PDA

View Full Version : r/c airplanes

big_poppa49
12-02-2004, 08:23 PM
Anybody here got one or has flew one?? I aint but I think it would be fun. I have big open fields to fly it in. Here's the one I want for x-mas. If Santa brings it :(

http://www3.jcpenney.com/jcp/Products.aspx?DeptID=0&CatID=04109&Grptyp=PRD&ItemId=0aa691e

400exrules
12-02-2004, 08:24 PM
errr i flew one on vice city.....had to drop bombs on da cubans :devil:

big_poppa49
12-02-2004, 08:27 PM
lol, yeah I couldn't fly that thing for chit

Ralph
12-02-2004, 08:31 PM
are you 8 and up?

Destructo
12-02-2004, 08:34 PM
I had a nitro .45 motor powered one, didn't have ailrons on it though, was mostly a beginner plane. I paid 200 bucks for it used from a guy, flew it a few times, lost it one time because my battery for the servos in the plane itself went dead while in flight and it just went straight forever.

The nice thing about the wing over planes with a v-shaped wing is that they right themselves pretty easily so they re-cover and are easier to fly for a beginner.

I have never flown one of those cheap planes from toysrus or whatever, mine was a full-out built from a kit out of balsa wood plane. Also had one of those radios that has the trainer mode so and instructor can take over in-case the newb loses it.

Oh yeah, and mine had a 5ft wingspan, with a removable wing of course like all of them have. At the time I was young and the wing was as tall as I was. I saved up all summer for that thing mowing the yard :p

hondaracer305
12-02-2004, 09:50 PM
i had 2 of those v-shaped wing over planes, Firebird XL, damn thing was sooo much fun, i would charge up that son-of-a-gun and fly it at the football field, i was good at flying those things, then my dad crashed both of them :mad:

6arett
12-02-2004, 10:48 PM
Nice JC Penny :p

MY450R
12-03-2004, 06:52 AM
i have a nitro and an electric plane
they are very fun but it was hard to learn at first

Tommy 17
12-03-2004, 09:29 AM
i have 4 of them... we only ever flew 3 of them thou (we never finished a sweet arse p-51 b4 we gave up on it)...

i was flyin them when i was 8 years old... i started out on a simple RC airplane then i moved up to a gas powered wing above the body (easier to fly)... that one went crazy on me one day and was heading towards people so i put it into the ground and destroyed it... the 3rd one was a nice under the body winged one and it was harder to fly but i flew it for 2 years or so b4 we started on the p-51 and eventually just ran out of time to do it... i still have all my airplanes thou... one even has a camera on it so i can take pictures way up there...

we use to fly at a local RC airplane club... the ones i had were WAY to dangerous to fly around anything public... plus i had a few guys there teachin me how to fly them... u wouldn't believe how hard it is to land the damn things!!!!

its a VERY VERY VERY expensive hobby... when i go home tonight i'll get pics of the planes i got and the one crashed...

Scott-300ex
12-03-2004, 11:00 AM
Originally posted by 400exrules
errr i flew one on vice city.....had to drop bombs on da cubans :devil:

if your talking about the helicopter that is hard, i borrowed vice city from my cousin and i have tryed that misson 17 times and still can't get it, i alway blow up when im on my 3rd or 4th bomb:grr:

JUSTINcredible
12-03-2004, 11:07 AM
but friend has a sweet r/c gas helicopter. but i never got to fly it:(

PHAT400
12-03-2004, 11:53 AM
go here for more info on park flyers..

http://www.hobby-lobby.com/

big_poppa49
12-03-2004, 02:36 PM
Does that airplane in the link I posted have the wing above the body like you guys say that are easier to fly??

Destructo
12-03-2004, 02:51 PM
Originally posted by big_poppa49
Does that airplane in the link I posted have the wing above the body like you guys say that are easier to fly??

Yes, thats a little kiddy plane, it should be a peice of cake to fly :p

bulkdriverlp
12-03-2004, 02:53 PM
r/c planes are a money pit

big_poppa49
12-03-2004, 03:04 PM
well I have never flown one so I need something easy to fly.

