PDA

View Full Version : pro-production classes aren't really helping

250r(quadman19)
12-03-2004, 03:28 PM
this is just my opinion on the pro production class.
wheres all the or any support that this class was supposed to bring?? i give suzuki mad props for actually doing something at the races. yamaha and honda are just sitting around and watchinf themselves sell all there 450rs and yfz because as long as there bikes sell there going to try and stay out of the atv nationals and focus on the bikes. the production class should really be called the YFZ class cause thats all there is racing in it. and if the class was open to all bikes like 250rs and custom 450s then the factories could see that they need to race the level to match a real racing quad instead of fast trail bike.the 450rs and yfzs are nice but they AREN"T MADE FOR RACING ON AN MX TRACk yet! thats just my thoughts what do yall think?

Quad18star
12-03-2004, 03:39 PM
I'll agree with you on this one .... I don't see how the production class has helped any , besides getting Gust and a few lucky others a better sponsorship . Like you said ... Yamaha and Honda are just sitting back , watching all their YFZ and TRX sales go up , cuz the ATVA rules change .

I hardly find it to be a "production" class , when they aren't usuing stock suspension components .... hardly any stock engine components ... etc . They say they are running stock frames , but Gust gets a new ATV every race . So really his frame isn't being put to the abuse of a 10 round series .

I think if it's gunna be a "production" class ... you should have to run the bike the way it is setup from the factory . All this rule really did , was eliminate the aftermarket frame .... so it saves you $2500 .

I think i remember reading somewhere when this class and set of rules was passed , that they were doing it to bring down the cost of racing . So you spend $17 000 to get a bike setup with all suspension and engine work and need to replace a $700 frame every race ... or you spend $20 000 on a full blown aftermarket frame bike and no need to be replacing the frame every race .... totals add up to about the same at the end of the year .

Seems like this was just a way for the Association to kiss *** to try and get the Factories involved .

Just my $0.02

quadrcr161
12-03-2004, 03:43 PM
i agree, but do we need race ready atv's available to the general public? the 450r and yfz is too much for the everyday trail rider already. if i known this winter, i would have picked up a crf conversion instead of the 450r.

Quad18star
12-03-2004, 03:58 PM
Originally posted by quadrcr161
i agree, but do we need race ready atv's available to the general public? the 450r and yfz is too much for the everyday trail rider already. if i known this winter, i would have picked up a crf conversion instead of the 450r.

I'd have done the same . If i knew I wasn't gunna be riding MX , I don't think I'd have bought my YFZ . Somethign with maybe reverse and a more comfortable seat would have been in the garage .

And if I'd have known that the price of aftermarket framed bikes would have shot down like it has ... maybe a CRF in an aftermarket chassis would have been an option also .

SRH
12-03-2004, 06:26 PM
production class is helping get quads out of slump, more and more people in my area are getting into race becuase they can buy a yfz put nerfs and teht on and race it and be happy, who wants to spend 14 grand on a conversion quad when they can buy a yfz put a pipe on it and have more power than they need and do minimal suspension work and be satisfied, and a 400ex or z 400 is by no means competitive out of the crate with worked stuff before the 2 450s you were looking at 3 grand minimum to be somewhat competitive, we are getting closer and closer to getting the support and exposure every racer has worked for for the last 15-20 years

genxracer
12-03-2004, 08:07 PM
SRH made some good points. Even though a competitive rider still needs to spend a lot of money to get his machine up to par, the average guy can go to the dealership and buy a new quad instead of searching want ads or ebay for some old 250R, this makes things much more appealing for someone new to get into it.
I do wish they put more limits/restrictions on the production class. Gust said it himself at birch creek, he said something like....he would like to race completly stock from the factory , like he does on snowmobiles, makes for great racing and forces the factories to build better machines.... he said it on the podium after he won.

Quad18star
12-03-2004, 08:43 PM
Originally posted by genxracer

I do wish they put more limits/restrictions on the production class. Gust said it himself at birch creek, he said something like....he would like to race completly stock from the factory , like he does on snowmobiles, makes for great racing and forces the factories to build better machines.... he said it on the podium after he won.

