PDA

View Full Version : got my elka's

Nausty
04-20-2002, 05:33 PM
blown rear shock conversion gasket, set up WAY to soft front and rear, rear shock is leaking oil all over rear skid. Plus we didn't get the shockwears we ordered. Definitely ruined a day of riding after waiting a week past, when the rear shock should of got here to put them on today and drive for 2 hours to the track. cuz we were trying a new way and ended up getting lost to finally get at the track to ride for about a hour to find out the rear shock is spewing oil all over and they bottem way to easy. Then to head back home after 1 hour riding for a hour and 20 min trip back home. oh and they didn't send the shockwears to us us either which we ordered and we got a defected rear shock now too. I didn't even hit THAT big of jumps at least not much bigger than what I was doing with stock shocks and I would think for $1100 they would of fixed that problem. I really hope they pay for or fix the rear shock which was their problem. Now we gotta take off the rear shock and air box and everything else and send it off to wait for 2 or 3 or who knows how many weeks till we get it back and hopefully they'll do it right.

NJ300ex
04-20-2002, 05:39 PM
Everyone has to play with their shocks when they get them to set them up just right. as for the oil leaking, that is messed up. I hope they fix it for free tht shouldn't have happened.

Nausty
04-20-2002, 05:58 PM
yah I know but I had the fronts all turned up to as stiff as they would go. Didn't mess with preload on fronts though but the fronts arn't THAT bad on the big jumps if I can land right but I tend to hit jumps at angles and land all messed up so I can clear it because I don't have the option of letting off at all if I want to clear a lot of the jumps at this track just full throttle out of the berm until i'm in the air. I really hope they fix the rear for free and don't say I should of done something about having to do this or that because they don't come with directions or anything and I did take it easy at first to get used to them.

ESR250R
04-20-2002, 07:04 PM
where did u get the shocks from? i just ordered mine 5 weeks ago and still havent recieved them (ordered them for elka direct). if i recieve the shocks and they are messed up like yours i am gonna be royally pissed. when i called them i told them to send me the shocks then i would send them the money. i want to check them over and make sure they ride ok before i send them 1400 dollars.

Nausty
04-20-2002, 07:25 PM
we got them from c&d racing. Are you getting rear shock conversion?

04-20-2002, 08:43 PM
Sorry to hear about your experience, Nausty. I had heard that Elka has a tendency to send their shocks out a bit on the soft side. I had mentioned that concern to them when I ordered them also. In my case, they came out perfect (so far as I can tell thus far). As a somewhat new name in the ATV world, I'm sure they will be steppin' and fetchin' to make you happy. Just don't jump their ***** too hard when you call, no sense starting a pissin contest right off the bat. We'll all have tall ears to hear the outcome, so let us know.

Dave400ex
04-20-2002, 09:09 PM
Now that is the First Bad thing I have ever heard about Elka. I have heard they are Setup kind of Soft, but that can be Adjusted. I know the Quadshop will Fix the Shocks for Free if you don`t like how they are Setup. I guess C&D isn`t so Good now. I think I would get the Shocks from Elka Direct for the Best Setup and then the Quadshop Second.

ESR250R
04-20-2002, 09:45 PM
no i didnt get the conversion. my 250r shocks are way too beat up to do a conversion so i just ordered a new shock. when i ordered they told me 2 to 3 weeks and now its been close to 5 and still no shocks. they said my front will come about 1 week before my front.

noone is responding to my post in the racing forum so ill ask it here.

i have a race on the 28th of this month. my front elkas are supposed to be here around the 23rd and rear the 1st. if i put on my fronts (with ssd) will is handle like crap (front is lower than the rear)? and if i lower the preload on my rear to the fronts will it make the shock bottom out easier?

Dave400ex
04-20-2002, 10:29 PM
Well your Rear Shock won`t Perform near as Good as the Fronts will, but you can still Race it.

SGA
04-20-2002, 11:51 PM
Originally posted by ESR250R
no i didnt get the conversion. my 250r shocks are way too beat up to do a conversion so i just ordered a new shock. when i ordered they told me 2 to 3 weeks and now its been close to 5 and still no shocks. they said my front will come about 1 week before my front.

i have a race on the 28th of this month. my front elkas are supposed to be here around the 23rd and rear the 1st. if i put on my fronts (with ssd) will is handle like crap (front is lower than the rear)? and if i lower the preload on my rear to the fronts will it make the shock bottom out easier?

