PDA

View Full Version : spark plug

yellow_screamer
12-03-2004, 04:55 PM
i was checking over my quad, the spark plug boot is huge, and is there any good way to get the spark plug out?? It is way down there.....poor design. Don't get me wrong I love hondas but the thing is difficult to get out. Thanks

sled_ed 300ex
12-03-2004, 05:25 PM
whats your bike man!!:confused:

Shawn H
12-03-2004, 05:39 PM
How else do ya get a spark plug to fire in a 4 stroke its way done there because of the head?

There is no way around it and cant be a poor design.

You have to use the wrench they give ya or 1 like it?

sled_ed 300ex
12-03-2004, 05:43 PM
yeah unscrew it and take it out with your hand!!

yellow_screamer
12-03-2004, 06:26 PM
all right smart guy, I was going to take it out with a ratchet and plug socket, but when i pulled on the extension to pull it out it felt like i the socket was going to come off, then how would I get the plug out? I was just curious if other peole had any ideas or if you can actually reach down there, i thought i would ask before i dropped my socket down there......because of your responses maybe i won't ask next time....

yellow_screamer
12-03-2004, 06:26 PM
it's a 450r

sled_ed 300ex
12-03-2004, 06:40 PM
i was`nt making fun of you but if its 450 i dont really no!
you can tri using netlenoses or put the plugs cap on and pull!!!!
sorry man if i pissed you off!

rowlrag
12-03-2004, 07:42 PM
Originally posted by yellow_screamer
all right smart guy, I was going to take it out with a ratchet and plug socket, but when i pulled on the extension to pull it out it felt like i the socket was going to come off, then how would I get the plug out? I was just curious if other peole had any ideas or if you can actually reach down there, i thought i would ask before i dropped my socket down there......because of your responses maybe i won't ask next time....
If you bought it new it should have come with a tool kit, pull out the boot then on the right side of the head is a small hole, blow air in it, it's there to let you blow out dirt around the bottom of the plug, if it won't stay in the socket find a small piece of fuel line and go fishin trying to get hose onto the pulg, or a magnet. Owners manuals are awesome too.

ZRider400
12-03-2004, 08:08 PM

dude...there is a plug wrench that comes with the quad. it has a piece of rubber in it that hooks onto the top of the plug and lets you pull it out of the head. then when your done..... you wiggle it and it pops off.

04trx450R
12-03-2004, 08:09 PM
The plug wrench that comes with the bike has a rubber insert in it to hold the plug when you pull it out

D-7#61-450r
12-04-2004, 08:23 AM
If you do have a problem getting you plug out it isn't to hard to remove your fenders and gas tank to gain access. This way is harder but is just another way. Also you can access your valves to check them to.

Shawn H
12-04-2004, 08:35 AM

Sorry Bro
You were not very descrptive I tried to help you politely?:huh

yellow_screamer
12-04-2004, 08:53 AM
i didn't see that i hadn't mentioned which quad I had, no hard feelings, thanks for the tips though, I've never actually had to use the spark plug wrench that come with a quad, it's always worked better to use a socket.......thanks

ZRider400
12-04-2004, 09:21 AM
ya well with a 450r or CRF style motor...you def need to use the one that comes with it.

ms250r
12-04-2004, 09:51 AM
THE EASIEST WAY I FOUND IS ONCE U GET THE SPARK PLUG LOOSE TAKE THE WRECH OUT AND PUT THE SPARK PLUG CAP BACK IN AND PUSH IT DOWN ON IT AND IT WILL HOLD IT ON AND THEN U CAN PULL IT OUT EASILY.
BECAUSE I COULDNT GET THE SPARK PLUG WRENCH TO HOLD ON EITHER.

ckasper18
12-04-2004, 10:08 AM
With the stock spark plug wrench that comes in your tool kit just add a small piece of duck tape to the inside of the wrench which will make the plug fit tighter to the wrench if you do it right it will work awesome good luck................Chris