Tommy 17
12-03-2004, 03:33 PM
yeah that one has the wings above the body... its easier to fly...

JD400exrider
12-03-2004, 06:27 PM
Tommy What makes it very very expensive. The crashes or all the parts and radio control chit and all. What is the average cost to get a plane and all the chit to get started ? They must crash allot with complete destruction. Start over ?

Tommy 17
12-03-2004, 06:46 PM
i haven't done this in 4 years so i can't gurantee these prices are still accurate... and its been awhile but i'll ball park them... so if i'm off DONT KILL ME! haha

plane 100$ - couple thousand easily... depends on what u buy

motor 100 - couple thousand (they make jet engines for them haha)

radio 200 - 3,000 depending on how many differnt things it can do (throttle, steering, bomb dropping, cameras, all kinda neat stuff)

servos anywhere from 20 - couple hundred and u need usually one for the throttle, rudder, alerone, evlevators, and one if u had fake bombs to drop them, one for a camera, one to bring up the landing gear...

fuel cost like 20$ a gallon if i remember right because they run of nitro mathane...

glow plugs (usally one a flight so thats 2$ there)

batteries to run everything

starter to start the motor

hotpack to turn the glow plug on

theres lots and lots of stuff and i guess its a hobby of how much u want to get involved... yes u can go out and buy the plane jane 4 channel set up and have a great time (we did) but there was guys there who had thousands and i mean THOUSANDS of dollars worth of stuff... the one guy actually had a jet engine on one... it was unreal how fast the thing was...

big_poppa49
12-03-2004, 07:06 PM
Whew!! Thats why im getting an electric plane. Lot less maint.

chucked
12-03-2004, 07:09 PM
Whew!! Thats why im getting an electric plane. Lot less maint.

yea but you can only fly them for a few minutes and then wait a few hours for the batteries to charge again.

big_poppa49
12-03-2004, 07:15 PM
some but not all. I think this one you charge it for a while, like 4 hours or so, and can fly it for like 15-20 min or so. Mostly those small ones fly for like 3 min's...

chucked
12-03-2004, 07:20 PM
Originally posted by big_poppa49
some but not all. I think this one you charge it for a while, like 4 hours or so, and can fly it for like 15-20 min or so. Mostly those small ones fly for like 3 min's...

trust me, you will want a gas one in no time :-) especially when it dies before you have time to land it, lol, then you will be needing that spare propellor

bulkdriverlp
12-03-2004, 08:09 PM
a friend of mine has been in it for years, he has 3 planes, 13 controllers and a 5x10 enclosed trailer to haul all the tools and supplies in. ive watched him sit there and tinker with that damn thing for 2 hours and fly it for 1/2 hour and go home. wheeew that was fun bla bla.lmao

Hoverman
01-15-2005, 02:33 PM
I fly RC Helis and airplanes. Mostly helis though got bored with airplanes. I have flown it all except jets.I think any hobby can be expensive if not kept under control.
I fly mostly Hirobo freyas with 90 size engines and can do some pretty cool stuff with it. Took them to glamis over the new years and had some fun in the morning waiting for everyone to sober up!! :macho

Mxjunkie
01-15-2005, 03:07 PM
my pop pop gave me 4 grand worth of rc planes, 2 4 strokes and one 2 stroke, one has pontoons etc, i'll have to get some pics sometime

khen
01-15-2005, 03:34 PM
I've been flying them for years.. I started with slope soaring, then went to gas planes and now I fly high performance electrics. With todays brushless motors and LiPoly batteries you can build electric planes that can pull twice there weight(infinite vertical) and fly for 13-20 minutes on a charge. Gas planes are a pain in the butt and messy IMO.

Here is a picture of me hovering it up high. I can actually hover the plane inches from the ground now and touch the tail.

khen
01-15-2005, 03:49 PM
Here's one of my fast planes for when I just want to tear up the sky. I design and scratch build all of my planes out of EPP or Bluecore foam.

khen
01-15-2005, 03:58 PM
One last picture. :D This is a picture of my 46" wing span, scratch built Ultimite Bipe. This thing is built from EPP foam sheeting and is engineered to be almost unbreakable! You can actually fold the tail section completly over and touch the wings.

