PDA

View Full Version : New Brake lines HELP

mxva5413
12-03-2004, 07:27 PM
Well I know this is not the most complicated of matters but anyways here is the problem. I just got my new LSR DC-4 A-arms and put those on w/ Elka quadrate shocks...new brakes lines...now I'm trying to bleed the brake lines so I follow the instructions that came with the LSR brake lines...they are as follows...Fill reservoir w/ DOT 4 brake fluid...loosen the brake line nut on the bottom of the calipers and pump brake leaver until fluid is flowing through lines then tighten that nut and pull brake leaver a few times then hold it and loosen the bleeder nipple to insure that brake fluid comes out....well I did all that and 2 hours later my hands are killing me from pulling the brake leaver that much and they still don't work! Can any of you guys give me some pointers?

Thanks
Chris

rowlrag
12-03-2004, 07:36 PM
Don't give up! I always "flick" the lever not pull it all the way, by doing this you will see tiny bubbles in the master(lid Off), then after doin that a while pump it like normal hold it then release the bleeder. Sometimes you can leave 1 bleeder open at a time and pump and flick, then do the other, sometimes you have to ride it to "jar" out trapped bubbles. These are what I do when I'm away from my tools. They are a pain to bleed, your not doin anything wrong, just takes time.

mxva5413
12-03-2004, 07:49 PM
Thanks for the encouragement rowlrag. Is it possiable to get an air bubble in the master cyclinder? I just diconnected the brake lines from the reservoir and pumped the lever a few time and still just a tiny little bit of fluid coming out just a few drips!

oldsandman
12-03-2004, 08:37 PM
Hook everything up, make sure all fittings are tight. Fill your master cylinder. Jiggle or tap around on the lines so bubbles will rise. Sometimes letting it sit overnight will allow the bubbles to rise. Pull in your brake lever and let it go so it flicks against it's stop helps too. As said before a quick flicking of the lever will usually get it going.

I use a large syringe and small clear hose and use slow even pressure to pump brake fluid back up through the calipers bleeder. It usually works alot better.

mxva5413
12-03-2004, 08:42 PM
Originally posted by oldsandman

I use a large syringe and small clear hose and use slow even pressure to pump brake fluid back up through the calipers bleeder. It usually works alot better.

That's what my friend used when we did the front end on my KFX400...I'm going to stop by his shop tomorrow and see if he still has it! The bikes just going to set over night lol maybe that will help some too!!

mxva5413
12-04-2004, 08:26 AM
Thanks to all those who helped me. The brakes are working now and tires are back on!! The bike handles awesome!! I'll post a few pics after I get the plastic back on and do a little grinding on the frame at work Monday!!

Thanks
Chris

mxva5413
12-04-2004, 08:27 AM
Thanks to all those who helped me. The brakes are working now and tires are back on!! The bike handles awesome!! I'll post a few pics after I get the plastic back on and do a little grinding on the frame at work Monday!!

Thanks
Chris

ckasper18
12-04-2004, 10:01 AM
When bleeding the brakes and you are pulling your lever in and letting it uot make sure you let it alll the way uot before pulling it back in .Flick the brake lever every now and then which also draws some air bubbles out from the top.Hope this helps...Chris