PDA

View Full Version : 300ex FMF header seating up properly into engine?

Ben
04-20-2002, 02:34 PM
I had to take off my 300's FMF headpipe which only had about half a milimeter of space from the frame. Needless to say it was a real pain in the rear to get back on. I got it back on but I cannot get the exhaust nuts any further than completely covering the exhaust studs. In other words the two exhaust studs are completely covered by the head nuts but not sticking out much. There is about a 1/4-1/2 of an inch of space left on the other side of the head pipe flange but either I do not have a good seal and thus the flange isn't seating properly or it is just supposed to be that way. Can anyone tell me if the exhaust studs are supposed to be sticking out of the exhaust nuts? I can't seem to located any escaping fumes between the head pipe and the engine - is there any other way that smell and touch to do so? Thanks for any help you can give me.

dirtclog
04-20-2002, 03:02 PM
hey again

I have fmf headpipe and the bolts "just" poke through the end of the nuts.

pipe seats just the way you described it.

Ben
04-20-2002, 03:06 PM
Whew, thanks for your help Dirt, you don't talk too much but when you do it is always VERY helpful. Quality over quantity! Have any thoughts on my other question about a discolored valve?