PDA

View Full Version : Clutch Disengagement Problem

quadmxracer
12-02-2004, 04:14 PM
Well this is the first time I've had a problem and need some elses advice on here. So here goes. Well today I took out my old stock clutch and replaced it with a DP Clutch and replaced the pin, actuator arm, and seal also. Well here's the kicker I got it back together haven't started it yet because I was making adjustments. I put it in gear and pulled the clutch in (keep in mind its not running) and it didn't disengage it and it wouldn't go anywhere. My opinion is that the pin that goes into the bearing through the plate isn't catching, but i know its attached to the arm that the cable goes to. I didn't have time to take it back apart today but just wondered what you may think. To me its probably easy but I just figured why not use this place for what its worth. Well thanks in advance.

-Clayton Aughe

Bill Fuller
12-02-2004, 04:48 PM
Well it is common for the condition you are describing.I would make sure you have the appropriate play at the clutch perch and start it up and ride it.You have changed the oil since the new clutch I assume.After a ride or two readjust lever and see how it acts.Hope this helps.

quadmxracer
12-04-2004, 03:44 PM
Well i worked on it today and am still having problems with the clutch. I even took the time and put the stock one back in and all back together it still wont disengage when i pull in the lever. I haven't put oil in it or started it up since i put the new one in on thursday. I got the new one back in and everything back together and still when I try to roll it across the floor with the lever pulled in it catches and doesn't let me roll it anymore. I know for sure everthing is put together right, I mean its pretty much a straight forward job in the end. But this is kicking my *****.
The only question that I have is does the pressure plate have to be flush with the clutch basket or not? Well thanks in advance for the help.

-Clayton

Fingerthephone
12-04-2004, 04:16 PM
bump

quadmxracer
12-04-2004, 07:35 PM
bump

mojoe2878
12-05-2004, 12:19 AM
if the clutch lifter arm and clutch lifter are engaged properly and the cltch lifter bearing is seated properly then it should be done right. you should be able to tell if the are by how the clutch lever feels when you pull it in.
how many fiber plates did the new clutch have?
i would adjust the cable at the line by the engine and at the lever until you get the slack in it that you want, then fill it with oil and crank it and let it warm up for a little while then ride it for a little while and see if the new plates free up like they are supposed to.
also did you soak or coat all the fiber plates in oil before you installed them.

toby400ex
12-05-2004, 08:57 PM
Ive had my hd clutch in since last spring, not a high quality clutch though. When the engine is cold i cant roll the back wheels with it in gear and havin the lever in, but once its warmed up, it catches hard and disengages fine.