PDA

View Full Version : HMF slip on or full system for 400ex

onlyquad
12-04-2004, 03:31 PM
My quad is 400 ex 2005. Im thinking put in it, in the next days a HMF pipe, a good foam filter, and hotcam stage 1. No more modifications in the future for the motor of my quad. I ride mainly in rough trails in the woods or mountains. I dont need more velocity, only need great power in low an medium range. For my tipe of rides and the few modifications on the motor,... I must buy the HMF SPORT SERIES SLIP ON(210 DOLLARS) OR THE HMF FULL SYSTEM(430 DOLLARS). ?? What do you think? The inversion in the full system is justifiable? Thanks in advance for your response:eek2:

Bush0102
12-04-2004, 03:53 PM
With the camshaft, you'll probably be able to feel a better gain with a full system. I have a slip-on, and it made a huge difference, but I am sending it back to HMF so they can convert it to a full system for when i get my cam.

hondarider2006
12-04-2004, 06:00 PM
If you have the money, and are digging into the motor, I would go with the full system. It will give you more low end power like you are looking for, and let your motor breath better;)

hondardr4life
12-04-2004, 07:22 PM
If you want more bottom end power I would put in a Wiseco 11.1 compression piston in while you have your motor apart. It will give you more low end power

DirtDevilBT
12-05-2004, 12:13 AM
I don't know, I thought the stock 400ex header looked pretty sufficant and aftermarket ones aren't that much bigger. You could save the money, get a 11.1 JE piston and slip on HMF. Good to go!

Chanman420q
12-05-2004, 12:38 PM
honestly, the sotck 400ex head pipe makes prolly more bottom end then most aftermarket ones. Basicly because it cant breath as well. Which gives in more back pressure. Thats why when the 400ex was actually raced ( way back when right :rolleyes: ) the XC racers only had a slip on.

speedy400
12-05-2004, 02:15 PM
personally, I really like my setup, HMF slip on with a powerbomb header.. the header gives it yet a somewhat smaller diameter, but yet designed for high flow.-darren

LazeR
12-05-2004, 08:55 PM
Originally posted by speedy400
personally, I really like my setup, HMF slip on with a powerbomb header.. the header gives it yet a somewhat smaller diameter, but yet designed for high flow.-darren

^^ thats what im gonna do when i get my cam! I already have my slip-on ;) cam next, then powerbomb!

04EXdude
12-06-2004, 08:50 PM
I would only use a header if you went big bore and/or higher compression. With a stock motor, you might even lose a little power on low end and not really gain much if any on top end. A stock motor really isn't made for higher rpms and that is where a header benefits the most.

DirtDevilBT
12-07-2004, 09:33 PM
Originally posted by LazeR
^^ thats what im gonna do when i get my cam! I already have my slip-on ;) cam next, then powerbomb!

Why not slip-on, cam, and piston for that money.
Or, slip-on, cam, valves cut, and ported.
Or, slip-on, cam, filter, airbox prefilter.

So many other things to spend the money on other than a dumb powerbomb header!

LazeR
12-07-2004, 11:25 PM
Originally posted by DirtDevilBT
Why not slip-on, cam, and piston for that money.
Or, slip-on, cam, valves cut, and ported.
Or, slip-on, cam, filter, airbox prefilter.

So many other things to spend the money on other than a dumb powerbomb header!

because why half *** my engine, no sense in doing a stock bore piston when im going to do a 416 down the road!, im going to do a 416, 11:1 comp ? I will benefit a lot by already having the header... That stupid powerbomb header helps a lot! From what i have read and found out!

I already have a slip-on, already have a K&N filter, and no airbox lid.... If you read my sig.