I launch this one from my hands(pointing up) and it takes off vertical in a hurry until it's a small spec in the sky.. To land it I hover it in front of me and grab it out of the air.

BTW: all my sport planes can take off on a 4' runway and go straight into a vertical climb.

HondaRancherES
01-15-2005, 05:08 PM
That's why I have the nitro R/C Trucks. I could never fly one of them. More power to the people who can.

Punk'd
01-15-2005, 10:13 PM
iv always wanted a r/c helicopter but I heard they are wayyyyy HARD to fly

big_poppa49
01-16-2005, 04:59 PM
Well. The RC airplane has already went back to the store. Why? Well when I first got it out of the box I noticed that the propeller set kinda crooked and it looked like it wouldn't fly straight, but excited anxious ol' me couldn't wait so I figured what the heck i'll try it anyway. Hand launched it off took off great went smooth then it started flying in circles (no wind by the way) and pretty much outta control and it came down on its nose and did a flip, didn't really land all that hard I didn't think. Walked over to it and the whole nose propeller and all broke right off (styrofoam (sp?) Not fixable. So I boxed it up, took it back and got my money back, said I was done with airplanes so I got this...

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid154/p9641e21c1ef23dc0588ee8e556c20f0f/f5725fc3.jpg

This is the big Racky Carmichael dirtbike at Radio Shack.

big_poppa49
01-16-2005, 05:03 PM
Well needless to say, I took it back and got my money back. Why? Ohh the dirtbike went fast. Awesome toy, jumps and pretty much goes anywhere. 1 problem. Battery didn't last but about 3 minutes TOPS. And it was NOT the battery pack. Soooooooo, I got this...

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid154/p9c2bf626a92c2c3d2e45e3b04ada11b2/f5725fc9.jpg

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid154/p5a80a26b9a205a99753872e7846411b8/f5725fc7.jpg

About a good 15 minutes of play. Goes about 15-16 MPH. Blue neon underbody lights, digital steering. You can buy spare parts, wheels, tires, body (if you need it). Hey, its not as fast and go everywhere and do everything that the gas powered ones do but it goes fast enough for me...:D

bman9
01-16-2005, 05:05 PM
i have a stick 40 plus for sale! dont remeber all the specs, havent look at it in years, but a great starter plane. pm me anyone!

jsc
01-16-2005, 07:54 PM
I have been flying electric planes for about 10 years, way before it was cool to fly electric:D The technology has grown leaps and bounds, espically within the last 4 years, with the Lipoly craze. I do alot of slope soaring and dynamic slope soaring as well as some small 3-d planes from depron and blucore.

300ex13
01-16-2005, 08:05 PM
i have a Duratrax Evader St (electric) and i got it from www.towerhobbies.com (http://www.towerhobbies.com)

they have nitro/electric planes and such there also!

efilnicafesin
01-17-2005, 06:03 AM
I've got a Firebird XL also, and it is alot of fun and easy to crash/fly. There are many spare parts including wing and body kits to replace anything that gets damaged. I've probably bought this plane 3x over already. A 15 min flight time doesn't sound like alot, but its a long time when you are staring up into the sky following this tiny little dot. :D

MY450R
01-17-2005, 06:26 AM
heres where to get the firebird and aero bird
http://www.redrockethobbies.com/display.asp?subDepartmentID=1105
i have both of them and they lasy about 10 minutes of flying time and take like 30 minutes to charge

F-16Guy
01-17-2005, 10:56 AM
If you want a fool-proof, guaranteed to fly plane, get the Firebird Outlaw. It's about $70, and someone with no R/C experience could take this thing out of the box and have it in the air in about an hour. If you're looking for a real R/C plane, the best trainer I've ever flown is the Alpha Trainer .40. It would require some lessons, but it is very stable and predictable, and with a slight headwind, it will land at about a slow jog. The Ready to Fly version comes with everything (about 98%) preassembled for about $280; you'll also need fuel and a glow plug igniter. The engine that's included is broken in and adjusted at the factory, and comes with collars on the carb needles to keep beginners from getting the engine too far out of adjustment. A truley great running and flying plane.