PDA

View Full Version : chain wax

44oEX
12-03-2004, 08:37 AM
Does anyone use chain wax instead of chain lube? How those it work? does it last any good? and how often do you have to lube and clean the chain?

Thanks

dirtmomma
12-03-2004, 08:40 AM
WE JUST started using it, seems to stay on better I think, we are using the Castrol Wax!! Can't really tell you anymore than that. sorrry :)

TC426EX
12-03-2004, 08:41 AM
Ok, Chain wax is HANDS DOWN the worst stuff to use on your chain ever... It is super messy, and any overspray that hits your swingarm or rear end parts will gather a thick, dirty grime that even the hands of Cinderella couldnt get clean... Do not waste your money on the chain wax, and stick to the lube... I honestly threw a whole bottle of it out....

F-16Guy
12-03-2004, 08:42 AM
It works good. If you have an o-ring chain, you really don't need to "lube" it, anyway, since the lubrication is sealed in when the chain is made. That's the good thing about chain wax. Once it sets for about 10 minutes, it turns into a waxy film that inhibits corrosion, and doesn't attract dirt like oily or greasy lubricants do.

44oEX
12-03-2004, 08:49 AM
Originally posted by TC426EX
Ok, Chain wax is HANDS DOWN the worst stuff to use on your chain ever... It is super messy, and any overspray that hits your swingarm or rear end parts will gather a thick, dirty grime that even the hands of Cinderella couldnt get clean... Do not waste your money on the chain wax, and stick to the lube... I honestly threw a whole bottle of it out....

you say that it gets thick and stuff but isn't it what they use on the motorcycle to keep it clean like harleys.

I just want to keep my swingarm clean

300exOH
12-03-2004, 08:56 AM
Good old WD-40

44oEX
12-03-2004, 08:58 AM
it will still get the swing arm dirty. and it's not good for O-rings

F-16Guy
12-03-2004, 08:58 AM
Originally posted by 300exOH
Good old WD-40
Good for the metal, bad for the o-rings.:D

The key to keeping your swingarm clean is taking the extra 30 seconds to wipe off the overspray when you're done. I know, that's a lot of work.:rolleyes:

300exOH
12-03-2004, 09:00 AM
Originally posted by F-16Guy

Actually I believe it says on the can it is safe for rubber

44oEX
12-03-2004, 09:00 AM
maybe but it's still messy

300exOH
12-03-2004, 09:03 AM
Originally posted by 44oEX
maybe but it's still messy

In a way it is but I've found it wipes right off. Much easier than chain lube anyhow.:ermm:

XANDADA
12-03-2004, 10:09 AM
I used to use maxima chain wax. IMO, Stuff sucks!

Pro's -
works great to repell water
doesn't "fling" off onto other parts

but.........

Neg's -
too much debree (dirt & grit) gets stuck in the waxy film which is just as bad if not worse than not lubin the thing in the first place!
since it repels water so good its a pain in the arse to wash off overspray or clean dirty chain/parts...

44oEX
12-03-2004, 10:36 AM
Originally posted by F-16Guy

The key to keeping your swingarm clean is taking the extra 30 seconds to wipe off the overspray when you're done. I know, that's a lot of work.:rolleyes:

it's not the over sray that I don't like. that I can clean easy on the swinger. But it's when you ride and it goes all over the motor and airbox, on the sub frame.... and I don't put to much. That it the part I don't like. cause cleaning the motor around the front sproket is a pain in the ***

Juggalo
12-03-2004, 02:24 PM
Originally posted by 300exOH
Good old WD-40

wd40 not only ATTRACTS dirt to your chain but it flings off as soon as you go for a ride. so all yoru doin is hurting your chain when you use WD40.

on the chain wax subject tho i used to use chain wax but i decided it was way too messy for the benifits it provided. i got that crap all over my sprockets and swingarm and stuff and if i hadnt replaced all that stuff it would still be there today. now i am usin golden spectro chain lube, it looks like spit when you put it on the chain but its really tacky so it stays good and is easy to apply, it also last a while and i like it way more then chain wax.

44oEX
12-03-2004, 02:34 PM
what do they use on motorbike to keep them clean?

44oEX
12-04-2004, 02:40 PM
bump

Toadz400
12-04-2004, 10:17 PM
I used this PJ1 "No-Fly" stuff I think it was called, I thought it worked pretty good...none of it flew off after I let it settle in.

Also, WD-40 in theory would not be good for an o-ring chain because it displaces oil and water, so it would actually be taking the lubricant out of the o-rings...right?

wheeltrax
12-04-2004, 11:23 PM
I was under the impression it only displaced water.. hence the "WD" WD = Water Displacement. And the 40 was the number of times they tried the formula before getting the one they have today.. hence WD-40

Toadz400
12-04-2004, 11:36 PM
Originally posted by wheeltrax
I was under the impression it only displaced water.. hence the "WD" WD = Water Displacement. And the 40 was the number of times they tried the formula before getting the one they have today.. hence WD-40

Yea, it says it right on the side of the bottle. Pretty interesting how they came up with the name. Stuff smells good too :D .

speedy400
12-05-2004, 02:53 PM
I with you neal. PJ1 is the only stuff I use now.-darren

Originally posted by Toadz400
I used this PJ1 "No-Fly" stuff I think it was called, I thought it worked pretty good...none of it flew off after I let it settle in.

RIDER11X
12-05-2004, 08:15 PM
Chain wax, does have a downfall in my experience in that it falls a little short on protecting the chain from corrosion, compared to using chain lube. It actually seems to trap moisture under it if the chain was just washed on the bike or quad.
I had really good luck with Maxima Chain Guard synthetic chain lube. It protects against corrosion very well and seems to last a good while.
But, lately I have been cheap, and I buy the 1 gallon cans of WD-40 and pour it into a spray bottle, and I do like it alot. This may not be the hot set up for duners that like to to have extremely clean quads, but for us east coast guys, that spray WD-40 all over the quad before a muddy race to keep mud from sticking, it works well.:cool:

04EXdude
12-06-2004, 09:01 PM
Has anyone ever used 80w or 90w gear oil on your chain? You know, that is what the owners manual suggest. :rolleyes: