PDA

View Full Version : 250R engine cuts out at full throttle

cheesecake
12-02-2004, 09:31 PM
What's up R riders. Need a little help. '87 250R, full throttle 1st, 2nd, go to hit 3rd gear and engine cuts out. Just like turning the ignition off. Back off to 1/2 throttle and it comes back to life, but barely runs. Let it idle a couple seconds and it will smooth out. I can 1/4 throttle around all day long, wide open 1st, 2nd cuts out. R and R carb, it was clean inside. HELP

genxracer
12-03-2004, 05:43 AM
sure your main jet didnt fall out? or clog?

RUNMYTA
12-03-2004, 06:26 AM
Coil is breaking down!! Trust me!:macho

JTRtrx250r
12-03-2004, 07:26 AM
sounds like a fuel delivery / jetting prob

Be sure the gascap vent hose isnt plugged (steering stems will fill up w/ chit and plug the vent hose ),

then be sure the petcock flows good, if so be sure the breather hoses from the carb arent clogged(last yr caked mine w/ mud and they both clogged..wouldnt run for chit)

if your still running summer jetting it might be lean w/ the winter cold, (suprises me how many ppl run the same jetting all yr:huh ..and wonder why it dont run right) Do a plug chop..put a load on the motor WFO in the gear that will hold, kill the motor and pull in the clutch simotainiously(sp) and check he plug...if its anything past a tan color ..then its too lean (grey/white-ish is bad!!). If its wet/black its too fat(rich), work your way up/down depending on where its is

If your compression is higher than stock ..try gapping the plug to 0.018. (btw...what is your compression?)

If none of that works t probably is your coil takin' a chit, also be sure you got a good connection on the ground wire(seen that reak havoc on ppl all on its own, prob not the deal but it dont hurt to check)

Good luck mang!;)

BTW..this should be in the 250R section:D

elite ATV1
12-03-2004, 12:18 PM
Originally posted by JTRtrx250r

Be sure the gascap vent hose isnt plugged (steering stems will fill up w/ chit and plug the vent hose ),

then be sure the petcock flows good, if so be sure the breather hoses from the carb arent clogged(last yr caked mine w/ mud and they both clogged..wouldnt run for chit)

if your still running summer jetting it might be lean w/ the winter cold, (suprises me how many ppl run the same jetting all yr:huh ..and wonder why it dont run right) Do a plug chop..put a load on the motor WFO in the gear that will hold, kill the motor and pull in the clutch simotainiously(sp) and check he plug...if its anything past a tan color ..then its too lean (grey/white-ish is bad!!). If its wet/black its too fat(rich), work your way up/down depending on where its is

If your compression is higher than stock ..try gapping the plug to 0.018. (btw...what is your compression?)

If none of that works t probably is your coil takin' a chit, also be sure you got a good connection on the ground wire(seen that reak havoc on ppl all on its own, prob not the deal but it dont hurt to check)

Good luck mang!;)

BTW..this should be in the 250R section:D

:macho :macho :macho

wilkin250r
12-03-2004, 12:41 PM
None of this makes any sense. I cannot think of one single reason that your quad would run in WOT in 2nd gear, but not in 3rd, unless your tranny was shot.

Have you tried running WOT in 2nd gear for long periods of time? Is it possible that your carb is running dry, but you coincidentally try to shift to 3rd gear at the same time, so you associate the problem with 3rd gear?

Have you determined that you actually have "power" in 2nd gear? If you're running like crap with no power in the higher RPMs, it would "seem" like it is running better in lower gears because you aren't loading the engine as much.

Your engine, carb, coil, intake, all of this stuff doesn't "see" gears or ground speed. If you are running WOT at 8000 rpms, you have the exact same airflow through your carb and reeds, the exact same fuel flow, and the exact same coil rotation speed whether you are in 1st gear or 6th gear. The components that affect jetting and how your bike runs DO NOT SEE GEARS. So it doesn't make sense to say your bike runs good in 2nd gear, but not in 3rd gear.

sam the brave
12-03-2004, 01:25 PM
main jet fell out

TheX1992
12-03-2004, 03:42 PM
Originally posted by wilkin250r
None of this makes any sense. I cannot think of one single reason that your quad would run in WOT in 2nd gear, but not in 3rd, unless your tranny was shot.

Have you tried running WOT in 2nd gear for long periods of time? Is it possible that your carb is running dry, but you coincidentally try to shift to 3rd gear at the same time, so you associate the problem with 3rd gear?

Have you determined that you actually have "power" in 2nd gear? If you're running like crap with no power in the higher RPMs, it would "seem" like it is running better in lower gears because you aren't loading the engine as much.

Your engine, carb, coil, intake, all of this stuff doesn't "see" gears or ground speed. If you are running WOT at 8000 rpms, you have the exact same airflow through your carb and reeds, the exact same fuel flow, and the exact same coil rotation speed whether you are in 1st gear or 6th gear. The components that affect jetting and how your bike runs DO NOT SEE GEARS. So it doesn't make sense to say your bike runs good in 2nd gear, but not in 3rd gear.

Mind you 1st and 2nd gear on a 250r are VERY short. What are the chances of you holding the throttle WFO in 1st or 2nd for more than .2 seconds? Your motor would over rev and blow. 3rd gear takes a little longer to wind out so you can hold it WFO longer.

cheesecake
12-03-2004, 08:33 PM
Originally posted by genxracer
sure your main jet didnt fall out? or clog? I R&R the carb, everything is tight and in place.

cheesecake
12-03-2004, 08:41 PM
Originally posted by JTRtrx250r

Good luck mang!;)

BTW..this should be in the 250R section:D When I mash the throttle from idle to wide open, it has a hesitation and then revs. In warmer weather it didn't. My compression is 230psi. Just checked it tonight after I blasted up the driveway, but it ran GOOD tonight.

bansheeguy77
12-03-2004, 11:58 PM
mmmmmmm cheesecake :o :chinese:

JTRtrx250r
12-04-2004, 12:23 AM
Originally posted by cheesecake
When I mash the throttle from idle to wide open, it has a hesitation and then revs. In warmer weather it didn't. My compression is 230psi. Just checked it tonight after I blasted up the driveway, but it ran GOOD tonight. well just to be sure on the compression..ALWAYS use more than 1 gauge to double check it and do it w/ a COLD motor,

230 psi is alot and DEFINITLY requires 110-114octane race gas

as for jetting it ...if its the same jetting you ran in the warm weather its leaning out b/c of the cold, try and go up a size or 2 and see what it does, but w/ that much comp..you'll be pulling out your wig if the octane isnt sufficiant for the compression(just throwin' that out there)

racerx573
12-04-2004, 03:36 AM
What year CDI? If it is a 86-87 that could be the culprit. Get an '89.

genxracer
12-04-2004, 03:18 PM
Im thinkin lack of octane....seen it before, tried every thing to get this R running right and turned out it just needed race gas, put in the gas and it ran perfect, night and day dif

Stevie-D
12-04-2004, 05:55 PM
possibly water in your gas? my truck was running really chitty for the past few days. wouldn't hardly rev past 2 grand today. so i'm getting ready to go to napa for a new fuel pump. i saw a bottle of fuel/water evaporator i had on the shelf. dumped it in and let it idle for a few minutes. runs like a champ again.

don't know if this is your problem or not, just an idea:chinese: :p

exrider360
12-04-2004, 07:08 PM
something isnt right

beerock
12-05-2004, 01:19 PM
didnt i just post in here?

you could try gapping the plug down to .20

could also be a lean condition, usually they cut out if your lean.

or a bad ground.. check your connections