PDA

View Full Version : Help build an XC machine

Quad18star
12-02-2004, 07:50 PM
Aight guys ..... lets hear your Ideas for an XC YFZ 450 . Everything from gearing to pipe .... handlebars to tires . What your fix for the battery problem .... cuz the lights are comming off ... they aren't staying on my quad .

I've decided that MX isn't gunna be for me anymore , so I'd like to build up a cross country style machine ... something to blast through the woods and down open fire roads . Ive pretty much got my mind set on the Sparks exhaust ... even though it's mostly for MX ... sound in my area isn't an issue .

jshtex
12-03-2004, 11:30 AM
Originally posted by Quad18star
sound in my area isn't an issue . [/B]

It might be some day, or if you ever race GNCC, just something to think about.....

Yamaha sells a resistor kit to replace the lights, the lights came off ours the day we took it out of the truck and no battery problems so far. We do put ours on a trickle charger every so often.

Quad18star
12-03-2004, 12:16 PM
Originally posted by jshtex
It might be some day, or if you ever race GNCC, just something to think about.....

Yamaha sells a resistor kit to replace the lights, the lights came off ours the day we took it out of the truck and no battery problems so far. We do put ours on a trickle charger every so often.

I was wondering about this resistor kit . Do you know any info on it ?? What it does ... how it installs ... what the yamaha part # is . I dont even bother with my local yammy dealer cuz they are brain dead people . The told me Yamaha didn't make a kickstarter kit for the YFZ .... thats about the point when I hung up on them .

I'm up in Canada , and they don't enforce the sound issue in my neck of the woods .... plus I don't think I'll ever run any of the GNCC races .... the closest one to me , is about a full 24 hour non stop drive . Lil too much for me . ;)

jshtex
12-03-2004, 12:31 PM
I have a link to all the info about it but I am not sure what the rules are here for posting links to another forum....

Email me at jshtex@yahoo.com and I will reply back with the link.

I went ahead and pmed the info to you.

Splatter Matter
12-03-2004, 04:21 PM
here is a post on it http://www.exriders.com/vbb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=130448

Quad18star
12-04-2004, 11:38 AM
If you were to get an a-arms setup with shocks ... what would you get??

How much of a difference is there between the Elka with just preload adjustment and with the rebound adjustment ... are alot of the XC racers goign with a rebound adjustable shock??

Pappy
12-04-2004, 11:55 AM
yfz....

set of razors on hipers

+1 stem

tag bars cr double hi

ims tank

stock arms or burgard standard +1

pipe....hmf

pep chain roller

elka tripple rate with rezzies and real elka link ...or the houser with an axis.

Quad18star
12-04-2004, 12:09 PM
Thanks Kenny ..... about 1% of the way there .... I got Hipers . :p

Do most guys run stock width axle or go with a +2 " ???

Also with a +1 stem and CR double high .... I'll need cable extensions correct?? If so ... where the heck do I buy those??

tido450
12-04-2004, 12:38 PM
id stick with stock width, plus two and your pushing it, esp on tight trails, you dont wanna hook a tree.

jlhughes750
12-06-2004, 02:36 PM
I have basically a full PRO GNCC YFZ.......I only run A class though!!:rolleyes:

I am 6'2'' and here what I did.

+2 GIBSON stem w/CR high no extensions needed

GIBSON XC A-Arm kit (+1) with adjustable steering bracket to correct bumpsteer

GIBSON Tie Rod kit

GIBSON Swing Arm w/ R brake set-up RPM XC Axle and anti-fade

Axis shocks frt. and rear

Hipers (4-1 frt. to counter the +1)

2005 Stator and new resistor kit

Kick Starter kit

Also had the seat repadded for sitting for long periods of time in the XC races.

Curtis Sparks pipe (passes tech at GNCC's!!!)