I put my new elka fronts with SSD (with the stock rear) on and rode around some. I measured before changing them. The front dropped about 1-1/2 inches lower than stock. I power slid it around some and hit a few jumps/ruts. I could see that i would have no problem running a race like it was. The stock rear shock sucked compared to the front elkas though, it's already on the way to the quadshop for a SSD rebuild. Make sure you get some seat time on your new shocks before your race, It handles different, a whole lot better for sure, but different. An hour or so should be enough if your in a pinch for time.

SGA
04-21-2002, 12:14 AM
Nausty, i'm sorry to hear about your shocks. Thats the first time i've heard about a mechanical failure with elka shocks. I would be bummed if that happened to me. Their a great company I hear, i'm sure they will take care of it pronto. Make sure to have them valved for MX being you jump alot, It will be free to revalve them I understand for the first 30 days. You'll like the elka shock covers, they are sharp. Black with red elka name and logo on the side

Leo
04-21-2002, 05:11 AM
Originally posted by sgaexer
Nausty, i'm sorry to hear about your shocks. Thats the first time i've heard about a mechanical failure with elka shocks. I would be bummed if that happened to me...

I think they just re-worked his rear shock, probably done in-house at C+D..

Leo

Foxrage
04-21-2002, 07:23 AM
Ya thats a first about the shocks maybe it was CD fault and not elkas. If i was going to put them on a 250r i would just buy a new rear too.

mrusk
04-21-2002, 08:06 AM
Nausty just call Kolby at CD Monday and i am sure he'll fix it for you. He is a nice guy.

WarriorMan "guess C&D isn`t so Good now." Just becuase they make one mistake does not mean that they arn't good.

matt

JhallettEX
04-21-2002, 08:34 AM
Well said Mrusk, CD are great guys, call him up and tell him what happened and I am sure they will take care of ya. I am getting ready to order a complete set off SSD's from him.

Smoker
04-21-2002, 08:39 AM
Sh*t happens, there's a certain amount of return work on any kind of service. I've been having a problem with one of my front elka's. It was leaking even before I put it on the bike but it doesn't change my attitude about the product. Just sent it back to get it fixed. I'm sure they will be reasonable about fixing your rear shock, even if your shock was set up it shouldn't blow a nut on the first ride. They probably want to learn from what happened to your shock more than anything so it doesn't happen again, besides the web is a powerful communication tool. They don't want you smearing there good name, if they know what's good for them.:p

Dave400ex
04-21-2002, 09:57 AM
Sgaexer, Where did you get your Elka`s?

Mrusk, Everybody was going Nuts about howC&D was the Best and all this, but now I`m sure we will hear they Suck. I do agree that one mistake isn`t a Big Deal, but that shouldn`t happen to his Rear Shock. Oh well I`m sire C&D will take care of it.

Foxrage
04-21-2002, 11:03 AM
I dont see why anyone would buy from CD when we have a great sponcer that carries them.

Dave400ex
04-21-2002, 11:08 AM
I agree with you NACS, but some Guys don`t like the Quadshop for an unknown reason. I will get mine from them.

Foxrage
04-21-2002, 11:21 AM
Ya i guess everyone has those unknown reasons but i will order about 2700 worth of stuff from them in a few months or weeks.

Dave400ex
04-21-2002, 11:38 AM
Wow what all are you going to Order?

Foxrage
04-21-2002, 11:42 AM
Elka Shocks and houser everything and break lines.

Pepto_Bismol
04-21-2002, 11:44 AM
Originally posted by ESR250R

i have a race on the 28th of this month. my front elkas are supposed to be here around the 23rd and rear the 1st. if i put on my fronts (with ssd) will is handle like crap (front is lower than the rear)? and if i lower the preload on my rear to the fronts will it make the shock bottom out easier? [/B]

I Considered the same thing when I first bought my fronts. I have had the fronts with a stock rear shock for about 4 months now. I can tell you I would like to have a rear that is balanced with the fronts, that's why I finallly orded a new rear from elka. (Should be here this week, I too ordered about 1 1/2 months ago) However, I raced with my setup the way it was and was still competative, I just got used to the oddball setup and knew how to work it. I wanted to test it, so I tried it out on the Supercoss track,.. check this out below. (BTW, I found out Elka bought a new shop and was relocating the last two weeks, hence the Delay, and they didn't expect such a huge onslaught of orders, so the are also expanding).
Pepto:cool:

Nausty
04-21-2002, 01:13 PM
Originally posted by NACS400EX
I dont see why anyone would buy from CD when we have a great sponcer that carries them.

i ordered them right before quadshop became a sponsor and I had heard so much good stuff about them.

update: Well looks like he is gonna revalve it for me and fix the seal:D and should be here before this weekend and is paying for the shipping:D

Foxrage
04-21-2002, 01:16 PM
O ok makes sence. It looks like they are good people just made a small mistake.

