PDA

View Full Version : Raptor Compression Ring Question

RaptorRacrr04
12-02-2004, 08:29 PM
I ordered a set of OEM rings for my 04 raptor, and the 2 compression rings are 2 diffrent colors. one is black and the other is grey(diffrent coatings i guess) does it matter which groove they go in??

mojoe2878
12-03-2004, 05:03 AM
yes it matters which groove they go in.
look at the real close and see if they are the same thickness, if ones a little thicker then you can match it up to its groove.
they also need to be facing a certian way, which ever side of the ring that has a letter or something stamped in it usually faces up.

MIKE400EX
12-03-2004, 07:23 AM
If it comes down to an educated (?) guess: Look at the outer surface of the rings. If one looks like it is layered, kind of like a different color band in the middle of the face, it is a coated (probably plasma) ring. That would be the top ring. The second or lower compression ring (not oil) is usually iron and will be all one uniform color except for maybe any paint blotches/marks. Of course as MOJO said, look for a thickness difference first. Paint dots, dimples, stamped letters, or other such marking on a ring generally indicates the top surface (install facing up). Don't forget to check the end gap(s)!
Good Luck!

RaptorRacrr04
12-03-2004, 01:37 PM
ok i took a closer look at the rings, and one ring has a R on it(the solid color ring) and the other ring is 2 colored, dark grey and light grey around the face So this would be the top ring correct??the thicknesses are the same

MIKE400EX
12-03-2004, 02:13 PM
The two colored/lighter one should be the top ring. Not always a guarantee, but is 99.99% of the time. Does the other comp. ring have any identification? There used to be a thread on here leading to service manuals - maybe you can find the manual online and check if it has any useful ring id info.