That's what I'm talking about . Gust's machine is hardly a Production quad . What does he run that is stock on the quad? The frame ( which gets replaced every race) and his plastics . That's about it . It's a false claim that Suzuki makes , when they say ... "Here buy our quad and you can be just like Doug Gust" ... Truth of the matter is .... Gust's machine is probably worth $20 000 . Add up his a-arms , swingarm , suspension , Yosh motor kit , etc etc .... His bike can't really be called a "Production" machine .

I could see it being a production class with all these goodies added to the quad , IF the factories did liek they do in the snowmobile industry . Both Bombardier ( aka Ski-Doo) and Arctic Cat have both formed their "Race Division" . You want the exact same sled that Blair Morgan uses to win championships .... you ain't gunna be able to just walk into your dealership and buy it . Ski-Doo only produces a limited number of machines . Only 150 Ski-Doo REV 440s race sleds are produced each year ... the rider sends his resume into the manufacturer and they'll send the dealership back a letter saying whether the racer has been approved or not to buy the sled . Arctic Cat does the same thing .

I would think this would be more of a "production" class than anything else . You are not "lieing" to the customer and telling him ... " Well if you buy Suzuki , you're riding the same bike as Gust has" . I used Suzuki as an example ... but i could have very well used Yamaha , Honda , Polaris etc . Like I said ... if it's a Production class it should be run with a quad that you get out of the crate ....not an ATV that comes in a crate and 3/4s of it's parts never get used .

Bush0102
12-03-2004, 08:48 PM
Greg, i would like to take this opportunity to remind you that your candian $.02 is worth about $.01 American....:D:blah:

and his plastics arent even stock...at Loretta's he ran that custom black plastic

Quad18star
12-03-2004, 09:06 PM
Originally posted by Bush0102
Greg, i would like to take this opportunity to remind you that your candian $.02 is worth about $.01 American....:D:blah:

and his plastics arent even stock...at Loretta's he ran that custom black plastic

LMAO ..... no no ..... my $.02 is worth about $.0185 right now ...... our dollar is on the rise ... woohoo . Soon enough I'll be able to buy from the USA and not get bent over backwards everytime .

Hrmmm ... so I guess all that is stock on his machine is the frame ??? :confused:

The Association , shouldn't have called it Pro Production .... they should have just left it the Pro class and made a rule that no aftermarket frames are allowed .

I got a question for you guys .... I seen Lonestar is producing replica Yamaha frame . Will these frames be allowed in the Production class?? Seeing that the geometry isn't altered . If they are allowed .... that sorta defeats the "Production" aspect of the whole thing . The racers will be jumping right back into aftermarket frames .

400exrules
12-03-2004, 09:44 PM
i just wanna see every race on frickin tv :grr: :mad: i love lookin at all the gncc pics after the races that u guys post on here, and i would love even more to goto the races but it would make me happy if they were on tv more often, and the whole race was covered

Quad18star
12-03-2004, 09:51 PM
Originally posted by 400exrules
i just wanna see every race on frickin tv :grr: :mad: i love lookin at all the gncc pics after the races that u guys post on here, and i would love even more to goto the races but it would make me happy if they were on tv more often, and the whole race was covered

That would be nice to see . Only type of Off road racing I get to see on TV , is the MX series that is run up here . :grr:

400exrules
12-03-2004, 09:53 PM
it would be even better if it was on espn or somethin cuz i dont have outdoor channel and im thinkin about gettin direct tv juts so i can have OLN and outdoor channel so i can catch the atv shows and races (when they are rarely on)

SRH
12-03-2004, 09:59 PM
Originally posted by Quad18star
That would be nice to see . Only type of Off road racing I get to see on TV , is the MX series that is run up here . :grr:

i love wactching the cmrc races there so much more interesting than a us national, i also like watching the corr offroad series

Quad18star
12-03-2004, 10:27 PM
Originally posted by SRH
i love wactching the cmrc races there so much more interesting than a us national, i also like watching the corr offroad series

LOL ... damn you get the CMRC stuff down in your neck of the woods??

I like watching the 125 class cuz it's always a battle . I can always tell you whos gunna win the 250 class . JSR or Hoffman . JSR has dominated everything for the last few years . Our caliber of riders is nowhere near the talent of guys like Carmichael . Just think JSR races up here ... he takes 1st palce with usually a 45 second lead . He races in the USA and he's around 10th place . Same goes with Jasmin Plante .... he races the ATV series up here and he laps guys ... races down in the USA and he's never top 5 .

Reason being ... more competition in the USA and better tracks .