PsychoDave
04-21-2002, 01:44 PM
i ordered my elkas from c&d....they were great to work with.... they got me my shocks a bit more than a weeks wait....they also took the time to go over my shock needs....before i went to c&d i went to one other place( i wont give the name) and they didnt want to help me or give me the time of day....they lost my business......but....every company and every product ever made can be faulty!!! i dont think c&d racing or whoever will intentionally do something wrong and not help you get it fixed...and from what i hear elka will help you get your problem solved. just my .02

Dave400ex
04-21-2002, 04:30 PM
Yeah C&D will fix it I`m sure.

Foxrage
04-21-2002, 04:40 PM
Ya they will unless they want a bad reputation.

Ex'r Marlin
04-21-2002, 05:50 PM
Nausty, I agree it is very frustrating to finally get something you waited for and paid a lot of money for, only to find out it fails on you, especially when it is not your fault, and you lose a day of riding!:grr I hope you get your rebuilt rear shock setup ok and soon, and hopefully enjoy your Elkas as much as a lot of us do. I too felt my fronts were on "soft" side, but after a few rides/races, I thought they were set up perfectly for me. It was something I just had to get used to, since there is a very noticeable difference between the stockers and the Elkas. I really like my Elkas, and I hope you will enjoy yours!

I too am one that got my Elkas and other goodies from C&D Racing. I have been dealing with them since the beginning of December. I have dealt with numerous dealers in the past, but I have been having the upmost professional experiences with Dusty and Colby at C&D.

Good luck Nausty!

Note: This is the first I heard of a rebuilt rear shock failing.

SGA
04-21-2002, 05:54 PM
Originally posted by WarriorMan
Sgaexer, Where did you get your Elka`s?

Mrusk, Everybody was going Nuts about howC&D was the Best and all this, but now I`m sure we will hear they Suck. I do agree that one mistake isn`t a Big Deal, but that shouldn`t happen to his Rear Shock. Oh well I`m sire C&D will take care of it.

I got them through the quad shop

C&D is a very good company I hear, lets not start the company bashing as awhile back. Heres how a reputable company works below.

(Posted by Nausty) update: Well looks like he is gonna revalve it for me and fix the seal and should be here before this weekend and is paying for the shipping

Dave400ex
04-21-2002, 06:52 PM
How has the Quadshop been? I think that`s where I want to get my Elka`s.

Foxrage
04-21-2002, 06:58 PM
If i get elkas and houser i plan on getting them from the quadshop even if they have made mistakes they still deserve our money because they are so cheap and were willing to sponcer us.

Dave400ex
04-21-2002, 07:26 PM
Well I didn`t know they made Mistakes, but I will Buy stuff from them too. They seem to have Good Service and Great Prices.

PoopOna400EX
04-21-2002, 07:48 PM
Ordered my Elka's from the QuadShop a couple of weeks ago, hopefully things go smoothly. I'll be sure to post the outcome.

~Jason

BANSHEEadam
04-21-2002, 10:31 PM
Wow, some of you guys are quick to jump on a company you have had no experience with, eh? Let's recap my experience with C&D..i started out trying to do business with..*company A* but *company A* was giving less than average service. So I decided to try somewhere else..called up two places, and didn't like what they told me. Then I called up C&D, and wow..They gave me more than everything I needed, they even made sure everything I wanted was for sure what I needed..and went over all my options to get me the right stuff. (..Nausty, you agree they do all they can to help you out??)
And once I ordered..I got everything timely, when I was told, and don't have any problems with any of it.
Now since I have had no dealings with the Quadshop..I won't badmouth them and say that C&D is better, but they ARE they best I've dealt with. And.. Jeff does help out alot, like on the site, but I'm not going to give up my guaranteed service from Colby and Dusty..

heh..anyone else think Leo should rename the forums to "Nacs400ex and Warriorman's Personal Chatbox"???? Come on guys..you either repeat or contradict yourselves with every uninformative post. I'm really not flaming you..just try to sit back, read, and learn, and not voice an opinion after every post. Sorry if I offended you, that wasn't my intention.. but it's getting worse lately.