Quad18star
12-06-2004, 04:58 PM
WOW ... sounds like a nice bike . How do you like the Sparks pipe??? Also where did you get your seat repadedand recovered?? And ... did you ever have electrical problems with the bike ... if so did the resistor kit help the situation?? Thanks for the info .

riggsracing
12-06-2004, 07:29 PM
holeshot hds fmf factory 4 with power bomb header. k&n. starter block off and kick starter kit. + 2 arms and - 2 swingarm. renthal bars cr hi . elka tripple rate with rezzies . +1 stem . hiper rims.
ac nerfs, skids a arm swingarm. frame ect. hand guards. duncan bumper. red number back grounds. wisco piston. web cam. port and polish. intake. rejeted. trail teck computer. and tHATS MY DREAM ATV. I WISH I HAD THAT

12-06-2004, 07:52 PM
Here is what I ran on mine last year.
HMF full system
houser +2 stem with Tag T@ cr HI
douglas shamrock wheels. with razr 2
hardkor engineering front hubs
team industries axle
PRM swing-arm skid, full body skid, and bumper
IMS quick fill tank
Braided brake lines
the little decompresion plug fix
rewound stator, and trail tech rectifier
larger battery
burgard +1 a-arms
DeRisi pro millinium kit shocks
Xfactor nerfs
and i think that is about it. or close to it. and gusseted frame

12-06-2004, 07:53 PM
Originally posted by riggsracing
holeshot hds fmf factory 4 with power bomb header. k&n. starter block off and kick starter kit. + 2 arms and - 2 swingarm. renthal bars cr hi . elka tripple rate with rezzies . +1 stem . hiper rims.
ac nerfs, skids a arm swingarm. frame ect. hand guards. duncan bumper. red number back grounds. wisco piston. web cam. port and polish. intake. rejeted. trail teck computer. and tHATS MY DREAM ATV. I WISH I HAD THAT i would suggest not doing this stuff for XC!

riggsracing
12-06-2004, 09:09 PM
how many races did u win? lol. i dont care what any body things. that would be a bad quad. i would like it . not every body can afford all that stuff but oh well who cares. and if i was making an xc quad i would put what ever i thought was the best not what some d class rider thinks

12-06-2004, 10:08 PM
Um I am an A class racer not D but anyway. with +2 a-arms you are going to have a real hard time getting around the woods. and a -2 swing arm doesn't really make any sense at all. the whole port and polish thing???? the idea in XC is to make the quad smoother not have a harder hit!

jlhughes750
12-07-2004, 08:41 AM
Hahahah no -2 swinger thats for sure, most GNCC guys went with a longer swinger to keep the frt. down....but never heard of a shorter one??????? sounds a lil RIGGED up to me....................

remember theres a huge difference between an MX and an XC bike......... a GP or Dessert quad would be a cross between the 2 , but Quadstar18 is lookin for an all out XC racer!!!

12-07-2004, 09:21 AM
JL he don't care what D class racers think so sorry your opinions are not valued! LOL of course I am kidding!

jlhughes750
12-07-2004, 01:11 PM
:D

I hope Quadstar got the info he needed!!;) We'll see if we can get him down here to a GNCC............ what about Unidilla NY.

LAter, J

Quad18star
12-07-2004, 02:03 PM
Originally posted by jlhughes750
:D

I hope Quadstar got the info he needed!!;) We'll see if we can get him down here to a GNCC............ what about Unidilla NY.

LAter, J

You all just wanna get me down there and watch me run into a tree every 30 feet dont you??? :grr: ;) I'm actually a pretty good woods rider .... never ridden on terrain that looks like Rausch Creeck but I have done my fair share of the tight trails and mud, roots etc . One of these years I'll try and make it down .... prolly as a spectator though .

ESrider
12-21-2004, 08:39 AM
I have my YFZ apart now getting ready for an XC build. What I've been seeing all the top placing guys run are setups very similar to what Pappy and GNCCer are recommending. I would say these two have the best ideas listed here.

Are there any advantages to running a long travel front end for XC? With say .5" or 1" over arms.

southbeach14
12-21-2004, 04:47 PM
get new arms the stock ones are junk. i like my housers.

mitchgncc711
12-23-2004, 08:27 PM
I would go with gnccer here know what it all about.and never shorting a bike for the woods unstable would be the worst thing in the woods.