and i look over to see this big ******* running at me on top of the water:huh :eek2: i was out of the deep end quicker than i could say SH**

Banana spider was it?
those are pretty harmless but im still extremely arachniphobic!

bman9
12-05-2004, 08:26 PM
i like me snow fleas up here instead

lol

Quad18star
12-05-2004, 09:46 PM
Originally posted by bman9
i like me snow fleas up here instead

lol

I fawking hate snow fleas . I left one of my gloves sitting in the snow on a warmer day , and them lil *******s were all over it .... covered the glove by the hundreds . They are pretty harmless though ..... just a pain to try to get off all your stuff. :grr:

stocktires
12-05-2004, 09:51 PM
snow fleas?

Quad18star
12-05-2004, 09:55 PM
Originally posted by stocktires
snow fleas?

Yup .... Tiny little flea looking critters that live in the snow ...Weird eh?? :p

dbsbl1
12-05-2004, 11:57 PM
Originally posted by 400grl
The younger black widows don't have as distinct markings as the mature ones.....the mature ones are black, round and shiny with a bright red hoursglass.....the younger females are stripey and don't look anything like the adults......I can spot them from birth until maturity, because we have those nasty biyatches as well as Brown Recluses all over in AZ............:scary:

Glad I don't live in AZ...yikes!

SGA
12-06-2004, 12:15 AM
We have black widows around here. Black widows are shiny black with a red hourglassmark on the bottom.
We also have brown widows. It looks like a black widow but with a brownish color, but not as dangerous.
Here is a black widow:

SGA
12-06-2004, 12:16 AM
A brown widow

SGA
12-06-2004, 12:18 AM
Another of a brown widow

SGA
12-06-2004, 12:19 AM
One more of a black widow

JR3
12-06-2004, 03:59 AM
ew i almost puked heres alink to what happems when u let a brown rekluse bite go sand not get treatment the first 1 is just a pic of a recluse then as u go down the bite keeps getting worse i jus jumped ahead and went to 6 i almost hurled link to brown rekluse bite (http://www.andrew.cmu.edu/user/chp/brown%20recluse/)

gate_keeper_32
12-06-2004, 04:17 AM
I think I found the main reason why I don't live in the southern United states . Hell only thing I need to worry about up in my area is getting bitten by westnile mosquito or by a rabid beaver . :p

LOL...You say that sarcasticly but I have a story for you. My cousin was out on his boat with his family this past summer and they heard a young kid screaming. They hurried up and drove to shore to see what was going on and here was this beaver trying to drag the 4 year old boy under water. His father was trying to keep him above the water but was having little success at it with beaver ****ing the boys' hip. My cousin jumped into the water with a big stick and eventually was able to kill the beaver. They took the animal to have it checked and it indeed had rabies. They all had to go through a series of shots, including anyone who was even in the water around them. The boy suffered puncture wounds around the hip area, and was more than likely scarred for life mentally.

MY450R
12-06-2004, 06:33 AM
i f ing hate spiders big time
i am terrified of them
one time my buddy put a live spider on me as a joke because he knows i hate spiders.
well i knocked his *** right out witrh one punch haha
he didnt think it was to funny after that

12-06-2004, 07:31 AM
My mom was bitten by a Brown rekluse about 2 years ago. The whole back of her knee turned black. She kept talking about a bug bite and how it was hurting, but didnt' get it checked. Then it turned black and she ended up in the hospital. About 1 month after that a friend of ours was hospitalized for the same thing. We live in PA. The little suckers are migrating.

400grl
12-06-2004, 09:32 AM
I got bit by a brown recluse when I was younger, and again this past year......my dad was bitten by a whole bunch of baby black widows one time when he was working on an old car and he banged the muffler.....they all came pouring out of the tail pipe and all over him before he could get out from under the car.......he got sick and had to take antibiotics.......but to tell you the truth, I'd rather have scorpions, black widows, gila monsters and all that and be able to ride all year around - I love AZ!!! :) ;)

Mxjunkie
12-06-2004, 09:42 AM
i hate spiders SOO much! when i first started riding dirtbikes i had a xr100, i was riding though the trails and i rode through a massive web, i freaked out and threw my helmet off, jumped off the bike and needless to say i was screamin my *** off lol, i was about 10, but yeah i cant stand them, snakes i can deal with, but spiders i freak out:(

zedicus00
12-06-2004, 09:52 AM
ehh i hav a house full of spides, keeps the flies away. i jus killed a baby blak widow yesterday. another month or so an the wolfs spiders start comin out of the basement cuz of the cold. if u leave them alone they leave u alone... i caught a wolf spider last year that if it sat with its leggs spread out would hav been bigger around then a silver dollar easily. its body was about quarter size. got bit on the foot by one that was so big it left 2 distinct fang marks. swells up like a b!tch and turns yur skin rock hard for a couple days.

