PDA

View Full Version : Hard starting 400 ex

Aarons 01 400EX
12-02-2004, 11:44 PM
It has gas,spark, and the fuse is good. The quad has been sitting since my last outing where it was being a PITA to start. I crank it over and over, and then it will backfire. I've gone through the wires on the bike checking to see if everything was plugged in good and everything seems fine. I changed the plug and cleaned the carb out(it was running poorly when it did start when I had it out last).

Any suggestions??

Rico
12-03-2004, 06:14 AM
Putting a 40 or 42 pilot jet in a 400ex is a VERY good thing for helping these cold natured beasts.

I also recommend NEVER using the choke. Pump the gas 3 times, hit the starter, pump the gas 3 more times hit the starter, do this a few times and it will fire up.

Have you added any performance mods to the motor recently???

ILGNCC400EX
12-03-2004, 06:28 AM
sounds like you might cheack your valve clearnce they might be a little tight

nosliw
12-03-2004, 11:16 AM
Originally posted by Aarons 01 400EX
It has gas,spark, and the fuse is good. The quad has been sitting since my last outing where it was being a PITA to start. I crank it over and over, and then it will backfire. I've gone through the wires on the bike checking to see if everything was plugged in good and everything seems fine. I changed the plug and cleaned the carb out(it was running poorly when it did start when I had it out last).

Any suggestions??

same thing happened to my brotherinlaws ds650. we just got done piping and jetting it and it wouldn't start. i tried pull starting him with my 400ex (pretty funny site) and it wouldjust crank fora while and backfiring. spark plug sparked but was crummy lookin'.... soon replaced that and it runs good (for a bombardier) now

nosliw
12-03-2004, 11:17 AM
Originally posted by nosliw
same thing happened to my brotherinlaws ds650. we just got done piping and jetting it and it wouldn't start. i tried pull starting him with my 400ex (pretty funny site) and it wouldjust crank fora while and backfiring. spark plug sparked but was crummy lookin'.... soon replaced that and it runs good (for a bombardier) now

edit-

sorry missed where you said you replaced the plug....:rolleyes:

dirt308
12-03-2004, 04:57 PM
Whats with everyone saying not to use the choke? I use mine all the time when its cold but never unless I need to. are there problems with the choke or something?

Old Head
12-03-2004, 07:47 PM
I use my choke also, and no throttle at all. just choke it and hit the button.

nosliw
12-03-2004, 09:42 PM
with a 42 pj you dont need to use it

Aarons 01 400EX
12-04-2004, 11:20 AM
I recently bought this thing. It is a 440, I don't know what jet is in the carb. It has gradually become harded to start. I was using the choke at first and it would fire up fine. If I push/tow it and pop the clutch in 2nd, it starts and runs just fine.

Aarons 01 400EX
12-04-2004, 07:27 PM
I had to get my battery recharged b/c I kept trying to start it. I'm wondering if the battery is bad and just has enough in it to turn it over? I just don't want to buy a $60 battery for it from autozone.

chucked
12-04-2004, 07:40 PM
it may have an aftermarket rev box, so a new battery may be called for.

Aarons 01 400EX
12-05-2004, 04:08 PM
Well, I bought a new battery and the thing fired right up. So I took it out to ride and it was spitting and sputtering. I took the seat off and one of my buddies says "your carb is twisted". My carb was leaning to the right, I guess b/c the tank was sitting on it. I straightened it out and it ran fine for the rest of the day.

chucked
12-05-2004, 04:43 PM
Originally posted by Aarons 01 400EX
Well, I bought a new battery and the thing fired right up. So I took it out to ride and it was spitting and sputtering. I took the seat off and one of my buddies says "your carb is twisted". My carb was leaning to the right, I guess b/c the tank was sitting on it. I straightened it out and it ran fine for the rest of the day.

see, when people listen to me good things happen!

Aarons 01 400EX
12-05-2004, 05:13 PM
Actually, I took the battery to autozone last night so they could trickle charge it. And when I went to pick it up this A.M. it tested bad. I guess there wasn't enough juice to start it? :confused: