PDA

View Full Version : SideWinder Chain Compared to Stock Chain?

TargetBow
04-20-2002, 04:02 PM
I recently purchased a sidewinder chain and sprocket set with the understanding that the sidewinder chain is beefed up with oversized pins, bushings and sideplates. It is there (ATV GOLD SERIES 0-RING CHAIN). When I compared the sidewinder chain to the stock chain that came with my 2001 400EX, the stock chain pin diameter is .003 larger than the sidewinder chain pin diameter, the sidewinder master link fits loosely into my stock chain but snuggly into the sidewinder chain and the side plates on the stock chain are slightly larger than the sidewinder chain. Does this mean that they sent me the wrong chain or are they misleading people of the actual construction of the chain on there web site? I know that the stock chain is more than likely not made of the chrome-moly steel that sidewinder states there chain is made of but is the stock chain just as strong as the sidewinder chain they sent me or do you think the sidewinder chain is stronger than the stock chain even though it is smaller in the pin diameter and sideplate area? I am asking this question here because I called sidewinder and asked them but the guy there said he is just a sales person and can't answer that for me and I should contact there tech department. I E-mailed the tech department 2 times with no response and then I E-mailed the costumer information with the first 2 e-mails sent to the tech department pasted to the e-mail and asked them to help me out but still no response. When I first called to order the sales person sounded like he knew his stuff but after the purchase I have recieved no help on this question. Please, if you have any good information on this ( Quadra-Max "Gold" Series O-Ring Chain) that sidewinder sells please let me know so I do not feel that I got ripped off. Till now I only ever heard good thing about sidewinder products and I do not want to give them a bum rap if they are selling me a top quality product and this is just a misprint on there web site.
Thanks for any info on this subject. Ed

ChadEXer
04-22-2002, 09:13 AM
I got the sidewinder stuff too. the Sidewinder chain I have is rated at over 14,000# of tensile strength compared to prolly about #7,000(not sure) on the stocker. As far as the pin thing goes I dont know. I havent compared mine

PhilMoore
01-05-2003, 12:38 PM
Targetbow,
Did you ever get your question answered about the pin size?

I see Sidewinder still says the pin size is larger. I have my EX apart, and noticed the chain and sprockets are almost due for replacement, and I am thinking about getting the sidewinder system. Their website sounds like an infomercial, but it does seem convincing. Of course if some of there "faqs" are incorrect or misleading, that really puts a damper on my confidence.

I got my 400EX in September of 1998 and it is still on the original chain and sprockets. If I thought getting OEM chain and sprockets would last another 4 years, I would go ahead and get them. I know on my other ATV's I have not had any good luck with aftermarket chains or sprockets. They seem to wear out much faster than the original that came with the machine. That is except for the Banshee. My Banshee is only a little over a year old and the front sprocket is getting pretty tough shape already. The wear is even more noticable on that than the 4 year old 400EX!

phatswinn
01-05-2003, 12:46 PM
my sidewinder front sprocket stripped my countershaft, they are very strong, but i know that i will be using aluminum front sprocket and rear sidewinder with my sidewinder shain from now on..after i get it fixed..

Stevo
01-05-2003, 12:58 PM
My stock chain and sprockets lasted about a 1 year and ahalf if that until the front sprocket lost about all the teeth but two. I got the sidewinder and it still looks brand new! There's a lil bit of wear but not much at all. I never really adjust the chain either, their pricey but worth it!

01-05-2003, 01:36 PM
X-Rings own. On my CR125, I have Primary Drive sprockets (cost me 15$ for the back and 6$ for the front) and an X-Ring chain. After 6 months, absolutely no wear on either sprocket or the chain. The aluminum Renthals and standard 520 chain I had first lasted 2 months of easy riding before it was shot..

TRX_Thumper
01-05-2003, 04:38 PM
yeap aluminum sprockets are suppose to be lighter weight...who cares about 1/2 a pound...there nothing like stock chain and sprockets ive always had great luck with them

OutlawEX
01-05-2003, 05:54 PM
Jam i was considering a sidewinder :(

tprender
01-05-2003, 07:55 PM
You will find out that sidewinder is about the same quailty as Durablue. There chain has a lifetime guarranty, but try an get it fixed. But a good stell front and rear and a good o-ring chain for less money and it will wear about the same as the sidewinder.
when you ordered the chain the person could answer all your questions, now he knows nothing and is passing you on to the next person.

YZROOSTINYA
01-06-2003, 04:34 AM
i paid 256 for chain and sprockets for my yz 250(99) and I went with the suppossedly indestructable stainless rear, well they were the biggest peices of junk i ever paid for, i went through them in one seasn, the cheesy stock yamaha sprockets lasted longer and weighed a **** of alot less, my bud ran them on his 400 and he didn't like them either, there chain lube is awesome though, if you dont mind paying 16 bucks a bottle. i contacted them and they never responded. i went through 2 front sprockets in one season, ripped the teeth right off it.

i dont reccomend them, i still have the stock honda sprockets now and there holding up great.

wheeltrax
01-06-2003, 05:02 AM
well thanks for responding. Me and my friends were gonna try there stuff for our quads and i think we will continue to stick with what we have

Predator36
01-06-2003, 05:37 AM
The best DID chain with steel Sunstar or stock sprockets will outlast Sidewinder and is a lot less money.

ChadEXer
01-06-2003, 08:32 AM
Quote from Predator36 "The best DID chain with steel Sunstar or stock sprockets will outlast Sidewinder and is a lot less money." Man give me some of that stuff your smokin,,,I could use a little buzz too!!

Sidewinder is by FAR the best chain and sprockets made today! I dont care what some of you say but I can tell you first hand there isnt anything else that comes close,,,and i think I make plenty of power to punish my drive system too!! Renthal sucks and so do all the other aluminum sprockets on the market! Sidewinder stuff is more expensive but what they say is right, there is nothing else to compare it too,,,well worth the money,,,,,but remember, Sidewinder has there "eceonomy" line just like any other manufacturer,,,so if your serious about getting the best for your ATV,,spare the cost and get the TI-Moly chain system and Ti sprockets that will last longer than your ATV will!!!