Adam

Foxrage
04-22-2002, 04:26 AM
Just letting you know i didnt jump on CD i just would rather buy them from our sponcer. I dont know if the qoudshop actually made any mistakes but if they did i wouldnt mind unless it was happening to everyone.

Dave400ex
04-22-2002, 03:40 PM
Man what is your Guys Problems? Geez Me and NACS like talking to each other. I know I have Posted a lot lately and that will Stop. I`m not going to Post near as much. I just want to Read.

Foxrage
04-22-2002, 03:55 PM
I have slowed way down on posting. I always ask questions or reply about some one whens the last time you have seen a post where we went on forever poasting back and forth.

cbrown400ex
04-22-2002, 03:58 PM
If you order from c&d racing your fronts will come directly from elka. And your rear set-up(springs etc...) will too. They do the re-valve and clean-up in house. CJ

trx400ex
04-22-2002, 04:11 PM
Originally posted by BANSHEEadam

heh..anyone else think Leo should rename the forums to "Nacs400ex and Warriorman's Personal Chatbox"???? Come on guys..you either repeat or contradict yourselves with every uninformative post. I'm really not flaming you..just try to sit back, read, and learn, and not voice an opinion after every post. Sorry if I offended you, that wasn't my intention.. but it's getting worse lately.

Adam

AMEN, i woulda said the same thing, im just not as clever with words:D

edit* im not meaning to flame you guys or anything either, no offence,ok?

Foxrage
04-22-2002, 04:43 PM
Just cause we have time to post stuff alot i havent talk to warriorman about much for a couple days you guys are waisting more posts talking about us and making us back ourselves up then we post in a week. If you dont like it just ignore it there is that option and i guess thats why they have it on here.

Sparky416ex
04-22-2002, 05:52 PM
Should have got axis

Foxrage
04-22-2002, 06:35 PM
Did you get your axis yet and do you have a pic of them?

trx400ex
04-22-2002, 06:40 PM
axis cost too much

Sparky416ex
04-22-2002, 07:03 PM
Axis are 1200 dollars thats not much more than elka. No i dont have them yet im supposed to have them by may 15. I will post a pic shortly.

mrusk
04-22-2002, 07:08 PM
Originally posted by trx400ex

AMEN, i woulda said the same thing, im just not as clever with words:D

edit* im not meaning to flame you guys or anything either, no offence,ok?

LOL yea i couldn't of thought of that either.. And i am not meaning to flame on them either it is just true..

matt

Sparky416ex
04-22-2002, 07:10 PM
Axis are 1200 dollars thats not much more than elka. No i dont have them yet im supposed to have them by may 15. I will post a pic shortly.

Nausty
04-22-2002, 09:07 PM
is that including rear cuz mine cost 900 for fronts

cdalejef
04-22-2002, 09:12 PM
You gave $900 for just the front Elka's?

04-22-2002, 09:13 PM
$900 for the front Elka's??? If you got them from C&D Racing you would not pay that much. Were they fully adjustable?

Nausty
04-22-2002, 10:53 PM
oh wait n/m $740 because for some reason my dad was exageration saying the shocks costed 1200 bucks when i blew out the rear shock and I was thinking the rear shock cost 300 so I got the 900. but in total everything was just over a grand.

Dave400ex
04-23-2002, 08:38 PM
$900 is a lot of Money. That`s up there with PEP. Quadshop will get you some Good Deals.

Nausty, I`m sure my Dad would be Mad if I got New Shocks and something went wrong too. Have you Called C&D or Elka yet?

Nausty
04-23-2002, 08:54 PM
Originally posted by Nausty
oh wait n/m $740 because for some reason my dad was exageration saying the shocks costed 1200 bucks when i blew out the rear shock and I was thinking the rear shock cost 300 so I got the 900. but in total everything was just over a grand.

Originally posted by Nausty

update: Well looks like he is gonna revalve it for me and fix the seal:D and should be here before this weekend and is paying for the shipping:D