PDA

View Full Version : Making an k&n airbox lid

chucked
12-02-2004, 03:48 PM
What kind of filter to I use? (what kind of car is it for or what part number)

GA400ex
12-02-2004, 04:26 PM
Why do that, just get a K&N and don't use a lid unless you are riding in a place that has a lot of water. If so, I know that the 99 and up chevy fullsize trucks have pretty large rectangular filters. I even think that K&N makes a lid for the 400ex As a matter of fact here it is http://www.knfilterchargers.com/search/product.aspx?Prod=HA-4099-T

chucked
12-02-2004, 05:38 PM
Originally posted by GA400ex
Why do that, just get a K&N and don't use a lid unless you are riding in a place that has a lot of water. If so, I know that the 99 and up chevy fullsize trucks have pretty large rectangular filters. I even think that K&N makes a lid for the 400ex As a matter of fact here it is http://www.knfilterchargers.com/search/product.aspx?Prod=HA-4099-T

I need a lid, trust me, The lids they sell are about $100 bucks, why pay that when I can just buy a $40 filter and cut the current lid?

Toadz400
12-02-2004, 06:04 PM
I definately would not buy one of their lids, so you're thinking right. $100 for an air filter is a rip-off, which is pretty much what it is.

I know my '96 GMC Sonoma has a rectangular air filter, so I think basically any newer truck (95 and up) air filter would probably work well.

hondardr4life
12-02-2004, 06:25 PM
Look at www.ehsracing.com they sell racing airbox lid kits like you want. I bought 1 for my 300 and I love it

2001300exguy
12-02-2004, 09:00 PM
how much of a diff did the ehs make on ur 300. i was thinking about getting one of those, or somebody else said that one of those elastic book covers works good to

exman
12-02-2004, 10:23 PM
go buy a yamaha warrior uni air filter (there long) cut you air box lid open, cut the air filter length wise...get 4 stainless steel peices from harware store and screw that baby down, and then trim up with a razorand boom your done...and its washable just like the inside filter.

hondarider2006
12-02-2004, 10:52 PM
Try taking you lid off and using some panty hose as a cover. Sure its kinda ghetto, but hey a hell of a lot cheaper than a $100 k&n lid that does the the same thing.

chucked
12-03-2004, 05:31 AM
Originally posted by hondarider2006
Try taking you lid off and using some panty hose as a cover. Sure its kinda ghetto, but hey a hell of a lot cheaper than a $100 k&n lid that does the the same thing.

no thats just bad

PunkA$$
12-03-2004, 08:22 AM
If you're modifying your airbox lid and want to prevent water from entering the airbox, try fabricating some sort of barrier on the sides of the airbox. That seems to be where the majority of the water enters after being splashed off the tires.

What I did, was contact cement a piece of vinyl to the underside of the rear fenders (where the little slots are) and drape it down along the length of the airbox between the airbox and the sub-frame on both sides.

This, along with a decent (modified) lid, completley eliminated water in my airbox. Before I had to slow down to first gear and creep through puddles and streams. Now I don't even think about it.

I'd like to post a picture of this to give you a clearer description but I don't have a camera. Anyhow if you actually want to try it let me know and I'll describe it in a little more detail.

hondardr4life
12-03-2004, 01:21 PM
The EHS lid does make a nice difference. You can really notice a better snap when you hit on the gas. And it is also water and dirtproof. For the money, it is the best airbox mod you can buy.

chucked
12-03-2004, 02:35 PM
Originally posted by Punk*****
If you're modifying your airbox lid and want to prevent water from entering the airbox, try fabricating some sort of barrier on the sides of the airbox. That seems to be where the majority of the water enters after being splashed off the tires.

What I did, was contact cement a piece of vinyl to the underside of the rear fenders (where the little slots are) and drape it down along the length of the airbox between the airbox and the sub-frame on both sides.

This, along with a decent (modified) lid, completley eliminated water in my airbox. Before I had to slow down to first gear and creep through puddles and streams. Now I don't even think about it.

I'd like to post a picture of this to give you a clearer description but I don't have a camera. Anyhow if you actually want to try it let me know and I'll describe it in a little more detail.

Well that that will hold up air flow and look ghetto,

PunkA$$
12-03-2004, 02:48 PM
Originally posted by chucked
Well that that will hold up air flow and look ghetto,

It does look a little ghetto, but I assure you it doesn't hold up airflow and it keeps the water and mud out beautifully. If you haven't ridden alot with the lid off yet you'll soon see why you need something. Unless you don't mind stopping at every puddle and stream.

JR3
12-03-2004, 04:54 PM
from ehs racing This cover is recommended for a jetted quad. It will greatly improve how clean your filter stays compared to when you are forced to run no lid at all. The material is made specifically by outerware for this cover, all edges are taped so no frying or tearing. The filter is also made out of a water resistant material so it will keep almost all of the water out of you airbox. Cleaning is also super easy just take the whole cover off and wash it under the sink. All aluminum plates are CNC cut for exact precision with EHS RACING engraved in every one. SATISFACTION GUARANTEED !!!

http://www.ehsracing.com/products/images/400ex/400ex_lside.jpg

chucked
12-03-2004, 05:11 PM
Originally posted by JR3
from ehs racing This cover is recommended for a jetted quad. It will greatly improve how clean your filter stays compared to when you are forced to run no lid at all. The material is made specifically by outerware for this cover, all edges are taped so no frying or tearing. The filter is also made out of a water resistant material so it will keep almost all of the water out of you airbox. Cleaning is also super easy just take the whole cover off and wash it under the sink. All aluminum plates are CNC cut for exact precision with EHS RACING engraved in every one. SATISFACTION GUARANTEED !!!

http://www.ehsracing.com/products/images/400ex/400ex_lside.jpg

theyre too expensive and what does " This cover is recommended for a jetted quad" mean?

exman
12-03-2004, 06:35 PM
That is exackly how i made mine, i used a uni filter, cut the pieces and made it to look exackly like that cost was around 40 bucks