86350x
12-06-2004, 10:15 AM
Gross, nasty pics and story's. I can ride year around here. Pluss it give me an excuse to own a bad-*** snowmobile:p I'll stick to the northern territories;)

Quad18star
12-06-2004, 10:34 AM
Originally posted by gate_keeper_32
LOL...You say that sarcasticly but I have a story for you. My cousin was out on his boat with his family this past summer and they heard a young kid screaming. They hurried up and drove to shore to see what was going on and here was this beaver trying to drag the 4 year old boy under water. His father was trying to keep him above the water but was having little success at it with beaver ****ing the boys' hip. My cousin jumped into the water with a big stick and eventually was able to kill the beaver. They took the animal to have it checked and it indeed had rabies. They all had to go through a series of shots, including anyone who was even in the water around them. The boy suffered puncture wounds around the hip area, and was more than likely scarred for life mentally.

Oh i believe it ....... them beavers can get f'ing mean . I used to work at a science center , and we'd take care of orphand beavers . We'd have to put them back into the wild at around 1 1/2 years old ... they get to aggressive and protective .

86350x
12-06-2004, 11:07 AM
Lol, never thought I'd have to worry about beavers. Just badger's and wolverines. Greg, you really are obsessed with beavers aren't ya. Probrably have beaver stuffed animals, books,videos.:p

Quad18star
12-06-2004, 11:24 AM
Lol, never thought I'd have to worry about beavers. Just badger's and wolverines. Greg, you really are obsessed with beavers aren't ya. Probrably have beaver stuffed animals, books,videos.:p

:D There's nothing like a nice beaver ..... until it attacks you , snaps at you, or smacks you . You gotta watch ... some of them carry some pretty bad deseases .....:confused:

86350x
12-06-2004, 11:28 AM
:D There's nothing like a nice beaver ..... until it attacks you , snaps at you, or smacks you . You gotta watch ... some of them carry some pretty bad deseases .....:confused:

Talking about both kinds of beavers again:p

Je préfère un castor rasé agréable:confused:

Quad18star
12-06-2004, 11:35 AM
Talking about both kinds of beavers again:p

Je préfère un castor rasé agréable:confused:

Bien oui .... le castor rase est tres agreable .... j'le mangerais a chaques jours si je pourrais . Cela et l'omar rouge . :blah:

I don't have a french keyboard .... so try to make the best outta that one . :devil:

86350x
12-06-2004, 11:38 AM
You agree and like shaved beaver too. You would eat it everyday if you could. That and the red something, whats the last word:confused:

Quad18star
12-06-2004, 11:55 AM
You agree and like shaved beaver too. You would eat it everyday if you could. That and the red something, whats the last word:confused:

LOL .... I think I mentioned something about red snapper :confused: ;)

SGA
12-06-2004, 08:36 PM

So true, so true :D

watts16
12-06-2004, 08:51 PM
my friensd was bit by a brown recluse in the hospital for 2 dAys

watts16
12-06-2004, 08:51 PM

hondaracer305
12-06-2004, 09:16 PM
when i worked over the summer last year, we had to pull up some silt fence since it was all getting knocked down by mud, and in that silt fence, we found like 5 or 6 black widows, its not good knowing that death is that close and i wasnt wearing gloves, just a white t shirt and work pants :eek2: . also, there is this big hill that we were throwing bikes down and there are groves where a tractors teeth dug into the hill to grind it down and there were soooo many black widows on that hill (near vertical hill), man, i HATE spiders, especially when you feel one crawling on your hand when your campin or something and you look down, ahhh. Btw, black widows are very non agressive, i saw a guy on TV put one on his hand once and let it crawl around, i woulda crapped my pants.

SGA
12-06-2004, 09:17 PM
Originally posted by exracer16

Originally posted by exracer16

It happened to him twice?

Quad18star
12-06-2004, 09:21 PM
Originally posted by SGA
It happened to him twice?

ROFLMAO :p

Big400EX
12-06-2004, 09:26 PM
Originally posted by stocktires
That would be one scary *** surprise.
A friend of mine got bit by a brown recluse a month or so ago

Did it turn out like this, what the hell was this guy thinking!

http://www.andrew.cmu.edu/user/chp/brown%20recluse/

Destructo
12-06-2004, 09:52 PM
man, I wonder why that guy was willing to let that bite go un-treated, you couldn't pay me to put my hand through that...

Unless for some reason he didn't know it was a rekluse bite and just took pictures of it after each day?